harddrive migration

So I've never had to do this before and wanna check with someone before i do. I need to move all the data on an SSD drive to the a new NVME drive, is there a decent free program i can use to accomplice this, does windows have a built in tool? To people that have done this before, whats the best way to go about it?  

Edit: IDK if this matter but the drives in question are Samsung, both, an 850 evo going to a 970 evo plus.

Edit 2: it's a boot drive.

Edited by AntiHero

16 minutes ago, AntiHero said:

So I've never had to do this before and wanna check with someone before i do. I need to move all the data on an SSD drive to the a new NVME drive, is there a decent free program i can use to accomplice this, does windows have a built in tool? To people that have done this before, whats the best way to go about it?  

Edit: IDK if this matter but the drives in question are Samsung, both, an 850 evo going to a 970 evo plus

Assuming this is not a boot drive (it doesnt have windows on it) it's pretty easy. I moved my data from a 1TB HDD to a 2TB HDD and used Macrium Reflect (its free). It was super easy. I don't think windows has any kind of built in tool for this. I basically just used macrium to copy all of the data onto the new drive, and made sure to give the new drive the same name/drive letter as the old drive since I wouldn't be using the old drive anymore. That was basically all I had to do.

15 minutes ago, TheBahrbarian said:

Assuming this is not a boot drive (it doesnt have windows on it) it's pretty easy. I moved my data from a 1TB HDD to a 2TB HDD and used Macrium Reflect (its free). It was super easy. I don't think windows has any kind of built in tool for this. I basically just used macrium to copy all of the data onto the new drive, and made sure to give the new drive the same name/drive letter as the old drive since I wouldn't be using the old drive anymore. That was basically all I had to do.

I probably should have clarified then, my bad, but it is a boot Drive which I'm now assuming makes a difference...

1 hour ago, AntiHero said:

I probably should have clarified then, my bad, but it is a boot Drive which I'm now assuming makes a difference...

Yeah it makes a difference because moving windows isn't quite as easy. I personally have never done it, I know there can be some complications when it comes to moving windows keys across new hardware. I am fairly sure you should still be able to use that free software (Macrium reflect) to copy everything over, I just don't know exactly how moving windows works. I am sure if you google "moving windows to new drive" or something along those lines you will find some decent guides that will tell you better than I can how to move everything over.

Edit: A quick google search seems to show that there area couple migration tools you can use to make this process fairly painless. One i found was called "EaseUS Todo Backup Free" or something like that. I can't recommend a specific one to use, just take a look around and I am sure you will find a decent one as well as a step by step guide, shouldn't be too hard.