Ryzen 3900X idle temps - help required

Go to solution Solved by Deltazocker,

After I re-mounted my NZXT Kraken it now only goes up to 80ish degrees when stressing the cpu. Problem solved!

I got my 3900X for Christmas and immediately installed it. I'm cooling it with an NZXT Kraken x62. In my opinion it should be easily possible to cool this processor with that cooler. My problem is that when stressing (CPU-Z stresstest) it almost immediately hits 95° and begins to throttle. Is this normal? It also idles pretty high. NZXT CAM reports temperatures of 45 - 55 °C idle. Ryzen Master is about 10°C cooler all the time. Why? I'm a bit stumped about it.

Any help is appreciated!

Note: Yes, the cooler is seated correctly. No, I didn't change from the pre-applied thermal paste. My Board is an AsRock X570 Steel Legend.

high-idle-temps.png

high-stress.png

Ryzen Master is correct, the NZXT software is wrong and should be ignored. The reason is the way AMD measures temperature, its been a thing since Ryzen launched.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Just now, Master Disaster said:

Ryzen Master is correct, the NZXT software is wrong and should be ignored. The reason is the way AMD measures temperature, its been a thing since Ryzen launched.

Ok. I still wonder why Ryzen Master temps rise to 95° when stresstesting...

Thank you!

I would Highly Reccomend you Turn up the fan speeds on your kraken Cooler, it is not happy with your  CPU. My 3800x Overclocked is not even hitting 95c, you do have more cores but it should be binned to run at lower voltages. Id reccomend you go into bios and turn that fan curve up if its not already at 100% at around 80C

24 minutes ago, Deltazocker said:

Ok. I still wonder why Ryzen Master temps rise to 95° when stresstesting...

Thank you!

2 very important things you NEED to do with Zen 2...

1) Update the boards BIOS to the latest version

2) Download and install the latest Chipset driver directly from AMD (Link below)

https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/x570

These 2 fixes apply firmware level fixes (through AGESA) and add a new software power profile to Windows. Zen 2 is a very different architecture to anything else that exists and Windows needs to be told how to use it properly.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

19 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

2 very important things you NEED to do with Zen 2...

1) Update the boards BIOS to the latest version

2) Download and install the latest Chipset driver directly from AMD (Link below)

https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/x570

These 2 fixes apply firmware level fixes (through AGESA) and add a new software power profile to Windows. Zen 2 is a very different architecture to anything else that exists and Windows needs to be told how to use it properly.

This helped a bit. It now takes around 10 seconds to hit 95° when stressing with cinebench r20.... as opposed to one second ?

After I re-mounted my NZXT Kraken it now only goes up to 80ish degrees when stressing the cpu. Problem solved!