Is it possible a perfect 100% volume but quality stay the same?

Dipypang
Go to solution Solved by Derkoli,
12 hours ago, Dipypang said:

Hi guys,

I’m wondering if it’s possible to maintain great quality audio even with max volume from pc? Music source from Spotify.

Do I need great speakers, DAC/AMP, or anything to make that possible.

Any suggestion for speakers, DAC/AMP or any requirements for that.

I really want to set up a great audio setup to enjoy great quality and loud music.

Thanks!

Well, this is gonna be a long one, get comfortable.

The factors that affect how loud a speaker can get are:

It's power handling (how much power it can get supplied with before damage occurs)

Enclosure (the main "body" of a speaker, usually made of wood, or thick plastic, although some higher end speakers use aluminium, carbon fiber, etc.)

Sensitivity (how loud a speaker will get with one watt, most speakers have a sensitivity of around 88dB, meaning they will get to 88dB with one watt of power, human speech is around 60-65dBa)

Available power (a speaker won't get loud with 1 watt of power, so we need quite a bit of power, most speakers are happy with around 50 watts)

So, given those factors, companies generally try to make a speaker relatively sensitive, but not extremely sensitive to the point where the noise floor is very audible, but klipsch are quite famous for making sensitive speakers, such as the Klipschorn which has a sensitivity of 105dB, so if we give that speaker 1 watt, it will produce audio at an amplitude/volume of 105dB, Which for reference is similar to an engine-driven chainsaw about 1 metre from your ear, which is very loud.

Most speakers are listed of having a maximum dB SPL, which is given as continuous and peak SPL, Peak SPL is how loud the speaker can get momentarily, and Continuous SPL is how loud the speaker can get for a long period of time, alot of speakers used in applications such as concerts can get extremely loud, both continuously and peak. Such as the JBL VTX A12, which is rated at 146 dB continuously, which is over 10dB louder than a jet engine 100ft above you, so very, very loud.

With subwoofers, their cabinet is generally "tuned", So is designed to get very loud near a certain frequency, and play clearly at that frequency, Main speakers (satellites, 2.0 speakers etc.) Are not tuned, as they have to play a wide range of frequencies, And we want all those frequencies to sound nice and clear. Subwoofers are designed to play a strict amount of frequencies, The majority of subwoofers play about 23-120hz, But some subwoofers can play all the way down to 0 Hz, Aka the rotary subwoofer. https://www.soundandvision.com/content/eminent-technology-trw-17-rotary-subwoofer

Rotary subwoofers will play very loud, as a fan is generally excellent at pressurizing air, and thats what a speaker is designed to do, Pressurize air. However rotary subwoofers cant play much above 20 hz, so are only good for specific applications.

Subwoofers are actually an excellent way to increase the maximum volume of smaller speakers, as all the low frequencies (such as 80hz and below) can be played on the subwoofer's, So the smaller speakers can concentrate on playing sound above 80hz, or wherever the "crossover" is set to. (I'll explain these later) This allows to them to play audio alot louder, as they dont have to worry about 80hz and below, which takes alot of power to do. So all that power that was spent on playing 80hz and below can now be spent on playing above 80hz, so much higher volumes can be achieved. This is why subwoofers are used in the majority of home cinemas, as they can help the main speakers achieve much higher volumes, and they can provide alot of "oomph".

If you look at speakers and their applications, home speakers generally will never get up to 120dB, it's just too loud, unless you're the late jeremy kipnis, with his home cinema. https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/cine-beta-kipnis-studio-standard-6-million-kss-home-theater/

Cinema speakers will get to 130dB at most, which is enough to fill a room, especially when you have a 9.1 or more setup.

DAC's generally won't affect the maximum volume achieveable, but some have higher output RMS, while some have pretty low output RMS, My Schiit YGGDRASIL is definetley quieter than my CHORD DAVE, But they aren't exactly in the same price bracket.

Sources absolutely affect maximum achieveable volume, I find spotify to be relatively quiet, and Foobar2000 very loud, You can get EqualizerAPO to apply effects to level everything off to a certain volume.

Hi guys,

I’m wondering if it’s possible to maintain great quality audio even with max volume from pc? Music source from Spotify.

I really want to set up a great audio setup to enjoy great quality and loud music.

Thanks!

12 minutes ago, Himommies said:

Yes but what is your use case?

Just to listen to high quality loud music with desktop speakers 

10 minutes ago, cole0622 said:

what speakers are you using now do they use external power?

altec lansing bxr1221. Have been using since 2013 and very satisfied overall but >75% volume the sound quality dropped with noise.

I am ready if I need to change a better speakers.

21 minutes ago, cole0622 said:

is more than 75% in the speaker volume or pc volume?

