Boot error

kjgruber
I have a msi z97s sli krait edition. I was originally getting a boot error. More specifically "reboot and select proper boot device" This was after I tried to change my boot device to my new ssd. I was struggling to fix it and eventually restored my bios settings to default, from within the bios. After this, my PC wouldn't post and no power was going to the keyboard and mouse. Fans were still working. I tried everything. I reset my cmos, pulled out all the hardware, and reset my cpu. I was really busy for two days and tried turning it on tonight. It posted but now I'm getting the original error message, "reboot and select proper boot device." Anybody have any clue what is going on. I originally tried like 5 or 6 different things to fix the boot error. Any suggestions?

EDIT: It's not posting with my new graphics card in (RX 5700 xt red dragon). I still get the boot error with the graphics card not plugged in. 

7 minutes ago, TheGlenlivet said:

Did you install windows on the new SSD?

I used a partition to transfer my os over to my ssd. So, I don't think i installed windows on the new ssd. I have no experience with this stuff though, this was my first time messing around with this. I'm able to get into the bios now and make my original hardrive my boot drive but I'm still getting the error message. I would also like to add, the partition was working but then I deleted the new volumes it created and reset, don't ask me why... 

1 minute ago, kjgruber said:

I used a partition to transfer my os over to my ssd. So, I don't think i installed windows on the new ssd. I have no experience with this stuff though, this was my first time messing around with this. I'm able to get into the bios now and make my original hardrive my boot drive but I'm still getting the error message. 

Uh oh.  Is it possible you could have damaged or erased the original install while trying to move it?

I'd make a windows install thumb drive and see if you can restore the original install with the SSD unplugged.  Get back to square one then try and install windows correctly on the SSD and transfer your files and games over.

1 minute ago, TheGlenlivet said:

Uh oh.  Is it possible you could have damaged or erased the original install while trying to move it?

I'd make a windows install thumb drive and see if you can restore the original install with the SSD unplugged.  Get back to square one then try and install windows correctly on the SSD and transfer your files and games over.

Ok. Windows wasn't activated anyways. It gives me the opportunity for a fresh install. Hopefully this is the problem. 

1 minute ago, kjgruber said:

Ok. Windows wasn't activated anyways. It gives me the opportunity for a fresh install. Hopefully this is the problem. 

Probably.  Unplug the SSD, go into bios and select the original drive.  If you still have the error, then reinstall.

4 minutes ago, Mustangmatt215 said:

Re Install windows on new drive should fix that issue. You prb got a corrupted file somewhere 

That's been the consensus, which is reassuring. I'm currently re-installing on a thumb drive. Thank you. 

1 hour ago, kjgruber said:

This worked, my computer will post and boot but as soon as i plug in my gpu, it doesn't post or power my keyboard or mouse. Possible power supply problem? It's 550w. 

15 hours ago, kjgruber said:

This worked, my computer will post and boot but as soon as i plug in my gpu, it doesn't post or power my keyboard or mouse. Possible power supply problem? It's 550w. 

It might be.  Did it work before with the GPU?