Magix VEGAS 17 is really slow on new PC

I just build a new system with an i7 8700 and 32gb, nvme ssd and I moved away from an ancient at this point 775 quad core system. Yeah I know I missed quite a few years of really good hardware, but life is life.

Anyway my question is to anyone who has experienced with this piece of software, is it really badly optimized? Because I've tried to edit a 4K video and it's incredibly slow. Honestly it's no faster than my 775 system with the exact same file. Only difference is the new machine had the file on the nvme ssd, while the old system had it on a sata ssd.

The playback of a video is absolutely painfully horribly slow no matter what option is selected draft, best, etc. It even struggles to playback 1080p videos. How is this possible?

I've ran multiple tests to see if my new system has any issues and nothing seems to be wrong. Cinebench scores are exactly were they should be, the cooler is more than enough at full load it hits 71C and the frequency stays at turbo 4.3GHz, I've checked the ram with memtest, no errors. I've ran other benchmarks and it runs fine. Every single benchmark is just where it should be. So I don't believe it's my system. So the question is Vegas just horribly optimized? Or for 4K video playback in it at least, I just need even more powerful hardware.

If this software is just really bad. Then can any of you suggest to me an alternative that doesn't suck?

Thanks.

26 minutes ago, TheNamelessOne said:

I just build a new system with an i7 8700 and 32gb, nvme ssd and I moved away from an ancient at this point 775 quad core system. Yeah I know I missed quite a few years of really good hardware, but life is life.

Anyway my question is to anyone who has experienced with this piece of software, is it really badly optimized? Because I've tried to edit a 4K video and it's incredibly slow. Honestly it's no faster than my 775 system with the exact same file. Only difference is the new machine had the file on the nvme ssd, while the old system had it on a sata ssd.

The playback of a video is absolutely painfully horribly slow no matter what option is selected draft, best, etc. It even struggles to playback 1080p videos. How is this possible?

I've ran multiple tests to see if my new system has any issues and nothing seems to be wrong. Cinebench scores are exactly were they should be, the cooler is more than enough at full load it hits 71C and the frequency stays at turbo 4.3GHz, I've checked the ram with memtest, no errors. I've ran other benchmarks and it runs fine. Every single benchmark is just where it should be. So I don't believe it's my system. So the question is Vegas just horribly optimized? Or for 4K video playback in it at least, I just need even more powerful hardware.

If this software is just really bad. Then can any of you suggest to me an alternative that doesn't suck?

Thanks.

Video playback is generally more about the GPU than the CPU.  You could check to see how much CPU is being used.  My suspicion is you’re not even close to burying it and what you have is a gpu settings problem.  CPUZ and GPUZ will tell you if you’re burying either component.  If you’re not neither of them are the issue.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

Video playback is generally more about the GPU than the CPU.  You could check to see how much CPU is being used.  My suspicion is you’re not even close to burying it and what you have is a gpu settings problem.  CPUZ and GPUZ will tell you if you’re burying either component.  If you’re not neither of them are the issue.

Well the card that I currently have is a 960 that I moved from the previous system, a card that eventually will get changed when I'll have the money to replace it. So you believe it's the card, I haven't checked with GPU-Z to see the usage when I try to playback.

26 minutes ago, TheNamelessOne said:

Well the card that I currently have is a 960 that I moved from the previous system, a card that eventually will get changed when I'll have the money to replace it. So you believe it's the card, I haven't checked with GPU-Z to see the usage when I try to playback.

Ah. Nvidia 900 series.  I’ve been seeing issue after issue with the Nvidia drivers for those.  I’ve got a 970 and mine were fatal.  I had to pull the card and buy something else

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

8 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Ah. Nvidia 900 series.  I’ve been seeing issue after issue with the Nvidia drivers for those.  I’ve got a 970 and mine were fatal.  I had to pull the card and buy something else

Honestly I haven't had any issues with the drivers for my card for years. I will change it next year when the 3000 series comes out, I mean a new system deserves a new card.