Weird problem???

Mark Kaine
Go to solution Solved by Mark Kaine,
On 12/26/2019 at 6:08 AM, NotSoEpicMods said:

suspect it's something else causing you pc to be louder

Update :  well... You weren't wrong! 

I found out what was causing it... 

Cleaned my PC, wasn't really dirty tho so didn't help much. 

Then I did notice some suspicious activity in task manager tho.

So then I checked SU10 and?  Windows turned "automatic updates (2)" 

"updates for Microsoft products" and 

"TELEMETRY"   on. 

Turned this stuff off,  restarted PC and it's silent again... 

No wonder it was hot and loud (I know 1-2 C doesn't sound much but it *was*  noticeably annoying to me) since it constantly had to phone to Redmond obviously... 

Temps in games went down too,  5C for the CPU,  2-3C for the GPU. 

Lesson learned:  don't forget to check your SU10 settings occasionally, kids! ? 

^bad news is Windows keeps overwriting the 2 update settings , it didn't turn back on TELEMETRY yet

I'll probably have to update the app since it doesn't seem to work reliable anymore sadly.  

I am terribly sorry for the following lengthy description, but I just don't know how to make this shorter,  it's so strange to me why this is happening. 

Alright, so I noticed my fans being slightly louder than usual, turns out my GPU is in use constantly between 1-5% while "idling"?

I checked background processes, I didn't see anything unusual - there was a "google installer" running for a few minutes, I haven't seen that before but it stopped and GPU is still constantly in use... 

Now, I had something like this before when Steam was causing this and a restart always fixed it,  however I don't think it's Steam, as it happened even when Steam wasn't running after a restart. 

Well, you probably think ~1%-5% what's the problem...?  But to me this is a problem because it simply is very unusual and the PC is just suddenly louder than before (it's only about 200rpm on the case fans though) and the GPU is at 40C when it usually always is at 39C while idling. But obviously it isn't idling... Very strange.  I kinda doubt it's malware because why would that only use 1-5% but still it's really odd and a bit concerning. 

What could be causing this...? I don't get it,  something must be using the GPU,  it's mostly "3D" but I have nothing running except Steam and well, usually for the last 1-2 years since I have this GPU, it's always been at 0% while idling (99% of the time) so something must be up... 

There is no network activity,  RAM usage is as always while idling (12%) disk usage is 0%, but the CPU seems also a bit hotter than usual (1-2C more at 0-1% usage) 

This isn't a temp issue though imo,  this is really more why is my GPU being used constantly and by what?? 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

I suspect it's something else causing you pc to be louder like fans remember you system is 2yrs old now. Your GPU still has to render the desktop and anything else visible on the screen. My 2080Ti idles at 6-9% "idle" meaning with any window programs running like chrome/file explorer. 1-2C temp difference I wouldn't even really be concerened about. One thing since it looks like you're on win 10 is open task manager and on the processes tab right click the area where CPU % is shown then select GPU from the drop down. This will bring up GPU usage column then sort by usage in that column so see what programs are using it the most.

More links in my profile! Builds: Project(Main Rig): Cosmos Sv2 -- 2nd PC: Old School AMD -- Project: HD4890 Revival,

↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓ Specs Below ↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓

Cosmos Sv2:

• CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K @ 5.1ghz
  • Motherboard: Asus PRIME Z390-A
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000
  • GPU: Asus GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB Turbo
  • Case: Modded Cosmos S (Cosmos Sv2)
  • Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME, WD Black SN750 2TB NVMe, 2x WD Red 2TB raid 1, 150GB Toshiba 2.5"
  • PSU: Corsair HX850
  • Display(s): Samsung LC32JG50QQNZA 32.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz, LG 29UM58-P 29.0" 2560x1080 75 Hz
  • Cooling: Custom Loop
  • Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum
  • Mouse: Corsair Dark Core
  • Sound: Oboard with Logitech something or other 5.1 speakers and HyperX Headset
  • PC Part Picker URL: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/NotSoEpicMods/saved/LYysZL

Old School AMD:

• CPU: AMD Phenom II x6 1090T
  • Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth 990FX rev1.0
  • RAM: 16GB Patriot Sector 5
  • GPU: XFX HD 7950
  • Case: Cougar MX330-G Glass Window
  • Storage: 2x HyperX 3K 120GB SSD 
  • PSU: Corsair 650W
  • Display(s): Samsung 32"
  • Cooling: Hyper 212+
  • Keyboard: Logitech G110
  • Mouse: Logitech M100
  • Sound: HyperX Headset

5 hours ago, NotSoEpicMods said:

I suspect it's something else causing you pc to be louder like fans remember you system is 2yrs old now. Your GPU still has to render the desktop and anything else visible on the screen. My 2080Ti idles at 6-9% "idle" meaning with any window programs running like chrome/file explorer. 1-2C temp difference I wouldn't even really be concerened about. One thing since it looks like you're on win 10 is open task manager and on the processes tab right click the area where CPU % is shown then select GPU from the drop down. This will bring up GPU usage column then sort by usage in that column so see what programs are using it the most.

That's a good explanation maybe - but what I don't get is why it says "3D" it never did that when only steam was running - it's just an odd,  sudden change. 

The really weird thing is the CPU fan also acts differently, more erratic, even though I don't really see a change in CPU activity.  ?

Maybe the fan curve changed or something, I'll need to check.

And thanks for the tip, so it's "Desktop Window Manager" and "Client Server Runtime" using up 1% - 5%  GPU all the time.  That still seems pretty weird to me?  That also means I'll have 5% less GPU time for playing games. 

Definitely didn't do that until yesterday...guess now I'll have to find out *why* these windows processes use the GPU constantly lol :/

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

More and more programs start using the GPU nowadays. Browsers, launchers, even Skype uses the GPU to render its window now...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Well I checked, none of the fan curves changed,  it's just the PC is running slightly hotter than usual... Also noticed this yesterday the case was slightly warm... It never is usually, even after playing games for hours. Odd.  >.<

31 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

More and more programs start using the GPU nowadays. Browsers, launchers, even Skype uses the GPU to render its window now...

It's only Steam running and that didn't even get an update. I also checked without Steam running - no difference at all 

It's seemingly those windows processes using up GPU more than usual,  it's just odd. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 12/26/2019 at 6:08 AM, NotSoEpicMods said:

suspect it's something else causing you pc to be louder

Update :  well... You weren't wrong! 

I found out what was causing it... 

Cleaned my PC, wasn't really dirty tho so didn't help much. 

Then I did notice some suspicious activity in task manager tho.

So then I checked SU10 and?  Windows turned "automatic updates (2)" 

"updates for Microsoft products" and 

"TELEMETRY"   on. 

Turned this stuff off,  restarted PC and it's silent again... 

No wonder it was hot and loud (I know 1-2 C doesn't sound much but it *was*  noticeably annoying to me) since it constantly had to phone to Redmond obviously... 

Temps in games went down too,  5C for the CPU,  2-3C for the GPU. 

Lesson learned:  don't forget to check your SU10 settings occasionally, kids! ? 

^bad news is Windows keeps overwriting the 2 update settings , it didn't turn back on TELEMETRY yet

I'll probably have to update the app since it doesn't seem to work reliable anymore sadly.  

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity