Silent RTX 2060 Super

kingmouf

Hi everyone!

I am interested in buying an RTX 2060 Super card that will not be used for games but different design/photo programs as well as CUDA programming. I want a silent solution. This is top priority. Which cards can you suggest?

Thank you in advance!

I have a ROG Strix 2080 Super and even under load my fans don’t go over 50%. When I manually crank them to 100% they’re pretty loud, but at 50% they’re virtually silent. When my rig is at idle I’m more likely to hear my AIO pump than my gpu fans

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

5 minutes ago, kingmouf said:

Hi everyone!

I am interested in buying an RTX 2060 Super card that will not be used for games but different design/photo programs as well as CUDA programming. I want a silent solution. This is top priority. Which cards can you suggest?

Thank you in advance!

Quite few cards using 0 rpm mode when not under the load. They are a bit more expensive than normal cards but if you want dead silent rig they will be perfect. 

Asus GeForce RTX 2060 Dual 6GB OC.

MSI GeForce RTX 2060 Gaming Z 6G

Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060 Gaming OC Pro 6GB

@Whiro tag or quote will do the trick 
i5 3570K @ 4.7Ghz  |  AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Performance  |  Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  |  ASUS Strix GTX 970 OC  |  Phanteks P400S TG  (mesh panel) |  EVGA 500W1  |  Storage: Corsair 60GB SSD (boot), Gigabyte 120GB SSD, WD 2Tb HDD | Cooling: Custom loop

EKWB EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM

EKWB EK Supremacy Evo , naked die

EKWB EK Thermosphere 

EKWB EK CoolStream PE 360

EKWB EK Coolstream SE 120

EKWB EK Vardar 120s  x6

EKWB EK STC Classic 10/16  x10

EKWB EK DuraClear Tubing 16/10

EKWB EK CryoFuel Acid Green

Laptop: Gigabyte G5-KC | i5 10500H | RTX 3060

WHIRO

THE FIRST OF DEATH AND DARKNESS

He feast on the dead to inherit their power

RTX2060 isn't very hot GPU to start with, even smth like single dual-slot MSI Ventus would be rather quiet.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

In that GPU with dual fans, (at least the "good" brands) the fans start to spin after 50c

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

Thank you all for your answers!!

I can find the Gigabyte RTX2060 Super Windforce OC v2 and the MSI RTX2060 Super Gaming X at about the same price. Is there a reason to go with one or the other?

Part 1 of 3

I have a dead silent 2060 Super

I'd suggest, to buy this one: Asus RTX 2060 SUPER DUAL O8G EVO

You need to modify the card a little. In the attached picture, you'll see the metal back shroud of my card

1. unscrew the screws that are displayed in this picture (these are the screws that hold the back plate and the plastic fan shroud together.1551504327_2019-12-0518_40_29.thumb.jpg.6eabc945030acad9f897746975174fae.jpg

2. Disconnect the RGB cable of the plastic fan shroud from the card itself

3. Check, that your card looks like this one (without the back plate and the fan shroud): next comment

Part 2 of 3

47373771_2019-12-0518_43_23.thumb.jpg.c8b84038b60b3cb45c81ca5b098fd4ae.jpg

4. After removing the plastic shroud, you'll need to (re)install the graphics card in your system.

Edited by shimy
There are bugs in GPU Tweak - that's why I rewrited these posts for MSI Afterburner

Part 3 of 3

use MSI Afterburner

Set a fan curve on MSI Afterburner: 0% fans until 70 °C and after 70°C to 10 % 

Unsync GPU Power from Thermal limit and set the thermal limit to 88 ° Celsius

You will need to save this profil to "1"

On the left side, click on the "Windows icon". Go to settings (not the fan settings, the global settings - another "settings icon") and click: start with windows (or similar text)

Be aware: If you start MSI Afterburner and close it, MSI Afterburner will not be handling your GPU fans until you restart your Computer. So just don't start MSI Afterburner unless you need to change any settings.

During gaming or heavy load, your gpu will get hot - about 88 ° Celsius - but it will stay at 10 % fan speed, which is dead silent.

Edited by shimy
There are bugs in GPU Tweak - that's why I rewrited these posts for MSI Afterburner

Additional words

To be honest, this is the only way to get a silent GPU: 1. Remove heat jamming accessories of the GPU & 2. set fans to under 20 %. The card gets hot, but your ears will thank you.

I don't know, if the Gigabyte and MSI cards, you mentioned, can be optimized like this Asus card can. There are certain restrictions, like the fans, that have to be screwed to the aluminum cooler and not to the plastic fan shroud (in order to remove the shroud without removing the fans)

Warranty wise should be allright, I think. There is a sticker on one of the inner 4 screws that are attached right to the aluminum cooler of the Asus card. But you don't need to remove the aluminum cooler from the card in order to get this to work

I know, it's a little discomfortable to do this process, but this maximizes your comfort while not have to modify your card with enormous coolers like "Rajintek Morpheus" "Arctic Extreme IV" or similar ones. I broke my GTX 970 by replacing the cooler with the arctic extreme IV. I had a phone call with Arctic and they just said, it was my fault... 

