WiFi 6: Performance Analysis

Hey all,

I recently (Aug '19) published my thesis(attached to this post) on 802.11ax (Wifi 6). The idea was inspired by the first WiFi 6 video I watched (Feb 18) on Techquickie. So i decided to study the new standard thoroughly and see how the early hardware performed, for my masters thesis. In the research I explain the changes WiFi 6 brings to the table (OFDMA & MU-MIMO -  common to 5g mobile comms. and wifi, BSS Coloring, Target Wake etc) and compare the performance of both top end AX routers available at the time.

The main ax devices used are the ASUS ROG AX11000, Netgear RAX 120 and the Samsung Galaxy S10, along with several older ac (Wifi 5) devices like the Galaxy s8, iPhone 6s etc. The AX11000 can be run in both ac and ax modes. There are several realistic Indoor and Outdoor performance comparisons. There are also some ideal max throughput tests conducted inside a Faraday cage. Overall i think you will find this an interesting read.Hope y'all find it at least a little bit useful.

I want to thank LMG for the idea. I have been subscribed to Linus back from when he had insulation tape on his screen to censor a cpu-z window. I have looked up to him like a big brother. He got me so hooked on tech, i now have a Masters in EE and am working on my PhD. So Thank you! Also let me not forget Alex, he had some neat tips to source some important documents for the research.

PS: Mods, if you think this might not be in the right section, please move it to where it needs to be.

Thanks.

Umesh

Wi-Fi 6_Performance analysis of 802.11ax - Final.pdf

PC 1: CPU: i5 12600k     GPU: RTX 4080     MOTHERBOARD: Asus B650M-A D4       RAM: 16x4 DDR4 3200       POWERSUPPLY: EVGA 650 G6  

SSD: WD Black gen 4 x2 + Crucial MX 500 x2           

KEYBOARD: Keychron K4    MOUSE: Logitech G502 SE Hero   MOUSE PAD: Goliathus control XL   MONITOR: Alienware AW3423DW + LG 25UM58 + Dell 24"  Speakers: Edifier R1280T + SVS PB1000

Laptop: M1 MacBook Pro 16                     

Feel free to ask any questions you have on anything! I will be sure to respond! Cheers!

PC 1: CPU: i5 12600k     GPU: RTX 4080     MOTHERBOARD: Asus B650M-A D4       RAM: 16x4 DDR4 3200       POWERSUPPLY: EVGA 650 G6  

KEYBOARD: Keychron K4    MOUSE: Logitech G502 SE Hero   MOUSE PAD: Goliathus control XL   MONITOR: Alienware AW3423DW + LG 25UM58 + Dell 24"  Speakers: Edifier R1280T + SVS PB1000

Id be interested in reading it but no one is going to download a random PDF. Its nothing against you. 

If you can post major sections or paragraphs here it would be nice. 

2 hours ago, mynameisjuan said:

Id be interested in reading it but no one is going to download a random PDF. Its nothing against you. 

Agreed but apparently 2 people already downloaded it lol

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Pardon my ignorance, but is that a potential way to break your computer? whats a better format? Docx.? Or is it because of the length of it? Because its well indexed!

As for posting chunks here, there is just so much, dunno where to start.. xD

2 hours ago, mynameisjuan said:

If you can post major sections or paragraphs here it would be nice. 

24 minutes ago, Umeshwarnath said:

Pardon my ignorance, but is that a potential way to break your computer? whats a better format? Docx.? Or is it because of the length of it? Because its well indexed!

As for posting chunks here, there is just so much, dunno where to start.. xD

It’s because of the massive malware risk. Docx would be just as easily infected. 

there’s not really a good way to share a file like that to a stranger who doesn’t trust you.

could post it up to a website instead?

anyway, some will no doubt download the PDF regardless and give it a read. 

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)