New PC Build

justcode

Hi everyone, I plan to get a new pc in next few days, so I will present you what I have been planning to get (with the prices I can get), and I would like you to look if that is best for the money, or something else

1. INTEL Core i7-8700K 3.70GHz 1151 300 BOX - 383.37
2. ASROCK Z390 Extreme 4 - 183.35 USD
3. 2x16GB G.SKILL 16GB Trident Z RGB DDR4 3600MHz (total 32GB) - 133.34 USD

So these are the main components I want to get, with some case, cooling system etc. I live in europe, so the pricing is a bit different than in the US. Do you think this is okay setup for the money or to get something else? What I am going to do on the system is video editing, photo editing + programming and other not so cpu consuming things. 

Please also suggest me some cooling system, which is not so expensive but still okay. I would try to OC the cpu to 5.0 as it seems that is something everyone does. 

Currently I did all these things on old laptop with i7 3630qm, which was slow and it is time to upgrade. 

I did see the AMD is become better in the last time, but still it is too expensive in the europe, plus I don't thing that would bring me too much for now. 

Thank you

it looks like an OK setup for the money. the other components will matter too, like ssd, case, psu.

ryzen 7 3700x is comparable in performance (better in some tasks - multithreaded ones, as it has more cores, slower in others-single threaded ones, as it's a bit slower). you might want to check the price of that, if it's cheaper than the 8700k, I would recommend it.

15 minutes ago, justcode said:

I live in europe

Where ?

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

I did check out for the 3700X, but it looks like they are the same price. So I was thinking maybe it's still better to get intel and do the OC. Which ssd, case and psu would you recommend for this setup? I do have some old psu corsair tx 750w which I am not sure if its good for this setup? 

I live in Bosnia and Herzegovina.

Umm...if you aren't gaming...I'd get a 3700x before a 8700k...cost less, but more threads.  I think it comes with a cooler?  Then add a m.2 970 EVO Plus to your motherboard...she be quick ;)

2 minutes ago, justcode said:

corsair tx 750w

it's a good psu.

with ryzen you'd need a gpu as well, as it doesn't have an integrated one like intel.

depending on prices, i'd get crucial mx sata ssd or a nvme ssd, there are plenty of good ones, depends on the market.

get a case with a mesh front so it has good airflow.

9 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

it looks like an OK setup for the money. the other components will matter too, like ssd, case, psu.

ryzen 7 3700x is comparable in performance (better in some tasks - multithreaded ones, as it has more cores, slower in others-single threaded ones, as it's a bit slower). you might want to check the price of that, if it's cheaper than the 8700k, I would recommend it.

Comparable???

8700k is comparable to a 3600/3600x.

I'd recommend a Ryzen 5 3600 over 8700k.

Better gaming performance, better multicore performance, better ipc, 7nm, better upgrade path.

SSD TIER LIST

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X

Mobo - ASRock X470 Taichi

Memory - G.Skill Trident Z RGB (8x2 3200MHz) 

Storage - Sabrent Rocket 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 2TBWD Black 1TB

GPU - MSI GeForce GTX 980Ti LIGHTNING

CaseFractal Design Meshify C

PSUSuper Flower Leadex II Gold 650W

2 minutes ago, Stu_Bear said:

m.2 970 EVO Plus

it's overpriced, there are ssd's for half the price and almost the same speed

They lowered the price to $69.99 for the 256gb model recently on the amazonian site...

2 minutes ago, Stu_Bear said:

They lowered the price to $69.99 for the 256gb model recently on the amazonian site...

Sabrent rocket, ex950, m9pe, pilot-e cost around $60 for the 500gb varients.

They are almost similar in performance, if not better while costing way less.

SSD TIER LIST

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X

I would say getting m.2 970 EVO Plus is not a big deal, as I would still have to get ssd in any way. 250GB in my country costs 72.22 USD, so that's fine. The biggest question now is if the 8700k OC vs 3700x in the video editing (where multi thread metter), photo editing (where single cpu matter) + everyday things (where I think both cpu are good enough and wont matter)

5 minutes ago, VEXICUS said:

Comparable???

8700k is comparable to a 3600/3600x.

I'd recommend a Ryzen 5 3600 over 8700k.

