This is weird.

Go to solution Solved by Mbowen,
On 12/13/2019 at 2:22 AM, esojscratchem said:

I've done that. Yes and it came up with the 760 being the issue. But the 760 works in another PC - why?

Weird thing here. For some reason it seems to attempt to either check or install a simple driver during the windows install and the hardware issue prevents that. As for the other PC, it may be using the default windows drivers. I find that often if the GPU has hardware issues, the drivers just *poof* disappear and the card then runs off the installed windows driver. If you want to check it, update the driver and see if the card freaks out. Should either black screen when booting or artifact heavily. Doing a safe boot to remove the drivers can pull that pc out of its GPU death throws. 

Good luck!

Right. I am building a PC which has an i5 2320, 8GB of DDR3 RAM, a HCupertino 2 motherboard, a Zotac GTX 760 and it's all powered by a 500w power supply. Never in my years of building have I experienced this because the PC will not boot with the GTX 760. Did all standard procedure - this is not the point - and nothing still. Ran a hd 6670, works fine. Assumed it was a power supply issue, but it isn't because I ran an MSI GTX 770 in the system and it ran fine as well. Weirdly enough, the GTX 760 works in my main system perfectly fine. Has anyone had this before? Is there anything about the 760 I should know about?

Try booting up with the GPU having no power cables, to see if it's a power supply issue.

Quote or mention me or I won't be notified of your reply!

Main Rig: R7 3700x New!, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB, ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming New!, Corsair RGB 2x16GB 3200MHz New!, 512GB Crucial P5, 120GB Samsung SSD, 1TB Segate SSHD, 2TB Barracuda HDD

MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Max, 32GB RAM)

Links: My beautiful sketchy case | My website

I had an issue like this with a 780. Completely kept the machine from finishing the install. Checked every component in every configuration until I landed on a GPU issue being the cause. Doing a minimum hardware boot I discovered the issue. 

10 hours ago, ImAlsoRan said:

Try booting up with the GPU having no power cables, to see if it's a power supply issue.

Already did that. The fan went to max rpm and there was no display. Again, the 760 works fine in my other PC, but strangely my GTX 770, a card which requires more power, works fine. I was originally thinking it was like a PCI E legacy setting in the BIOS being on or something but I haven't really fiddled with the settings. Allow me to reiterate - all the parts work completely.

10 hours ago, Mbowen said:

I had an issue like this with a 780. Completely kept the machine from finishing the install. Checked every component in every configuration until I landed on a GPU issue being the cause. Doing a minimum hardware boot I discovered the issue. 

I've done that. Yes and it came up with the 760 being the issue. But the 760 works in another PC - why?

On 12/13/2019 at 2:22 AM, esojscratchem said:

Weird thing here. For some reason it seems to attempt to either check or install a simple driver during the windows install and the hardware issue prevents that. As for the other PC, it may be using the default windows drivers. I find that often if the GPU has hardware issues, the drivers just *poof* disappear and the card then runs off the installed windows driver. If you want to check it, update the driver and see if the card freaks out. Should either black screen when booting or artifact heavily. Doing a safe boot to remove the drivers can pull that pc out of its GPU death throws. 

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...