Amateur musician's pc

SalvorH

This is for a friend of my brother's. His budget is around 700-800€ (roughly around 1000 USD).

He's into guitars so he asked for a good sound card, so he can do whatever guitarists do on their pc (I'm completely clueless when it comes to this). He's also not an extreme user or gamer, though as he said he plays the occasional Call of Duty, Battlefield or LOL game.

Based on all that I'm looking for suggestions for a case and whatever else is going to go in it. Monitors or mouse/keyboard, he did not ask for.

Your help will be greatly appreciated!

CPU: R5 3600 (OC 4.3GHz - 1.175v) Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC GPU: ASUS TUF RTX 3060 Ti OC 8GB

RAM: Ballistix Sport LT 16GB 3600CL15 Monitor: AOC Q27G2U VA 1440p/144Hz Boot SSD: 850 EVO 256GB PSU: CORSAIR TX550M

Cooler: Hyper 212 Black Case: Phanteks Eclipse P350X Keyboard: Corsair K70 Mouse: Logitech G502

Does he just want to plug the guitar into an interface or does he want to mic up an amp? Also, what country are you in?

hello

Does he just want to plug the guitar into an interface or does he want to mic up an amp?

I'm afraid I have no idea. Can suggestions be made for both cases?

CPU: R5 3600 (OC 4.3GHz - 1.175v) Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC GPU: ASUS TUF RTX 3060 Ti OC 8GB

RAM: Ballistix Sport LT 16GB 3600CL15 Monitor: AOC Q27G2U VA 1440p/144Hz Boot SSD: 850 EVO 256GB PSU: CORSAIR TX550M

Cooler: Hyper 212 Black Case: Phanteks Eclipse P350X Keyboard: Corsair K70 Mouse: Logitech G502

Sorry but I don't know what your currency is so this might be slightly above budget for you

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2Rq9j

Bro wat up wit dat PSU?

OP - Will he be recording? If so will he use a mic, or plug the guitar directly into the PC? What headphones does he use? Ask him if you don't know. 

Sorry but I don't know what your currency is so this might be slightly above budget for you

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2Rq9j

My currency is Euros, it's in my op. Anyway, thank you for the suggestion! Though as others have said the psu seems a bit overkill.

OP - Will he be recording? If so will he use a mic, or plug the guitar directly into the PC? What headphones does he use? Ask him if you don't know. 

So, I asked a few questions and the answer is yes, he will be recording. And he said he wants to use a mic as well some times.

As for headphones he has some no name cheap stuff but is looking into buying better ones. I have no more info on that.

My currency is Euros, it's in my op. Anyway, thank you for the suggestion! Though as others have said the psu seems a bit overkill.

So, I asked a few questions and the answer is yes, he will be recording. And he said he wants to use a mic as well some times.

As for headphones he has some no name cheap ones but is looking into buying better ones, I have no more info on that.

Does he have a mic?

Does he have a mic?

I believe so, yes. But I don't know brand or specifications.

I think you can better look for an external recording solution - the xonar's inputs are kinda meh

~non cogito, ergo non sum?~

Why did you put such a overkill psu for this build when its not needed at all

Oh whoops that was leftover from an old build :P

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

I think you can better look for an external recording solution - the xonar's inputs are kinda meh

Any specific suggestions?

Also, more suggestions about the rest of the build would be appreciated too.

Any specific suggestions?

Also, more suggestions about the rest of the build would be appreciated too.

I'm not really sure what the better options are, only that the xonar line isn't the best option for inputs. Other than that the 8320 is an excellent cpu but that mobo is somewhat annoying with it, I have the exact same board and the mouse is laggy in the bios (I checked this and this is 'normal') and it doesn't like the amount of power the 8320 needs that much. I think asus has some boards for the same price that are fine. Avoid the asrock 970 extreme3 though, very many are doa. Finally I would get a somewhat cheaper case and use the money spared to get a 260x or 270 instead of that 7770.

http://de.pcpartpicker.com/p/2RrKo Not sure if the sound card is needed  MayflowerElectronics ShearMe

How versed is he with computers?

Not that versed. He can turn it on and off, do the basic stuff regular people do, play some games, browse the internet. But that's about it.

I'm not really sure what the better options are, only that the xonar line isn't the best option for inputs. Other than that the 8320 is an excellent cpu but that mobo is somewhat annoying with it, I have the exact same board and the mouse is laggy in the bios (I checked this and this is 'normal') and it doesn't like the amount of power the 8320 needs that much. I think asus has some boards for the same price that are fine. Avoid the asrock 970 extreme3 though, very many are doa. Finally I would get a somewhat cheaper case and use the money spared to get a 260x or 270 instead of that 7770.

Ok, thank you.

Not that versed. He can turn it on and off, do the basic stuff regular people do, play some games, browse the internet. But that's about it.

Could you OC the 8320 for him? Or should 3.5GHz be fine for him?

Could you OC the 8320 for him? Or should 3.5GHz be fine for him?

I think he should be fine at stock but if necessary I can help him oc, no problem.

I think he should be fine at stock but if necessary I can help him oc, no problem.

Awesome. Then my suggested build would be the best. Although still not sure about the sound card...  MayflowerElectronics ShearMe HELP ME DAMMIT

EDIT - Boy that was a bad spelling mistake...

Edited by TheBreaker

Awesome. Then my suggested build would be the best. Although still not sure about the sound card...  MayflowerElectronics ShearMe HELP ME DAMMIT

EDIT - Boy that was a bad spelling mistake...

What makes you so uncertain about the sound card? What would be better suited for the job?

What makes you so uncertain about the sound card? What would be better suited for the job?

Im not uncertain, I just have no clue if its necessary. 

The 8320 can easily be oc'd to 3.8 or more ghz on stock voltage with just upping the multiplier. As for the inputs: I think there ins't much difference between the onboard and xonar I think, and keep in mind there's only one so if you want to use a mic and a guitar you'll have to use a mixer.

Where are you shopping/located? Is a copy of Windows needed?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Where are you shopping/located? Is a copy of Windows needed?

No copy of windows needed, he already has Win 7 & 8 licences. Location is Europe, shoping can be done by Amazon or other local shops, online or not.

No copy of windows needed, he already has Win 7 & 8 licences. Location is Europe, shoping can be done by Amazon or other local shops, online or not.

Be more specific please? Europe is quite a broad area.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Be more specific please? Europe is quite a broad area.

Greece