Dell XPS 15 9550 Upgrade options?

It's been a while since I've come back to the forums, but I recently picked up a used Dell XPS 15 9550 parts laptop for DIRT cheap. By dirt cheap i mean $35 cheap. However, It's currently missing a Hard Drive/SSD, RAM, Battery, Power Adapter, and screws for the back cover. I just borrowed my friend's AC adapter and got the laptop to post and boot. It seems that everything is working fine on the laptop, so now I'm at a dilemma as to how to restore/rebuild it. The laptop currently has the i7 6700HQ CPU, GTX 960m graphics, and the 1080p matte display. I plan on using this computer strictly for school and professional work. Gaming would be little to basically none. 

My workload would consist of using Adobe Premier Pro, Photoshop, and Lightroom. I will also be using VMware to run a macOS and Linux virtual machine, along with the basic tasks such as MS Office, web browsing, etc. 

So here's my question. What would be the best upgrade course that I can do to my "new" laptop given the workload?

1. Would I be better off with 16GB of ram or 32GB? 

2. Should I opt to get an NVMe M.2 SSD, or would I be fine with a SATA M.2 SSD? How big should the SSD be?

3. Would the 97 WHr batteries from the newer XPS 15s work in the 9550? Or would I be better off using the 84 WHr 3rd party replacement batteries you find on eBay or Amazon?

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein