Overheating 2080 Ti?

Vizzaral

Hi all,

I own an MSI 2080 Ti Sea Hawk X, the AIO, and have owned it for just under a year. Recently though, it's stopped cooling itself. The fan is still running, I've felt the tubes for vibrations, and I believe the pump is still working, but I am idling around 52 degrees, and I hit 100 and crash my PC 5 seconds after launching a game. The fan isn't pushing hot air out of the radiator, and I can only feel cool air, but if I touch the backplate, it is burning. 

Any help is appreciated. ~Vizz.

11 minutes ago, Vizzaral said:

Hi all,

I own an MSI 2080 Ti Sea Hawk X, the AIO, and have owned it for just under a year. Recently though, it's stopped cooling itself. The fan is still running, I've felt the tubes for vibrations, and I believe the pump is still working, but I am idling around 52 degrees, and I hit 100 and crash my PC 5 seconds after launching a game. The fan isn't pushing hot air out of the radiator, and I can only feel cool air, but if I touch the backplate, it is burning. 

Any help is appreciated. ~Vizz.

Sound like it isn't transfering the heat to the radiator. So either the pump is bad or cooling plate isn't touching CPU die. You should be able to check if the pump is running, but I don't know what the RMA policy is for MSI, if you open up the card.

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

Pump running doesn’t necessarily mean pump is actually working.  A hand is a terrible temp sensor though.  50s is high for idle.  I assume it was lower before?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

19 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Pump running doesn’t necessarily mean pump is actually working.  A hand is a terrible temp sensor though.  50s is high for idle.  I assume it was lower before?

I can feel the heat from CPU AIO, but nothing from the GPU. Used to be around 35 idle (Cause Australia ambient), but now since I ran DDU (after i created this thread), it just overheats and crashes within a minute of turning my PC on, not even running any apps.

23 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

Sound like it isn't transfering the heat to the radiator. So either the pump is bad or cooling plate isn't touching CPU die. You should be able to check if the pump is running, but I don't know what the RMA policy is for MSI, if you open up the card.

Are there any easy ways to check that don't involve me opening the card? 

3 minutes ago, Vizzaral said:

I can feel the heat from CPU AIO, but nothing from the GPU. Used to be around 35 idle (Cause Australia ambient), but now since I ran DDU (after i created this thread), it just overheats and crashes within a minute of turning my PC on, not even running any apps.

Not really.. Your ambient temperature isn't gone up 15c? Maybe the thermal paste has gone bad.

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

FS in Denmark/EU:

9 minutes ago, Vizzaral said:

Ddu removes video drivers.  Not sure how video drivers would cause this problem.  Could be coincidence not causality.  Not sure.  I’m little help.  I’m sorry.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

14 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

Ended up applying to a warrenty with PCCG (shop I bought it from), since they usually are willing to test it and then handle it for me. Shame I couldn't fix it myself, my Mobo doesn't have any display ports.

Ewww, why would you waste your money on a water cooled 2080Ti? The air cooled ones barely reach 70C