Help with updating BIOS (without visual input)

Specs:

- AMD Ryzen 5 3600

- EVGA GTX 1660Ti

- Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (2x16) 3200MHz 

- ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero (WiFi AC) 

- Corsair RM650x 80+ Gold Certified 

- 500GB Kingston Nvme m.2 SSD

So I’ve just built my first ever PC using the components listed above. I read before building that I would need to install a BIOS update for the motherboard by downloading the latest BIOS from asus.com, transfer the update to a flash drive, and reformatting a USB Flash drive to FAT32 in order to push the update without seeing the BIOS. This is my issue though, I have no visual display at all, therefore I cannot see anything about the BIOS. The only information I’m given is from the on board error read out, that has a continuous “8” on it. I’ve learned that this means it needs BIOS update. 

I believe my issue is that when I download the update from asus.com, I’m only given 2 files. A BIOSrenaming tool and a CAP file. The CAP file is the one that needs to be pushed, but I cannot get it to work. Here’s a screen grab of what I get when I download the zipped file from ASUS: https://imgur.com/a/vnNR9Eg

I’ve been at this for 4hr now and I’m out of ideas as to how to fix this. For anyone wondering; my motherboard does not have any visual display ports, only an optical. I have my graphics card plugged into the motherboard as well as the power supply (fans are running). If anyone has questions that might help with an answer, please ask them!! 

I do believe you need a cpu to update the bios but I could be wrong, I think AMD has loaner CPUS for that 

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

1 minute ago, RGProductions said:

As in a cpu supported by your current bios

I checked to make sure the Ryzen 5 3600 would be compatible, I didn’t see anything that would indicate it wouldn’t be compatible anymore. Or are you referring to the laptop that I’m downloading the update from?

18 minutes ago, BuffNuggets said:

I checked to make sure the Ryzen 5 3600 would be compatible, I didn’t see anything that would indicate it wouldn’t be compatible anymore. Or are you referring to the laptop that I’m downloading the update from?

I could be wrong, but I meant that the motherboard you are updating must have a compatible (read- first gen zen) CPU installed in it to update the bios, not your 3600, which will only work once the bios is updated.

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

31 minutes ago, RGProductions said:

I could be wrong, but I meant that the motherboard you are updating must have a compatible (read- first gen zen) CPU installed in it to update the bios, not your 3600, which will only work once the bios is updated.

@BuffNuggets

On some Asus boards including the Crosshair VI Hero, one of the USB ports can be used to update the BIOS without a CPU installed. Go into the manual and check which one. Download the BIOS version you need onto a USB drive and plug it into the specified port, and press the flashback button. The USB has to be FAT32 formatted

Looks like ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero (WiFi AC)  has a feature called USB BIOS FLASHBACK so no CPU is needed.

https://rog.asus.com/technology/republic-of-gamers-motherboard-innovations/usb-bios-flashback/

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X   Motherboard: MSI X570 Gaming Edge Wifi   Case: Deepcool Maxtrexx 70   GPU: RTX 3090   RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 3x16GB 3200 MHz   PSU: Super Flower 850W