2-in-1 ultrabook ideas

I've been looking at 2-in-1 ultrabooks to replace my current laptop. Mostly with the $800 to $1,200 price range.

My main considerations have been:

• Lenovo Yoga C940 (currently my main pick)
  • Dell XPS 13 2-in-1
  • HP Spectre x360

I was wondering if there were any other models that might be worth taking a look at.

I have the envy x360 with a 2700u, which is a little below your price range, but I like it. Cooling is a little anemic and build quality is decidedly average, but coming from a thiccpad I should probably expect that.

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

2 minutes ago, RGProductions said:

I have the envy x360 with a 2700u, which is a little below your price range, but I like it. Cooling is a little anemic and build quality is decidedly average, but coming from a thiccpad I should probably expect that.

Do you use the laptop in its tablet form? If so, do you find it too heavy?

12 minutes ago, tmack2 said:

Do you use the laptop in its tablet form? If so, do you find it too heavy?

I actually use it in tablet mode relatively often, it’s certainly no iPad but i feel it is held back more by windows than by its physical form factor. I use it in tent mode or flat on a table if I’m gonna be in tablet mode, not handheld. I do use the touchscreen pretty much constantly on laptop mode though 

1 minute ago, RGProductions said:

I actually use it in tablet mode relatively often, it’s certainly no iPad but i feel it is held back more by windows than by its physical form factor. I use it in tent mode or flat on a table if I’m gonna be in tablet mode, not handheld. I do use the touchscreen pretty much constantly on laptop mode though 

Thanks for your reply. One more quick question: with my old laptop an issue I had often was the keyboard becoming too hot to touch when the CPU was pushed. Does the surface of the laptop get exceedingly warm during heavy use?

What type of work will you be doing on this machine? The reason I ask is because they have other options that are still quite capable for a bit less. 

1 minute ago, Founders said:

What type of work will you be doing on this machine? The reason I ask is because they have other options that are still quite capable for a bit less. 

Thank you for your question. It's mostly for school, so generally it won't be too intensive. However, I do occasionally need to do some more intensive processes like running a virtual machine. There's also a chance that I might need a little bit of power as I move forward with my major. I'm not entirely sure what programs I'll need to be able to use, because I've only just started studying to become a network engineer.

20 minutes ago, tmack2 said:

Thanks for your reply. One more quick question: with my old laptop an issue I had often was the keyboard becoming too hot to touch when the CPU was pushed. Does the surface of the laptop get exceedingly warm during heavy use?

It gets warm but never uncomfortable even when I held the cpu at 95 degrees for ≈an hour (handbrake kicks the 2700u’s ASS btw)

5 minutes ago, RGProductions said:

It gets warm but never uncomfortable even when I held the cpu at 95 degrees for ≈an hour (handbrake kicks the 2700u’s ASS btw)

Alright, thank you very much for your replies.

18 minutes ago, tmack2 said:

Thank you for your question. It's mostly for school, so generally it won't be too intensive. However, I do occasionally need to do some more intensive processes like running a virtual machine. There's also a chance that I might need a little bit of power as I move forward with my major. I'm not entirely sure what programs I'll need to be able to use, because I've only just started studying to become a network engineer.

Are you in the US?

2 minutes ago, Founders said:

Thank you for the suggestion, this is something I will definitely consider. As just a personal opinion, would you go for this, or the Yoga C940 (i7-1065G7, 12GB ram, 512GB storage) for its sale price of about $1,000?

7 minutes ago, tmack2 said:

Thank you for the suggestion, this is something I will definitely consider. As just a personal opinion, would you go for this, or the Yoga C940 (i7-1065G7, 12GB ram, 512GB storage) for its sale price of about $1,000?

I forgot about the sale on Lenovo's site. Given the $150 difference it's worth it to go for the Yoga C940, it's right in the middle of your budget too. ?

5 minutes ago, Founders said:

I forgot about the sale on Lenovo's site. Given the $150 difference it's worth it to go for the Yoga C940, it's right in the middle of your budget too. ?

Thank you for your input!

3 minutes ago, tmack2 said:

Thank you for your input!

No problem

Are you buying in US? Usage? Mind low sRGB display and non-upgradeable RAM? Any preferences on weight, battery life and display size?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

28 minutes ago, genexis_x said:

Are you buying in US?

Yes

29 minutes ago, genexis_x said:

Usage?

School work, but I will need to be able to run a virtual machine on it occassionally, so it can't be too underpowered. Additionally I'm not sure what software I might need in the future, so ideally I'm trying to get something a bit more powerful now rather than regretting it later.

30 minutes ago, genexis_x said:

Mind low sRGB display and non-upgradeable RAM?

Don't care about either of these. I don't do creative work, and am not picky about my displays. Also upgradeable ram isn't a priority for me, if the ram it comes with is already good enough.

31 minutes ago, genexis_x said:

Any preferences on weight

As light as possible, but I'd sacrifice some weight if it means better performance (that includes if the cooling is better).

32 minutes ago, genexis_x said:

battery life

Preferably enough to get through a day on campus (usually 6-8 hours). Not necessarily running anything hard though, just basic web browsing.

33 minutes ago, genexis_x said:

display size?

I'd be ok with a 15 inch if its really a good deal, but ideally I want a 13 or 14 inch. This is something I'll need to carry with me a lot, so a smaller size would be better.

On 1/1/2020 at 11:59 AM, tmack2 said:

snip

Thanks for your reply

Would recommend Yoga C940 15 81TE0004US, but it's $1250. Do you mind lower end hardware (ULV CPU+MX GPU)?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

1 hour ago, genexis_x said:

Thanks for your reply

Would recommend Yoga C940 15 81TE0004US, but it's $1250. Do you mind lower end hardware (ULV CPU+MX GPU)?

While I think the 15 inch specs are definitely desirable, I'll probably end up going with the 14 inch model instead. Thanks for the suggestion regardless, it's definitely an option to look at. Especially if I am able to expand my budget a bit.