You may think: Why do brands like Asus or MSI put plastic fan shrouds on their cards? 

Answer's pretty simple: The plastic shroud is the design element that will be the key visual point of sale. Without the fan shroud, they look all pretty nasty.

May someone want to test this optimization on a higher end card (higher TDP) like a 2070 Super, or 2080? Would be curious to find out, what amount of fan % is needed to cool this cards without thermal trotteling (but still dead silent)

kind regards

Edited by shimy

On 12/27/2019 at 11:12 AM, kingmouf said:

Thank you all for your answers!!

I can find the Gigabyte RTX2060 Super Windforce OC v2 and the MSI RTX2060 Super Gaming X at about the same price. Is there a reason to go with one or the other?

I bought the same Gigabyte one a couple days ago and I'm waiting for it to arrive. From what I've read, it's far from silent and runs kinda hot, so I'd recommend you to avoid it. No idea about the MSI one, sorry.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

@shimy wow thanx for all the info! To be honest this goes a far longer way than I would like to get involved, but at least the info is there if I end up with a setup that sounds more than I can bear. I am just wondering, isn't this setup you describe causing your card to throttle a lot?

@igormp thanx for the tip! When you get the card and test it, please share your experience!

Asus RTX 2060 Super Dual O8G EVO seems quiet and cool enough from experience to not bother taking it apart. Just change the fan settings from GPU Tweak.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X   Motherboard: MSI X570 Gaming Edge Wifi   Case: Deepcool Maxtrexx 70   GPU: RTX 3090   RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 3x16GB 3200 MHz   PSU: Super Flower 850W

2 hours ago, alyen said:

Asus RTX 2060 Super Dual O8G EVO seems quiet and cool enough from experience to not bother taking it apart. Just change the fan settings from GPU Tweak.

setting a custom fan curve in GPU Tweak will sometimes be ignored if the curve is to low. A constant fan speed will be executed. But 50 % fan speed in idle is not very nice. 10 % won't cool the card in games sufficient - unless removing the plastic shroud. It really makes a difference.

On 1/3/2020 at 7:47 PM, kingmouf said:

@shimy wow thanx for all the info! To be honest this goes a far longer way than I would like to get involved, but at least the info is there if I end up with a setup that sounds more than I can bear. I am just wondering, isn't this setup you describe causing your card to throttle a lot?

@igormp thanx for the tip! When you get the card and test it, please share your experience!

Actually, the base clock of a 2060 Super is 1470 mhz. My card never goes under 1500 mhz. Normally between 1600 and 1750 mhz. 

BTW: Tested this cooling config in 3DMark with a 10 hour loop - without crashing

With the stock cooling it would clock a little higher, like 1700 to 1850 mhz.

While fps is nice, silence is nicer...

Edited by shimy
stability test added

On 1/3/2020 at 3:47 PM, kingmouf said:

I got it today. As people told me before, it runs really hot, around 70~80º, but it's actually pretty quiet. Even with the fans at 90% I could barely hear it.

On 1/3/2020 at 10:36 PM, shimy said:

Actually, the base clock of a 2060 Super is 1470 mhz. My card never goes under 1500 mhz. Normally between 1600 and 1750 mhz. 

BTW: Tested this cooling config in 3DMark with a 10 hour loop - without crashing

With the stock cooling it would clock a little higher, like 1700 to 1850 mhz.

While fps is nice, silence is nicer...

Mine does 1800~1950MHz, isn't yours too low?

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
Lenovo N23 Yoga

1 hour ago, igormp said:

I got it today. As people told me before, it runs really hot, around 70~80º, but it's actually pretty quiet. Even with the fans at 90% I could barely hear it.

Mine does 1800~1950MHz, isn't yours too low?

Depends on temperature, the first few minutes, card clocks up to 1950 to 2000 mhz. 

You can't have a dead silent, overclocked and reasonable priced card (temperature's already really high at 88°C)

8 hours ago, shimy said:

Depends on temperature, the first few minutes, card clocks up to 1950 to 2000 mhz. 

You can't have a dead silent, overclocked and reasonable priced card (temperature's already really high at 88°C)

Yeah, my bad. After stress testing mine, I also noticed that the temps reached 86° (even with the fans at 100%), when it started throttle down to 1650~1700MHz.

Well, even at 100% it was still silent, which is good IMO. I guess that's the price for the cheapest 2060S I could find lol

Lenovo N23 Yoga