Steam Streaming on Chromebooks

Hi, currently I am interested in the growing Chromebook market and would like a small cheap laptop for school. If I get something cheap like tablet or chromebook now instead of an ultrabook I can save up money to later get a gaming laptop for gaming away from home and still have the chromebook with the great battery life. 

I am looking to use this chromebook for general usage, its not powerful to do anything more so in a way it would be a great way to restrict my wasting of time in classes.

*Typing lectures notes.

*Doing work for classes.

*Watching video's.

*Travel

Basically a chromebook covers that in a third of the cost of what I would call a respectable ultrabook. I am not worried about the online use since my school has WiFi, there are offline apps and I plan to run Ubuntu on it.

This is where the streaming comes in. From the Steam OS videos on NCIXcom and LinusTechTips it was said that with a main computer host with a good GPU and a client with a reasonable CPU, you can stream games to the client.

Is the HP Chromebook 14's Intel Celeron 2955U (based on Haswell) and 4GB of RAM fast enough to stream to the Ubuntu portion of the Chromebook. 

Has anyone tried this? 

It would be cool if I could use the chromebook for something else. 

I am mostly sure I want a chromebook and not a tablet+keyboard combo for notes. In my opinion chromebook beats most android tablets in almost everyway such as more or equal battery life, bigger screen, keyboard, touchpad. 

I am not into tablets I prefer laptop style so thats why chromebook.  And it's gaining popularity and already has plenty of apps.

The HP Chrombook 14 seems to beat the Toshiba, Dell, Samsung, in terms of performance and quality.

Thank you.

Hi, currently I am interested in the growing Chromebook market and would like a small cheap laptop for school. If I get something cheap like tablet or chromebook now instead of an ultrabook I can save up money to later get a gaming laptop for gaming away from home and still have the chromebook with the great battery life. 

I am looking to use this chromebook for general usage, its not powerful to do anything more so in a way it would be a great way to restrict my wasting of time in classes.

*Typing lectures notes.

*Doing work for classes.

*Watching video's.

*Travel

Basically a chromebook covers that in a third of the cost of what I would call a respectable ultrabook. I am not worried about the online use since my school has WiFi, there are offline apps and I plan to run Ubuntu on it.

This is where the streaming comes in. From the Steam OS videos on NCIXcom and LinusTechTips it was said that with a main computer host with a good GPU and a client with a reasonable CPU, you can stream games to the client.

Is the HP Chromebook 14's Intel Celeron 2955U (based on Haswell) and 4GB of RAM fast enough to stream to the Ubuntu portion of the Chromebook. 

Has anyone tried this? 

It would be cool if I could use the chromebook for something else. 

I am mostly sure I want a chromebook and not a tablet+keyboard combo for notes. In my opinion chromebook beats most android tablets in almost everyway such as more or equal battery life, bigger screen, keyboard, touchpad. 

I am not into tablets I prefer laptop style so thats why chromebook.  And it's gaining popularity and already has plenty of apps.

The HP Chrombook 14 seems to beat the Toshiba, Dell, Samsung, in terms of performance and quality.

Thank you.

I have a Lenovo ThinkPad X131e and it can't be used for much except downloading apps off of google chrome store.

My n00Build http://pcpartpicker.com/user/NameOfNoInterest/saved/ 

Do you really expect me to know things? 

$25.67/$~2500 (Price changes hourly..) I'm 1/100th of the way there!

Thats an interesting proposal, except one major problem is see is the graphics. Because I'm pretty sure you need a GPU or CPU that can decode H.264 to run game stream at any usable level. So make sure your Chromebook has that processing power.

My Build

- i5 4670k @ 4.4GHz - MSI z87m Mobo - 16Gb 1866MHz RAM - MSI R9 290 - Samsung 840 EVO 250Gb - 2 x 1Tb WD Blue - CX600m - H55 AIO cooler - Fractal Node 804 - Lg 25um64-s Ultrawide screen monitor -  http://pcpartpicker.com/user/colec18/saved/9FKXsY

Thats an interesting proposal, except one major problem is see is the graphics. Because I'm pretty sure you need a GPU or CPU that can decode H.264 to run game stream at any usable level. So make sure your Chromebook has that processing power.

That is why I am asking. You need GPU on the Host machine and CPU on the Client machine. According to Linus almost any CPU works and he had a few tablet PC mentioned so I want a comparison between the Intel Celeron 2955U vs Tablets vs an average laptop. There should be enough power from the Celeron to run the game around 30fps. The chromebooks (except for the pixel) do not have higher than 1366x768 so I believe this to be a reasonable suggestion. I believe the major hurdle will be doing to over WiFi because no Ethernet but thats the point of streaming anyways so it should be fine.

EDIT

I feel like this could be a new subject in terms of benchmarking. 

Can it run Crysis? Can it run Minecraft? Can it AT LEAST stream?

That is why I am asking. You need GPU on the Host machine and CPU on the Client machine. According to Linus almost any CPU works and he had a few tablet PC mentioned so I want a comparison between the Intel Celeron 2955U vs Tablets vs an average laptop. There should be enough power from the Celeron to run the game around 30fps. The chromebooks (except for the pixel) do not have higher than 1366x768 so I believe this to be a reasonable suggestion. I believe the major hurdle will be doing to over WiFi because no Ethernet but thats the point of streaming anyways so it should be fine.

EDIT

I feel like this could be a new subject in terms of benchmarking. 

Can it run Crysis? Can it run Minecraft? Can it AT LEAST stream?

It should be able to decode the info fine at 720p, wont be able to run games but it could stream.

My Build

- i5 4670k @ 4.4GHz - MSI z87m Mobo - 16Gb 1866MHz RAM - MSI R9 290 - Samsung 840 EVO 250Gb - 2 x 1Tb WD Blue - CX600m - H55 AIO cooler - Fractal Node 804 - Lg 25um64-s Ultrawide screen monitor -  http://pcpartpicker.com/user/colec18/saved/9FKXsY

It should be able to decode the info fine at 720p, wont be able to run games but it could stream.

Thats what I wanted to know. Some stats would be great, I was hoping someone else might have tried it thats why I posted this.