Wyse and Remote servers + Scanning

Protostalker

Hello Linus Tech forum gurus,
I work for a company on the deployment team, but I want to slowly show my worth by learning things and working my way up.
We started doing full on roll outs for a company that does banking and other small things. We decided to roll out thin clients / server setup.

We have the remote server accessible, and WMS / CCM working for the wyse clients, but the Epson TM-S1000 (like a panini) is not getting forwarded.

I was wondering does anyone else have experience with scanners , printers , and thin clients?

On 12/17/2019 at 8:08 PM, Protostalker said:

Hello Linus Tech forum gurus,
I work for a company on the deployment team, but I want to slowly show my worth by learning things and working my way up.
We started doing full on roll outs for a company that does banking and other small things. We decided to roll out thin clients / server setup.

We have the remote server accessible, and WMS / CCM working for the wyse clients, but the Epson TM-S1000 (like a panini) is not getting forwarded.

I was wondering does anyone else have experience with scanners , printers , and thin clients?

We've been dealing with printing issues from a thin client and printer on the same network, and the host server being remote. I only deal with the copier side of things, so I'm not sure what software is being used on the remote server, but whatever it is, it is the problem... We've poured tons of time, swapped out copiers for different models and brands, talked to all the manufactures, and even competing dealers, no one from any of them has ever been able to get whatever this system is to reliably print. Our customer just gave up on it and sounds like they are ditching that company and going back to local desktops.

In a nutshell, scanning and printing mixed with thin clients going to a remote server is a PITA.

@Scheer I understand that, but how is it that banks reliably have thin clients? That shit blows my mind. 
Is it all proprietary? do they have specially dell engineers making them programs?

We currently have put in about 20 hours, and we GOT usb forwarding, but now the server wont see it reliably. We are THIS close to abandoning the project and just using the server for yardi as intended.

On 12/20/2019 at 10:12 PM, Protostalker said:

@Scheer I understand that, but how is it that banks reliably have thin clients? That shit blows my mind. 
Is it all proprietary? do they have specially dell engineers making them programs?

We currently have put in about 20 hours, and we GOT usb forwarding, but now the server wont see it reliably. We are THIS close to abandoning the project and just using the server for yardi as intended.

We have machines in just about every local bank, and none of them use thin clients so I'm not sure what other banks might be using.

I was thinking about this a bit more, and do know VMWare Horizon can do remote printing as one of our schools is using it. Unfortunately, I don't deal with that side of the company so I'm not sure how its handled.

i have experience with this,  some of the wyse clients have the ability to map printer into the remote session through the config ini. however, this is done rarely this is so difficult to manage and support.

in most cases, companies use a print solution which optimizes the traffic for remote printing and maps the printer inside the remote session without any printing capability needed on the local device.  you should consider a universal print server for this type of solution. 

uniprint, thinprint are all vendors in this area.

they wont come cheap but will solve the challenges you are having. another option is to switch to citrix that includes universal print server under its licensing which honestly isnt advanced as some of the other licensed solutions but comes free under their xendesktop/xenapp licensing.

printing is one of many things you will find lacking with RDS, you can layer on another vendor (thinprint or uniprint) but you find at certain point value going to a single vendor solution provided by Citrix.

I manage a couple VDI deployments and we ended up using network scanners for all these. 

I'm not sure what the model is but Jack Henry only supports one networked check scanner. Talk to your app provider and see what they recommend. Check scanners and the software that reads from them do not communicate in the same way that regular document scanners from HP or whatever do, so you'll find a lot of what you find online doesn't apply to your case. 

Panini in particular has a debug tool you can get from their support which will show all the commands the scanner is recieving which helps a lot with troubleshooting them. 

Intel 11700K - Gigabyte 3080 Ti- Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Pro - Sabrent Rocket NVME - Corsair 16GB DDR4