Speaker volume 100%, pc volume 75%

well that's the right way to do it, I would get some bigger speakers, as far as a suggestion for like brand or model I don't think I can help much. I normally use headphones when listening to music

19 minutes ago, cole0622 said:

well that's the right way to do it, I would get some bigger speakers, as far as a suggestion for like brand or model I don't think I can help much. I normally use headphones when listening to music

Any recommendations for speakers? Do you use DAC/AMP?

Well I don't need to have super loud music so my usb to audio card woks well with just straight speakers. idk exactly what you need but it sounds like you need an amp and some bigger speakers. A DAC is just a converter to go from a digital signal to an analog signal so I don't think you need that.

for passive speakers it depends entirely on the amp you use but also you can out too much power to the speakers and sunsequanntly break them it your talking about how the speakers an get distported thats just the nature of the speaker any speaker can reach that point if you put enough power into it. thats why bigger speakers usually means loder because there is more room before it distorts. so it depends enitrely on what you mean by loud. I can push mine to a 100 without distoring and it will be plenty loud loud enough to hear at the other side of the house they are smaller bookshelf speakers  but they have decent sized woofers to dhandle it but depending on the song. say I play "YO by injury reserve at 80W per channel into the speakers it will distoprt a crap toon but if it's a more reasonable song like oxford comma by vapire weekend it wont distort. 

but if your talking about percieved noise at highe volumes without anything playing then thats something iwithing your system whether it be your source or you amp. but should not be the speaker

11 minutes ago, rice guru said:

for passive speakers it depends entirely on the amp you use but also you can out too much power to the speakers and sunsequanntly break them it your talking about how the speakers an get distported thats just the nature of the speaker any speaker can reach that point if you put enough power into it. thats why bigger speakers usually means loder because there is more room before it distorts. so it depends enitrely on what you mean by loud. I can push mine to a 100 without distoring and it will be plenty loud loud enough to hear at the other side of the house they are smaller bookshelf speakers  but they have decent sized woofers to dhandle it but depending on the song. say I play "YO by injury reserve at 80W per channel into the speakers it will distoprt a crap toon but if it's a more reasonable song like oxford comma by vapire weekend it wont distort. 

but if your talking about percieved noise at highe volumes without anything playing then thats something iwithing your system whether it be your source or you amp. but should not be the speaker

What speakers you using sir?

do you mind to share your audio setup :D

maybe I can follow your setup haha

8 minutes ago, Dipypang said:

What speakers you using sir?

do you mind to share your audio setup :D

maybe I can follow your setup haha

I use micca RB 42's with a topping d30 for my amp I reccomend looking up reviews for them as well as your alternatives. like a sony sscs5

4 minutes ago, rice guru said:

I use micca RB 42's with a topping d30 for my amp I reccomend looking up reviews for them as well as your alternatives. like a sony sscs5

Someone recommends me a Klipsch promedia 2.1 for the speakers. What do you think?

1 minute ago, Dipypang said:

Someone recommends me a Klipsch promedia 2.1 for the speakers. What do you think?

I'm a headphone guy not a speaker guy unfortunately that's why I reccomended looking around before copying my setup at the the time I bought mine it was the best I could get here in Canada for my small budget. @Derkoli is a speaker guy he could help

6 minutes ago, rice guru said:

I'm a headphone guy not a speaker guy unfortunately that's why I reccomended looking around before copying my setup at the the time I bought mine it was the best I could get here in Canada for my small budget. @Derkoli is a speaker guy he could help

Aw okay but I just browsed your setup and I found out the DAC you’re using only output to speakers and no headphone output. So your headphone directly plug into pc? Or with any other DAC/AMP?

@Derkoli mind share a budget setup sir? 

Just now, Dipypang said:

Aw okay but I just browsed your setup and I found out the DAC you’re using only output to speakers and no headphone output. So your headphone directly plug into pc? Or with any other DAC/AMP?

@Derkoli mind share a budget setup sir? 

I have a dac the topping d10  which is my dac which splits to my ... oops, I said d30 sorry! I mean topping pa3 is my speaker amp. and the d10 also splits into my monoprive liquidspark which is my headphone amp.

Aha, 2 mentions on one topic

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

8 hours ago, Dipypang said:

Klipsch promedia's are absolutely awesome for the price, proper 2 way satellites, tweeter with a waveguide, decent amplifiers, nice subwoofer and enclosure for it. If you can find them go for them.

https://www.klipsch.com/products/klipsch-promedia-2-1-computer-speakers

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

45 minutes ago, Derkoli said:

Klipsch promedia's are absolutely awesome for the price, proper 2 way satellites, tweeter with a waveguide, decent amplifiers, nice subwoofer and enclosure for it. If you can find them go for them.

https://www.klipsch.com/products/klipsch-promedia-2-1-computer-speakers

I just browsed around and found out that the Edifier S1000DB will be my choice, how do you think sir? Do I need a subwoofer with that?

