Surface Pro or Go!?

Badger906

im so out of the loop with laptop tech that im seeking help for once!! My 'everyday' laptop that i rarely use (i use my note 10 for most tings these days) is a 2016 Dell XPS 13. I never bought it for its spec, i just needed a thin and light in my head...

now im looking at getting a surface. i like the idea of a tablet, but i like windows! having given my mum my xps 13 im now shopping for a new model! my use case will be youtube, netflix and general browsing. so my question really is, how much of a compromise is the pentium gold?? am i going to be constantly frustrated with slowness? cost isn't an issue, but again i don't really see the point in me doing what i did before and spend £1000 on a laptop thats just a glorified browser! 

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

How about neither, instead get a business laptop that can last and has proven quality

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

25 minutes ago, genexis_x said:

How about neither, instead get a business laptop that can last and has proven quality

But I literally stated above I have an xps13 that I don't use because it's a laptop. And you can't get much more business than a top end Dell..  

And again spending £1200 on a laptop for video and web browsing isn't my goal this time around.. 

I want a surface because it's a tablet. But I also want it to run windows. Soo I'm limited to surface and surface alone.. 

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

1 hour ago, Badger906 said:

im so out of the loop with laptop tech that im seeking help for once!! My 'everyday' laptop that i rarely use (i use my note 10 for most tings these days) is a 2016 Dell XPS 13. I never bought it for its spec, i just needed a thin and light in my head...

now im looking at getting a surface. i like the idea of a tablet, but i like windows! having given my mum my xps 13 im now shopping for a new model! my use case will be youtube, netflix and general browsing. so my question really is, how much of a compromise is the pentium gold?? am i going to be constantly frustrated with slowness? cost isn't an issue, but again i don't really see the point in me doing what i did before and spend £1000 on a laptop thats just a glorified browser! 

If you're only going to be hitting Netflix, YouTube and the web, why would you need Windows?  You're just adding a lot of complexity and compromises.  Get an iPad Air or Galaxy Tab S6 and it'll be faster than the Surface Go for comparable money, last longer on battery, and carry an interface that's actually designed for touch.  Getting a Surface purely for tablet functionality strikes me as a bad idea since the lineup (and Windows in general) is really, really meant to be used with a hardware keyboard.

1 hour ago, Badger906 said:

Hey, as a surface user myself I'd recommend the "top" spec surface Go, as it will do you just fine in what you require, however if you intend to push it further I'd say surface pro.

Me myself I have been using a surface 3 since 2015, which I bought for that exact purpose and it has served me well in that aspect, but now that I require more horsepower I'm looking into something more beefy.