Building a NAS for my parents.

adm0n

I'm planning to gift my parents a barebone nas for Christams and I'm wondering if this would be a good build for the price:

I'm getting all the parts locally, so I'd pay around 370€

My father hobby is photography, so he would back up his pictures to the system and my mother would probably only ever back up her computer on it. I'm thinking of maybe setting it up, so that my father could edit his images right on the nas.

I intend to run either unraid or freeNAS on it. I read, that a raid(5) would be better for stability and zfs would be better for perfomance, is this right? I also want the whole system to be as power efficent as possible, so the low powered i3 is actually perfect for that. But if there is a better option, please tell me :)

I will also require them to buy the harddrives for themselves.

honestly from someone who struggles with FreeNAS himself, i'd recommend a Synology box for your parents. it's just waaay simpler, uses less power, is smaller, costs less and is easy to set up. Just get one pre-filled with like 2x 4TB drives and another external drive to make regular backups to and you're set.

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

20 minutes ago, adm0n said:

I will also require them to buy the harddrives for themselves.

21 minutes ago, adm0n said:

My father hobby is photography, so he would back up his pictures to the system and my mother would probably only ever back up her computer on it. I'm thinking of maybe setting it up, so that my father could edit his images right on the nas.

Wouldn't buying them a usb drive for christmas fit this purpose?

13 minutes ago, FloRolf said:

honestly from someone who struggles with FreeNAS himself, i'd recommend a Synology box for your parents. it's just waaay simpler, uses less power, is smaller, costs less and is easy to set up. Just get one pre-filled with like 2x 4TB drives and another external drive to make regular backups to and you're set.

I'd set it up for them. But a good synology 4x box would cost already more than what I put together ... And this is already going to be a present for multiple years..
But thank you for your input. I considered them as well. I just don't think 2 bays will suffice. If you safe your pictures in raw and as jpgs, you are down 50mb per picture at least. With how many pictures he already has, and redundancy, as well with a backup of their pcs, It would already be kinda a strech, if they don't go for the expensive 10TB HDDs.

Wouldn't buying them a usb drive for christmas fit this purpose?

My mother simply won't make a backup. She already has an usb drive for that, even though it is a mac and all she has to do is plug the USB drive in ... so the only thing I could do there, would be automating it...

And my father already has a bunch of full USB harddrives.