Range extender reduces speed. HELP.

Mahbub

I have Asus AC 58 router. My speeds are 70mbps download 50mbps up. I made my old dlink router as a range extender on top floor. But when i connect to that one, the speed falls to 15mbps average download and 13 mbps average upload INSPITE of the fact that both routers are connected by cable (hence not wireless range extender). Is this speed drop normal even on wired range extender or i am doing something wrong?

Ugh got fooled by topic title, you should change it....

Okay, lets start with some basics. Are you getting full speed if you plug in your laptop in place of the second router?  If yes then how did you setup the second router? Did you just plug in into the WAN port?

How have you configured the dlink router? If you configured it as extender it's not going to use the cable, it's going to connect wirelessly to the bottom router. You'd need to configure it as AP and make a separate network for the upper floor.

And then you're always gonna have your devices connect to the weak top network when you're at the bottom and vice versa instead of taking the right one because Murphy's law...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

24 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Ugh got fooled by topic title, you should change it....

Okay, lets start with some basics. Are you getting full speed if you plug in your laptop in place of the second router?  If yes then how did you setup the second router? Did you just plug in into the WAN port?

i set it up as a range extender.. and then took the router to the top and connected the cable to the wan port(the other end to the main router wan) now when i am connecting my laptop wirelessly to the top floor router even wgen i am standing near it, its giving me like 10 mbps.. but when i am connecting my laptop by cable( connected to one pf the lan ports of range extender router) the speed is 40mbps

11 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

How have you configured the dlink router? If you configured it as extender it's not going to use the cable, it's going to connect wirelessly to the bottom router. You'd need to configure it as AP and make a separate network for the upper floor.

And then you're always gonna have your devices connect to the weak top network when you're at the bottom and vice versa instead of taking the right one because Murphy's law...

no i tested standing next to top floor router.. i set up as range extender then connected a wire from lan port of main router to wan port of range extender router, now when i am connecting my laptop wirelessly to the top floor router even wgen i am standing near it, its giving me like 10 mbps.. but when i am connecting my laptop by cable( connected to one pf the lan ports of range extender router) the speed is 40mbps

9 minutes ago, Mahbub said:

i set up as range extender then connected a wire from lan port of main router to wan port of range extender router

Yeah, that won't work to use the cable to extend the wifi.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

5 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Yeah, that won't work to use the cable to extend the wifi.

so how do i do this same thing using cable, i mean how can i make the internet pass thru the cable, so i wont loose speed.. please help..

As I said, set the top router to AP mode and make a new network to use when on the top floor. You'll want to use a LAN port to connect the cable, not WAN.

F@H

GPD Win 2

14 hours ago, Kilrah said:

As I said, set the top router to AP mode and make a new network to use when on the top floor. You'll want to use a LAN port to connect the cable, not WAN.

BIG thank u..i did that now getting full 70mbps up n 50mbps down