Many place to store data

gogogame

My family PC has 2 of 1TB WD blue 7200 RPM and 120GB SSD

our home media center PC (formarly my rig) has 2 of 1TB samsung (something I extract it from broke external HDD connector) and a 256 GB NVME SSD WD blue

My main rig currently has only 256 GB NVME SSD WD blue

I would like to have only a single place to store a file aand can access it from anywhere (I mean in the same network), and I can't seem to make window 10 file sharing work

Any advice?

Just now, gogogame said:

Any advice?

Buy a NAS.

Problem solved

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

9 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Buy a NAS.

Problem solved

Like he said.

If a NAS is too expensive for you then use a old computer with a good amount of storage and turn it into a file server.

15 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Buy a NAS.

Problem solved

Dang that really looks expensive,

5 minutes ago, VinZie said:

Like he said.

If a NAS is too expensive for you then use a old computer with a good amount of storage and turn it into a file server.

I do have spare old PC  just need another case for it

Is it that hard to build a NAS? and do I have to turn it on 24/7 or just when I need to use a file?

Just now, gogogame said:

Dang that really looks expensive,

I do have spare old PC  just need another case for it

Is it that hard to build a NAS? and do I have to turn it on 24/7 or just when I need to use a file?

Depends on what you are going to use it for. It would be useless to just turn on/off when you wanna use it/don't use it. You can build your PC and install FreeNAS and I would recommend getting new drives and getting a RAID Card so you can play around with how you wanna go about using your file server.

(https://www.pcworld.com/article/241978/how_to_build_your_own_network_attached_storage_system.html)

8 minutes ago, VinZie said:

Depends on what you are going to use it for. It would be useless to just turn on/off when you wanna use it/don't use it. You can build your PC and install FreeNAS and I would recommend getting new drives and getting a RAID Card so you can play around with how you wanna go about using your file server.

(https://www.pcworld.com/article/241978/how_to_build_your_own_network_attached_storage_system.html)

For now just occasional use, like backup phone storage, family photo etc.

I think it would take around 2 TB of storage

Is new drives and raid card considered necessary? or I should buy them when I'm really going to build a decent one?

of course...Windows 10 caused me to have the same dilemma when they deleted the Homegroup...my solution? I flicked Win 10 and went back to 8.1...that was over 14 months ago now and am still happily using 8.1, on 2 desktops and 2 laptops...and M/S is keeping updates alive for 8.1 for a couple of years yet...

FreeNAS is also a great option

1 hour ago, Pharr Carnell said:

of course...Windows 10 caused me to have the same dilemma when they deleted the Homegroup...my solution? I flicked Win 10 and went back to 8.1...that was over 14 months ago now and am still happily using 8.1, on 2 desktops and 2 laptops...and M/S is keeping updates alive for 8.1 for a couple of years yet...