Acer Swift 3 experiencing frequent and dramatic frame drops

Go to solution Solved by genexis_x,

Probably thermal throttling. Consider doing repaste. Or try to lift the rear of the laptop with something like a book

You've undervolted wrongly. CPU cache needs to be undervolted too

Also change long power max and short power max to 15. Use default turbo ratio limits

Consider undervolting GPU too

My acer swift 3 sf314-54g-52lb with a core i5 8250u and a mx150 starts dropping frames every 5 seconds from 60 to 20 and in other games 120 - 20. I have been using throttlestop to prevent thermal throttling. this idn't happen before i used throttlestop. here are a few pictures of my throttlestop setup under load. is there anything that i did wrong in the settings?

tt1.PNG

tt2.PNG

tt3.PNG

Probably thermal throttling. Consider doing repaste. Or try to lift the rear of the laptop with something like a book

You've undervolted wrongly. CPU cache needs to be undervolted too

Also change long power max and short power max to 15. Use default turbo ratio limits

Consider undervolting GPU too

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

thanks, really helped more than i thought. its not throttling or droping frames. i was able to increase the settings. 

3 hours ago, Kjaxs said:

really helped more than i thought

what you've done?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

When using ThrottleStop you need to under volt both the CPU core and CPU cache equally or else your under volt will be ignored.  Your screenshot above shows +0.0000 for the CPU Cache Offset.  That means your under volt is not being used.

There is a check mark in the PROCHOT 98°C box.  That indicates that your CPU has been thermal throttling.  This can cause sudden drops in performance.  Your Turbo Ratio Limits are set to 18 which cuts your CPU performance in half.  Is this really necessary?  If your cooling is really that bad then you should try to do something to fix this problem.  The heatsink and fan that Acer is using must not be installed correctly or else it is garbage.

Set the Turbo Time Limit back to the default value which is usually 28 seconds.

The Turbo Boost Short Power Max box needs to be checked or this setting will not be sent to the CPU.

8 hours ago, genexis_x said:

what you've done?

I undervolted the CPU cache and changed the short and long power max to 15.

With that, i have started to get a different problem. my frames in game may not be dropping, but i can see a very choppy 40-50 frames or so (personal judgment) while the game is showing a total of 70-80 frames. I am using a secondary 1080p monitor connected on the HDMI port without Free-sync enabled and the laptop screen turned off

2 hours ago, Kjaxs said:

long power max to 15

change short power max to 15 also

2 hours ago, Kjaxs said:

but i can see a very choppy 40-50 frames or so

have you reset turbo ratio limits?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

1 hour ago, genexis_x said:

change short power max to 15 also

have you reset turbo ratio limits?

yes