9900K vs 3900x for Lightroom

draculr

I'm looking to build a new PC as an upgrade from my 4.8ghz OC'd 8600K PC (which is going to a family member).

I hope to gain a noticeable improvement especially in lightroom for both active and background tasks and even after looking at the puget systems scores I'm not sure which way to go with the CPU.

I have always gone with Intel but even if I go with a 9900K it seems I just get 2 cores on top of my 8600K and not much else (especially since mine is OC'd). With the 3900x at least I double my core count. But puget gives a slight edge to active tasks to the 9900K and that's without any OC:

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Lightroom-Classic-CPU-Roundup-AMD-Ryzen-3rd-Gen-AMD-Threadripper-2-Intel-9th-Gen-Intel-X-series-1592/

I'm also not familiar with AMD systems and not sure if there's any chipset/bios stability issues or any other concerns I should be aware of. The intel platforms have been pretty much bulletproof for me for the last decade at least.

It may be overkill but anything I can do to squeeze more performance out of lightroom would be great as I edit thousands of photos every week.

3900X.

According to PassMark the 3900x has better single core and (obviously) better multicore performance.

To my knowledge there aren't any major bios issues (correct me if i'm wrong) and the CPU should infact be more secure than the 9900K.

According to the comparison you linked, the 3900X scored top in 2/3 of the benchmarks, only beat once by 0.06% from an AMD CPU.