New Phone - Moto One Vision - Mini Review

Anomnomnomaly

Firstly... I tend to buy budget phones... towards the upper end of the scale. My budget is normally around the £200 price range. I'm not on any kind of contract, sim only for so long I can't remember. I pay £10 a month for unlimited calls/txts and 7GB of data.  I've never once used up all of my data. I don't believe in wasting money of the latest expensive shiny, I'm not a fan of silly brand overlays and a complete lack of proper support and security updates... I refuse to buy into the 'idiot tax' of certain brands in the same way I avoid buying cars with German badges on them that are inferior cars at excessive prices.

My old phone was the Moto G5 S Plus... Had it for getting on towards 3yrs now... Nothing wrong with it at all... But my mum's phone was my previous old one from 2015, and it's getting old and annoying for her to use. So I thought I'd upgrade and give her mine again.

First impressions have been ok, been using it for about 4-5 days now. I like the taller screen, I like the lack of a notch on the top... instead it has a little hole punch for the camera. Thin bezels are good, the sound quality is surprisingly good and the screen is crisp and clear. performance wise, it's pretty snappy, the fingerprint sensor is very fast and the 128GB of storage and 4GB ram make it responsive and very useful. 8core CPU

The camera is pretty good, 48mp in a quad 12mp layout giving you a very nice 12mp final image... it's not fantastic in night vision mode but then not many are and none in this price range. The front camera is a 25mp one and is surprisingly good. But one of it's sweet tricks... and something I've been saying needed to be done on ALL camera phones since the invention of the idiotic portrait filming).. is a video camera that you can hold in portrait mode, but still films in landscape... EXACTLY HOW IT ALWAYS SHOULD HAVE BEEN!!!  This feature alone is worth a thousand praises.

What I really like though, and the main reason that I tend to buy motorola phones these days... is the near vanilla android experience. Very little in the way of baked in apps and the motorola stuff can easily be removed or disabled... They also promise at least 2 OS updates and 3yrs of security updates. Which is roughly the best support you can get outside of googles own products.

Comes with a nice 15w turbo charger, and I can get this from a 30% to an 80% charge in 20-30 mins.

It retailed at £270 here in the UK, but I paid £209... So roughly within my max budget.

So far... if you're in the market for a budget phone... I'm not sure there's a better option at this price point.

System 1: Gigabyte Aorus B450 Pro, Ryzen 5 2600X, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz, Sapphire 5700XT, 250GB NVME WD Black, 2x Crucial MX5001TB, 2x Seagate 3TB, H115i AIO, Sharkoon BW9000 case with corsair ML fans, EVGA G2 Gold 650W Modular PSU, liteon bluray/dvd/rw.. NO RGB aside from MB and AIO pump. Triple 27" Monitor setup (1x 144hz, 2x 75hz, all freesync/freesync 2)

System 2: Asus M5 MB, AMD FX8350, 16GB DDR3, Sapphire RX580, 30TB of storage, 250GB SSD, Silverstone HTPC chassis, Corsair 550W Modular PSU, Noctua cooler, liteon bluray/dvd/rw, 4K HDR display (Samsung TV)

System 3 & 4: nVidia shield TV (2017 & 2019) Pro with extra 128GB samsung flash drives.

17 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

The One Vision has exceptionally good camera for its price.

It has optical stabilisation, which makes low-light shots very very good. This is almost always exclusive to flagship phones.

OIS also works in all video recording modes from the rear cam. The 1080p recording is especially well stabilised with additional EIS enabled.

But for someone who doesnt care about the camera and wants endurance or gaming performance, I'd rather recommend the Xiaomi Mi A3 which is £170 from Amazon UK. It runs Android One.

yeah, low light is ok... but it has a night vision mode, and that introduces a lot of digital grain in my opinion. but then every camera on every phone I've owned has done that.

Having a reasonable camera is kinda important for opportunist snaps and the zoom on this is quite impressive, I've got a decent camera for when I want to take proper pictures.

System 1: Gigabyte Aorus B450 Pro, Ryzen 5 2600X, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz, Sapphire 5700XT, 250GB NVME WD Black, 2x Crucial MX5001TB, 2x Seagate 3TB, H115i AIO, Sharkoon BW9000 case with corsair ML fans, EVGA G2 Gold 650W Modular PSU, liteon bluray/dvd/rw.. NO RGB aside from MB and AIO pump. Triple 27" Monitor setup (1x 144hz, 2x 75hz, all freesync/freesync 2)

System 2: Asus M5 MB, AMD FX8350, 16GB DDR3, Sapphire RX580, 30TB of storage, 250GB SSD, Silverstone HTPC chassis, Corsair 550W Modular PSU, Noctua cooler, liteon bluray/dvd/rw, 4K HDR display (Samsung TV)

System 3 & 4: nVidia shield TV (2017 & 2019) Pro with extra 128GB samsung flash drives.