50% idle GPU usage

My PC has worked fine until recently. I have been experiencing some weird things with my R9 390X.

Problem(s): A couple weeks ago there were some stutters that I timed at every 5 seconds (even at idle) that would drop my utilization far below what they should have been (when gaming stuttering below 30% utilization from 100% every 5 seconds) that have since stopped. Now I am getting weird usage readings with my monitoring software. At idle, both HWMonitor and Task Manager say that my GPU is at 50% usage on idle with nothing open (task manager says that its 'video encoding'), whereas the AMD performance overlay metrics are saying 0% GPU utilization. 

What I've done already: I did a virus scan (no virus' found), checked my drivers (are the latest), closed things in task manager (didn't help), uninstalled a few programs (didn't help either), and checked to see if my overclock was causing a utilization error (had same utilization after reverting back to stock settings).

Question: Is this normal?

PS: I don't have any 3D or moving desktop backgrounds installed

Pictures (taken at idle with nothing else open):

Task Manager

taskmanager.PNG.b744729af8cbb0c68c04e430c07bb7d9.PNG

HWMonitor

hwmonitor.PNG.0ab3f07609e2bc78044565058e38164d.PNG

AMD Performance Metrics Overlay

metricsoverlay.PNG.8bc8be193a1d6a07123b262a2da94755.PNG

In the details section of task manager you should be able to sort by gpu usage.

CPU - FX 8350 @ 4.5GHZ GPU - Radeon 5700  Mobo - M5A99FX Pro R2.0 RAM - Crucial Ballistix 16GB @ 1600 PSU - Corsair CX600M CPU Cooler - Hyper 212 EVO Storage - Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Blue 1TB

it's only showing one aspect of the gpu being used at 50% and..... it's windows monitor which is an awful way to gauge gpu usage.

there actually isn't a proper way to determine gpu usage at all on a computer. Most usage % are actually the ammount of time the gpu is considered to be busy and not really how much of the gpu is being used.

I'd focus more on the stutters than the usage

10 minutes ago, KnowledgeByTech said:

My PC has worked fine until recently. I have been experiencing some weird things with my R9 390X.

Problem(s): A couple weeks ago there were some stutters that I timed at every 5 seconds (even at idle) that would drop my utilization far below what they should have been (when gaming stuttering below 30% utilization from 100% every 5 seconds) that have since stopped. Now I am getting weird usage readings with my monitoring software. At idle, both HWMonitor and Task Manager say that my GPU is at 50% usage on idle with nothing open (task manager says that its 'video encoding'), whereas the AMD performance overlay metrics are saying 0% GPU utilization. 

What I've done already: I did a virus scan (no virus' found), checked my drivers (are the latest), closed things in task manager (didn't help), uninstalled a few programs (didn't help either), and checked to see if my overclock was causing a utilization error (had same utilization after reverting back to stock settings).

Question: Is this normal?

PS: I don't have any 3D or moving desktop backgrounds installed

Pictures (taken at idle with nothing else open):

Task Manager

taskmanager.PNG.b744729af8cbb0c68c04e430c07bb7d9.PNG

HWMonitor

hwmonitor.PNG.0ab3f07609e2bc78044565058e38164d.PNG

AMD Performance Metrics Overlay

metricsoverlay.PNG.8bc8be193a1d6a07123b262a2da94755.PNG

4.6 gb of ram used in idle and and half gpu usage thats a wierd ass combo.

format your pc, use the new core of windows 10 compact edition, it is the official solution of microsoft to bloated systems, update bios, and install again a benchmark for reference.

if you cant lets take a look of backgroud processes, and windows update , telegraphy sucking your megahurtz.

Go to Processes tab, right click on top column and tick both GPU + GPU Engine. Sort by highest GPU usage

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

• 3 weeks later...

Im experiencing this as well. It seems to be causing power throttling during gaming and cutting my frames by at least one-third and I have to completely end every task in the Radeon package to reset it just to do it again after closing a game. So you're saying ReLive is doing this? 

• 1 month later...
On 1/1/2020 at 10:27 PM, KnowledgeByTech said:

Nevermind guys, sorry for the trouble, apparently its the ReLive instant replay video capture setting:  https://www.reddit.com/r/AMDHelp/comments/ahqm0e/radeon_settings_host_service_75_gpu_usage/

Thanks for the help everyone, sorry for confusing you with my nonsense!

na man that aint the fix. i turned off the recording thing and it's still doing it.

20 hours ago, robotsalad said:

na man that aint the fix. i turned off the recording thing and it's still doing it.

fixed it for me