Better gaming performance, better multicore performance, better ipc, 7nm, better upgrade path.

you're right, i've just looked at some benchmarks. even the 2700x beats the 8700k in video editing and rendering.

so yes, if that's you're budget, go for 3700x, if you want to save some money, go for 3600.

Ok, I just checked linus video about 3700x and saw it's even better than the i9 9900k, which is more than enough for me, to move from initial idea of going with intel, to use AMD. Now since I never used AMD, the question would be, which motherboard and ram would be good? Can I still use PSU corsair tx 750w or I need to use something else? Many thanks for all of you, who helped me

see if you can find an asus x570 or gigabite aorus x570 board. if they are too expensive, msi b450 a-pro, gaming plus or tomahawk are good as well.

for ram, 3600MHz is the sweet spot, see if you can find C16 or C17 instead of C18. but not for unreasonable price. 

the tx750 will still be fine. but you'll need a gpu.

Which gpu would you recommend (looking for the ones that are not crazy expensive, but still usable for this setup)

Just now, justcode said:

Which gpu would you recommend (looking for the ones that are not crazy expensive, but still usable for this setup)

do you need it for anything? plan to do any gaming or use any software that would utilise the gpu?

I didn't played games for years, so that is not in my focus. I would say it would be good to be supported by the adobe as I do use premiere pro, after effetcs (but not everyday), lightroom, photoshop 

Yeah 3700x looks like a great choice...wish I had one.  750w PSU is plenty...never have to worry about having enough power.  I'd "try" to get a x570 board just so you get all the bells and whistles of the latest and greatest.  RAM...at least 2 sticks...at least a total of 16gb...at least 3600mhz ?  Not sure if all x570 boards support 3600 ?  I'd still strongly suggest a m.2 NVMe hard drive as your boot drive...it is awesome. I'd suggest getting a 2nd sata-ssd for storing media/games.  See below...I'd personally get 32gb of ram, but it's an added expense.

image.thumb.png.8bba871f75a8c494f46e0b8049337ccc.png

9 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

see if you can find an asus x570 or gigabite aorus x570 board. if they are too expensive, msi b450 a-pro, gaming plus or tomahawk are good as well.

for ram, 3600MHz is the sweet spot, see if you can find C16 or C17 instead of C18. but not for unreasonable price. 

the tx750 will still be fine. but you'll need a gpu.

I'll recommend the max varients of those boards as they support zen2 CPUs out of the box.

SSD TIER LIST

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X

7 minutes ago, justcode said:

I didn't played games for years, so that is not in my focus. I would say it would be good to be supported by the adobe as I do use premiere pro, after effetcs (but not everyday), lightroom, photoshop 

seems like premiere pro likes nvidia cards with loads of video ram. depending on your budget, the cheapest new card with 6gb ram is the 1660, with 8gb is the 2060 super.

if you want to go used, get a 1070, also with 8gb.

4 minutes ago, Stu_Bear said:

Yeah 3700x looks like a great choice...wish I had one.  750w PSU is plenty...never have to worry about having enough power.  I'd "try" to get a x570 board just so you get all the bells and whistles of the latest and greatest.  RAM...at least 2 sticks...at least a total of 16gb...at least 3600mhz ?  Not sure if all x570 boards support 3600 ?  I'd still strongly suggest a m.2 NVMe hard drive as your boot drive...it is awesome. I'd suggest getting a 2nd sata-ssd for storing media/games.  See below...I'd personally get 32gb of ram, but it's an added expense.

image.thumb.png.8bba871f75a8c494f46e0b8049337ccc.png

I wish the pricing is the same in my country. Here only the CPU is 40$ more. But will see at the end how much market will take money from my pockets. I will go with the 32GB RAM 3600 with 16GB per slot

4 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

seems like premiere pro likes nvidia cards with loads of video ram. depending on your budget, the cheapest new card with 6gb ram is the 1660, with 8gb is the 2060 super.

if you want to go used, get a 1070, also with 8gb.

I found 1070 8GB for 190USD used one, so I will try to get that into my budget somehow 

Anyone know's why would 1950x be better than the 8700k, but 3700x (cheaper than 1950x), would be better than 8700k?

Here is the linus video