Monitor recommendations for a 1070ti System, ideal budget ~250-350 USD

Hey Yall,

would like to ask some help/opinion from this community.

I need a monitor. I'm in Asia so I want to grab smth of the local shops so I can just pick it up, no shipping needed.

Local offer with G-Sync certified is e.g. a ASUS VG258Q @330USD

System: GPU 1070ti, i-9700k 3.6ghz, ROG strix z390e, .... 

Wanted size: 24-25 inch (reason, size is more comfortable at the distance I'll be sitting and my 1070ti is not quite enough yet to really consider 1440p)

Panel: TN or IPS, IPS preferred for some prettier scenes and because I can hopefully spare the upgrade money.

Budget: money is not really an issue, I just want to spend a reasonable amount to get bang for buck and not some high end performance at disproportional cost,

Question becomes: Should I just call it a day and go with the asus? Can't go wrong with it?

Or am I backing myself in a corner here by spending too much/too little, or buying the wrong panel.

Gsync compatible/gsync/gsync ultimate ?  I am a bit lost....

Thank you for reading!

(edited for clarity)

Edited by GinTonic

1. What games will you be playing?
2. When will you next upgrade the monitor?

3. Do you use it for work or consuming HRD content?

4. When will you next upgrade the graphics card?

There are may things you need to consider. Here are a few guidelines imo.

IPS>TN when it comes to picture quality. But if you need pro gaming speed on your panel, TN might be worth considering.

Your investment in the monitor should be figured out based on how long do you intent to use it+GPU and re-sell rates in your local markets etc. Do some research.

You card can push games at 1440p, AAA titles should give you 70fps, games like CSGO should take you much higher in fps count. In general look at the games you play and try to figure the bottleneck in your system. Try to match it with your monitor for the very value for money today. However you can also invest in a mid range monitor that might last you for 3 more years esp if you're planning to upgrade your GPU in the near future.

If you give us options between specific monitors, we can be more useful.

Th

1 hour ago, gorgor said:

1. What games will you be playing?
2. When will you next upgrade the monitor?

3. Do you use it for work or consuming HRD content?

4. When will you next upgrade the graphics card?

There are may things you need to consider. Here are a few guidelines imo.

IPS>TN when it comes to picture quality. But if you need pro gaming speed on your panel, TN might be worth considering.

Your investment in the monitor should be figured out based on how long do you intent to use it+GPU and re-sell rates in your local markets etc. Do some research.

You card can push games at 1440p, AAA titles should give you 70fps, games like CSGO should take you much higher in fps count. In general look at the games you play and try to figure the bottleneck in your system. Try to match it with your monitor for the very value for money today. However you can also invest in a mid range monitor that might last you for 3 more years esp if you're planning to upgrade your GPU in the near future.

If you give us options between specific monitors, we can be more useful.

I knew I forgot some things there...

In order:

1. Top of my head what my GPU will have to chew on is: Squad, Witcher 3, Borderlands 3 (soon), Escape From Tarkov (maybe), and maybe some battlefield or other online coop games, red dead? COD? (~).

2. I am not planning on upgrading this Monitor any time soon. See 4., sure nice if the monitor has some upward mobility.

3. Exclusively gaming, so yeah, bad viewing angles in a TN is not that big of a deal

4. GPU was used from a friend, a steal at 130USD, I plan to keep this card at least 2-3 years, suspect I then I may start looking for an upgrade.

Thanks for the summary/guidelines, it helps.

I know IPS is not that fast, but since I am not playing CSGO/Squad/similar competitively I am willing to make some concessions when it comes to picture quality. Keep in mind that i've never experienced the difference, so that is where I rely on friends/advise to pick the right thing.

I wasn't sure if i could do 1440p, good to know the GPU should be able to do it, (i am downloading the benchmarks to see what I am capable of now), but either way, ssinceI am sticking with 24 inch, the 1440p can be disregarded for now.

Bottleneck -> exactly what I am trying to find out, but not knowing much about how to interpret results makes it a bit difficult, following guides and I'll fire up 3Dmark later.

Sadly I have no closer choice as of now, I just started looking and trying my best to figure out what my PC could even handle. (it is a ~1500 USD rig, hand selected/picked)

Okay, given that you will be moving of to Red Dead2, Borderlands etc... I am not sure as to the kind of FPS you will be looking at. I suggest you should look into that. If its not much above 60FPS, then you might also consider TVs as an option for their picture quality given that superfast response is not required.

IMO, the 1070Ti should be sitting in between the 2060 ans 1660Ti for most games.

Given you have a powerful CPU, almost always you will find the GPU to be your bottleneck especially as you start cranking up the settings. I suggest look for the benchmarks of the games you play. If you can push to 100+FPS, you can consider an IPS that takes you there (TN will also not give you good colours). On the other hand if you are going to play games like Tomb Raider which have HDR support and you find the benchmarks to be around the 60fps mark for your desired settings, consider investing in a monitor with excellent colours and maybe HDR support or maybe even a TV for couch gaming if you think that might work for you.

But dont go 4K as IMO you will be looking at sub-40/50FPS.

Edited by gorgor
Last Sentence

Couch gaming is very unlikely. But what I mean to get at is that I am willing to make a small concession towards picture quality since I am not playing the games I like to play very competitively. 

Would you have me a tip on how I can find out about benchmark for yet unreleased games?

I've run the machine through userbenchmark/3dmark/heaven/ and one more thing I can't remember but as you say the context is important.

• 1 month later...

Hey,

Sorry for the late response. Work caught up with me.

You can look up at gaming benchmarks based on your GPU.

Understandthe games use GPU+CPU for different stuff. So while your AI remembers would use CPU, also certain physics calculations might be CPU, other things like the actual image rendering (so resolution etc) is done by the GPU. Now your ideal system is when you have both kind of hand in hand at doing things for whatever games you play.

Performing benchmarks like heaven/3dmark etc will give you theoretical results which test the whole system CPU+GPU+RAM(basically your entire build) in different ways. If you are concerned about certain games, try to go through their game specific benchmarks, or run them yourself. You can find many resources online on how to.