RX 580 8gb or GTX 1060 6gb

Pandx

I built my first PC this fall and spent most of my budget on a mobo, processor (ryzen 5 2600) and an m.2 ssd boot drive. I ended up skimping on the GPU because I was short on funds and bought a used gt 460 or something of that sort with 1gb of memory, the thing is total garbage. But now I'm looking into upgrading and I've found someone selling a handful of cards from a mining rig, from his collection are a few RX 580 8gb and 1060 6gb.

What card should I go with? They're both very closely matched on benchmark tests so I need a bit of help making my mind up. I'm leaning toward the 580 because a monitor with freesync is much cheaper than one with g-sync; when I decide to upgrade my monitor. Also is it bad to go with a used GPU from a mining rig?

It depends....

What's the price of one of these cards?

Regarding Freesync: Nvidia is also supporting it for as far as I read about it.

They're both listed at $200 CAD but obviously I can talk him down

5 minutes ago, Pandx said:

They're both listed at $200 CAD but obviously I can talk him down

That seems expensive when you could just get a new one for $210-230. I'm super stingy with buying used hardware, but I wouldn't pay more than like 60% of what new hardware costs because it's a lot easier to buy from Newegg than a guy named Ed.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT | ASUS ROG Strix X470-F | 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB @3400MHz | EVGA RTX 2080S XC Ultra | EVGA GQ 650 | HP EX920 1TB / Crucial MX500 500GB / Samsung Spinpoint 1TB | Cooler Master H500M

If its used you should be able to find a 1070 for nearly that price, which will cream both those cards.  Don't get either of them for that price

If you had to buy either of those two, i'd go with RX580 if you don't stream often, 1060 if you do and want to use NVENC