Help With Dual Boot

hiyayhi

Hey guys I am just looking for a bit of help with dual booting linux and windows 7.

I want to put linux onto an SSD that I bought the other day and leave windows on the HDD that I already have it on.

Is this possible? If so how?

Thanks for any help :D

The first step to insanity is believing in your sanity.

For me, I had Windows 8 installed, and I installed Linux, and the Windows 8 boot manager just pick up Linux and gives you an option for it.

Note: I installed Ubuntu within Windows.

Install windows first then install linux.

windows likes to overwrite the mbr.  but when linux installs grub it detects windows and adds an entry

I haven't needed to change anything other than reorder the grub menu.

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

For me, I had Windows 8 installed, and I installed Linux, and the Windows 8 boot manager just pick up Linux and gives you an option for it.

Note: I installed Ubuntu within Windows.

Install windows first then install linux.

windows likes to overwrite the mbr.  but when linux installs grub it detects windows and adds an entry

I haven't needed to change anything other than reorder the grub menu.

Thanks guys I'm off to try this out right away!

The first step to insanity is believing in your sanity.

If you install a multi boot with the OSs on different different drives, and you want to remove one of those drives, can you still boot out of the other? Do you need to delete the dual boot first?

If you install a multi boot with the OSs on different different drives, and you want to remove one of those drives, can you still boot out of the other? Do you need to delete the dual boot first?

I've never actually done this, but in that case you would probably not even need

a dual boot capable boot manager (you could use one I'd think, but you wouldn't

need it). The two possible scenarios would be:

For the non-boot manager route:

All you'd have to do is select which drive to boot from in the BIOS. The OS on the

selected drive should then be booted as if there was only one OS on your system.

So, if you remove one of the OS drives, the other one should still work without a

problem.

With dual boot manager:

If you have configured the boot manager to pick up the OS's on both drives, and that

boot manager is still around and displays the OS entry from the removed drive, you'll

most likely get an error, but the OS that's still around should be bootable without

problems. If you have removed the drive upon which resides the boot manager, you will

be back to scenario 1, and your system should boot as if there had only ever been 1 OS

in the first place.

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

You are using different drives, just install Linux on the SSD. Then GRUB will let you choose between Linux or Windows. This method will prevent from modifying your Windows installation, so if you decide to reformat the ssd you dont have to worry about having problems booting windows.

Mobo: Asus Maximus Impact VI Processor: Intel 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.22Vlts Memory: 2x8 GB DDR3 1866Mhz GSkill Sniper

VGA: Sapphire HD 7970 3GB OC Audio: Asus Impact Supreme FX SSD: Mushkin Chronos 120GB HDD: WD Black 500GB

Power Supply: Coolermaster V650 Semi Modular Case: Bitfenix Prodigy Cooling: Corsair H100i