GPU usage going bonkers

renchy_is_sketchy
Go to solution Solved by renchy_is_sketchy,

UPDATE FOR ANYONE RESEARCHING THIS IN THE FUTURE

The GPU usage image i added before is false and it turns out that my GPU was completely fine.

There was a setting called "Enable unified GPU usage monitoring" which had to be enabled in MSI afterburner to display the true GPU usage.

BUT, the faster and more ram did significantly improve performance.

So a couple of weeks ago i installed my new mbu , cpu and ram went in rust to check whats popping because that was the game i was really looking forward to playing but it was suttering. Back then i figured it was the RAM (8gb 2666mhz , pretty yucky , upgrading later) and went on my way playing other game which didnt stutter , like siege.

But today i decided to find the issue and its the gpu ( i think)

So this is the gpu usage while playing rust , and ill tell you this i can feel ALL of this happening. Probably shouldve cropped the images to avoid conffusion but youll understand when im in game i think.

Capture.PNG.e4c0e271be3401b1c027e6cd0dabf857.PNG

And this is the GPU usage in siege (was curious so decided to check it out in siege) P.S i get in game after the 1st major dip at around 90% and get out of game at the end , makes sense) And this was completely playable , like its supposed 2 be.

r6.PNG.4cb7f16f3bef18afc57ed49522020d5c.PNG

This didnt happen in rust before installing the new mbu , cpu and ram , so it has got me concerned.

Looks like the gpu is waiting on something in the system most likely your cpu. What is the cpu usage like?

More links in my profile! Builds: Project(Main Rig): Cosmos Sv2 -- 2nd PC: Old School AMD -- Project: HD4890 Revival,

↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓ Specs Below ↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓

Cosmos Sv2:

• CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K @ 5.1ghz
  • Motherboard: Asus PRIME Z390-A
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000
  • GPU: Asus GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB Turbo
  • Case: Modded Cosmos S (Cosmos Sv2)
  • Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME, WD Black SN750 2TB NVMe, 2x WD Red 2TB raid 1, 150GB Toshiba 2.5"
  • PSU: Corsair HX850
  • Display(s): Samsung LC32JG50QQNZA 32.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz, LG 29UM58-P 29.0" 2560x1080 75 Hz
  • Cooling: Custom Loop
  • Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum
  • Mouse: Corsair Dark Core
  • Sound: Oboard with Logitech something or other 5.1 speakers and HyperX Headset
  • PC Part Picker URL: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/NotSoEpicMods/saved/LYysZL

Old School AMD:

• CPU: AMD Phenom II x6 1090T
  • Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth 990FX rev1.0
  • RAM: 16GB Patriot Sector 5
  • GPU: XFX HD 7950
  • Case: Cougar MX330-G Glass Window
  • Storage: 2x HyperX 3K 120GB SSD 
  • PSU: Corsair 650W
  • Display(s): Samsung 32"
  • Cooling: Hyper 212+
  • Keyboard: Logitech G110
  • Mouse: Logitech M100
  • Sound: HyperX Headset

29 minutes ago, renchy_is_sketchy said:

so it has got me concerned

what are the specs of your system?

whats your cpu usage?

are you on the latest bios?

edit: also what resolution are you gaming at?

My Rig / Buildlogs:  ❄️ SNOWFLAKE ❄️ FROSTBITE ❄️

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600   Cooler: Corsair H115i Platinum   RAM: Corsair Vengence RGB Pro 16GB @3200   Mobo: Asus Prime X470 Pro

Graphics Card: Gigabyte Aorus 2080super Waterforce    Case: Corsair 500D   PSU: Corsair HX850i

Storage: 500GB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD, 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD, 2x 1TB SATA SSD

Displays: AOC CQ32G1 32" 2560x1440, Acer XB280HK 28.0" 3840x2160 60 Hz, Medion MD20850 24" 2560x1440

4 minutes ago, NotSoEpicMods said:

Looks like the gpu is waiting on something in the system most likely your cpu. What is the cpu usage like?

4 minutes ago, LauriHimself said:

whats your cpu usage?

rx 580 4gb gddr5 sapphire 

r5 3600 3.6ghz

4x2gb 2666mhz ram

b450 a pro max 

Bios up to date.

Going into rust server to check on the cpu usage , be right back with the ss.

16 minutes ago, LauriHimself said:

whats your cpu usage?

16 minutes ago, NotSoEpicMods said:

TOGETHER.PNG.76abb926dc1606f7dc79d4698a47f4ce.PNG

This was about 5 mins of rust

One thing ill mention , the frame drops happen at the significant cpu usage drops.

14 minutes ago, renchy_is_sketchy said:

rx 580 4gb gddr5 sapphire 

r5 3600 3.6ghz

4x2gb 2666mhz ram

b450 a pro max 

Bios up to date.

Going into rust server to check on the cpu usage , be right back with the ss.

There is a good chance your slower ram is affecting your performance since ryzen loves fast ram. You couls always try increasing the ram speed a little and see if that aleviates your issues at all.

More links in my profile! Builds: Project(Main Rig): Cosmos Sv2 -- 2nd PC: Old School AMD -- Project: HD4890 Revival,

Cosmos Sv2:

• Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME, WD Black SN750 2TB NVMe, 2x WD Red 2TB raid 1, 150GB Toshiba 2.5"
  • Display(s): Samsung LC32JG50QQNZA 32.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz, LG 29UM58-P 29.0" 2560x1080 75 Hz
  • Sound: Oboard with Logitech something or other 5.1 speakers and HyperX Headset
  • PC Part Picker URL: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/NotSoEpicMods/saved/LYysZL

Old School AMD:

3 minutes ago, NotSoEpicMods said:

There is a good chance your slower ram is affecting your performance since ryzen loves fast ram. You couls always try increasing the ram speed a little and see if that aleviates your issues at all.

The first time i launched rust and played around it was lagging like absolute shit , and then i decided to check at what speed my ram is running and it was at like 2133/2667 so i put it to 2667 and now i have to admit it has gotten better , although still not playable levels of better. 

But could the ram really be affecting my gpu this much? Or is it like a chain reaction , the cpu doesnt like my ram and the gpu doesnt like my cpu?

2 minutes ago, renchy_is_sketchy said:

The first time i launched rust and played around it was lagging like absolute shit , and then i decided to check at what speed my ram is running and it was at like 2133/2667 so i put it to 2667 and now i have to admit it has gotten better , although still not playable levels of better. 

But could the ram really be affecting my gpu this much? Or is it like a chain reaction , the cpu doesnt like my ram and the gpu doesnt like my cpu because of the ram?

It can but it also depends on the program and yes it can be a bit of a chain reaction type thing. I'm not to familiar with rust. I'm also not too familiar with the Ryzen overclocking but you may also want to try overclocking a core or two if you can, or all cores if you can't just be mindful of cooling. Just because overall cpu usage is low doesn't mean the cpu still isn't the bottle neck. The issues could also be software side as well.

Cosmos Sv2:

Old School AMD:

1 minute ago, NotSoEpicMods said:

It can but it also depends on the program and yes it can be a bit of a chain reaction type thing. I'm not to familiar with rust. I'm also not too familiar with the Ryzen overclocking but you may also want to try overclocking a core or two if you can, or all cores if you can't just be mindful of cooling. Just because overall cpu usage is low doesn't mean the cpu still isn't the bottle neck. The issues could also be software side as well.

The cpu was running at 4.2ghz 1.3v out of the box , and the cooler was going crazy so i disabled precision boost and precision boost overdrive which fixed the issue, those automatically boost all of your cores to 4.2ghz , ill have it off until i get a new cooler.

Well im glad that we found out that the ram is the issue , although i knew ryzen enjoys fast ram i still cheaped out on it. My bad i guess.

Thank you.

Just now, renchy_is_sketchy said:

The cpu was running at 4.2ghz 1.3v out of the box , and the cooler was going crazy so i disabled precision boost and precision boost overdrive which fixed the issue, those automatically boost all of your cores to 4.2ghz , ill have it off until i get a new cooler.

Well im glad that we found out that the ram is the issue , although i knew ryzen enjoys fast ram i still cheaped out on it. My bad i guess.

Thank you.

Yea typically the sweet spot for price/performance is 3200mhz and if you can try and get 2 sticks of 4gb minimum. This will allow you to upgrade to 16gb more easily in the future if you can't afford that now because gaming rigs need more and more ram as time goes by. Also since you already have the slower ram you could always try and see how far you can overclock it. You never really know how far you can get it.

Cosmos Sv2:

Old School AMD:

2x4

Might be running out of memory and switching to page file

Which would result in bad stutters.

You probably need more. Faster while you're at it.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

On 12/30/2019 at 8:11 PM, NotSoEpicMods said:

Yea typically the sweet spot for price/performance is 3200mhz and if you can try and get 2 sticks of 4gb minimum. This will allow you to upgrade to 16gb more easily in the future if you can't afford that now because gaming rigs need more and more ram as time goes by. Also since you already have the slower ram you could always try and see how far you can overclock it. You never really know how far you can get it.

On 12/30/2019 at 8:15 PM, Mister Woof said:

2x4

Might be running out of memory and switching to page file

Which would result in bad stutters.

You probably need more. Faster while you're at it.

Yeah , sorry for the 1 year late response.

I found the same corsair vengeance ram but its 2x8 3200mhz , but i dont know if that will consume more psu power , because its either upgrading the psu or the ram , since ive been having some problems with both , but ram would improve performance a lot i bet so idk.

Thanks

28 minutes ago, renchy_is_sketchy said:

but i dont know if that will consume more psu power

If it run at higher voltage then it will consume more but it's insignificant. few watts at best. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

7 minutes ago, xAcid9 said:

If it run at higher voltage then it will consume more but it's insignificant. few watts at best. 

Is there a way i could check if it has a higher voltage?

Thanks

Edit : just found the voltage difference is 0.15V , so i dont think its going to blackout my house 

Thank you for the response

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATE FOR ANYONE RESEARCHING THIS IN THE FUTURE

The GPU usage image i added before is false and it turns out that my GPU was completely fine.

There was a setting called "Enable unified GPU usage monitoring" which had to be enabled in MSI afterburner to display the true GPU usage.

BUT, the faster and more ram did significantly improve performance.