12 hours ago, Dipypang said:

Hi guys,

Thanks!

It's power handling (how much power it can get supplied with before damage occurs)

Enclosure (the main "body" of a speaker, usually made of wood, or thick plastic, although some higher end speakers use aluminium, carbon fiber, etc.)

Sensitivity (how loud a speaker will get with one watt, most speakers have a sensitivity of around 88dB, meaning they will get to 88dB with one watt of power, human speech is around 60-65dBa)

Available power (a speaker won't get loud with 1 watt of power, so we need quite a bit of power, most speakers are happy with around 50 watts)

So, given those factors, companies generally try to make a speaker relatively sensitive, but not extremely sensitive to the point where the noise floor is very audible, but klipsch are quite famous for making sensitive speakers, such as the Klipschorn which has a sensitivity of 105dB, so if we give that speaker 1 watt, it will produce audio at an amplitude/volume of 105dB, Which for reference is similar to an engine-driven chainsaw about 1 metre from your ear, which is very loud.

Most speakers are listed of having a maximum dB SPL, which is given as continuous and peak SPL, Peak SPL is how loud the speaker can get momentarily, and Continuous SPL is how loud the speaker can get for a long period of time, alot of speakers used in applications such as concerts can get extremely loud, both continuously and peak. Such as the JBL VTX A12, which is rated at 146 dB continuously, which is over 10dB louder than a jet engine 100ft above you, so very, very loud.

With subwoofers, their cabinet is generally "tuned", So is designed to get very loud near a certain frequency, and play clearly at that frequency, Main speakers (satellites, 2.0 speakers etc.) Are not tuned, as they have to play a wide range of frequencies, And we want all those frequencies to sound nice and clear. Subwoofers are designed to play a strict amount of frequencies, The majority of subwoofers play about 23-120hz, But some subwoofers can play all the way down to 0 Hz, Aka the rotary subwoofer. https://www.soundandvision.com/content/eminent-technology-trw-17-rotary-subwoofer

Rotary subwoofers will play very loud, as a fan is generally excellent at pressurizing air, and thats what a speaker is designed to do, Pressurize air. However rotary subwoofers cant play much above 20 hz, so are only good for specific applications.

Subwoofers are actually an excellent way to increase the maximum volume of smaller speakers, as all the low frequencies (such as 80hz and below) can be played on the subwoofer's, So the smaller speakers can concentrate on playing sound above 80hz, or wherever the "crossover" is set to. (I'll explain these later) This allows to them to play audio alot louder, as they dont have to worry about 80hz and below, which takes alot of power to do. So all that power that was spent on playing 80hz and below can now be spent on playing above 80hz, so much higher volumes can be achieved. This is why subwoofers are used in the majority of home cinemas, as they can help the main speakers achieve much higher volumes, and they can provide alot of "oomph".

If you look at speakers and their applications, home speakers generally will never get up to 120dB, it's just too loud, unless you're the late jeremy kipnis, with his home cinema. https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/cine-beta-kipnis-studio-standard-6-million-kss-home-theater/

Cinema speakers will get to 130dB at most, which is enough to fill a room, especially when you have a 9.1 or more setup.

DAC's generally won't affect the maximum volume achieveable, but some have higher output RMS, while some have pretty low output RMS, My Schiit YGGDRASIL is definetley quieter than my CHORD DAVE, But they aren't exactly in the same price bracket.

Sources absolutely affect maximum achieveable volume, I find spotify to be relatively quiet, and Foobar2000 very loud, You can get EqualizerAPO to apply effects to level everything off to a certain volume.

8 minutes ago, Dipypang said:

I just browsed around and found out that the Edifier S1000DB will be my choice, how do you think sir? Do I need a subwoofer with that?

The S1000DB's are excellent aswell, on par with the Promedia's, possibly slightly "sweeter" treble, But klipsch tweeters are generally very good.

You most likely won't need a subwoofer, unless you're aiming for a full 20-20,000Hz response, or have a massive room that needs filling.

48 minutes ago, Derkoli said:

Thanks for this long explanation sir, learned something today thanks! ??

46 minutes ago, Derkoli said:

The S1000DB's are excellent aswell, on par with the Promedia's, possibly slightly "sweeter" treble, But klipsch tweeters are generally very good.

You most likely won't need a subwoofer, unless you're aiming for a full 20-20,000Hz response, or have a massive room that needs filling.

Ok I think I’ll purchase Edifier as my next audio system! 
I’m getting a Fiio K5 Pro for my budget DAC/AMP, is it okay sir?

so the setup is:

connect music from PC Spotify via USB to Fiio, then from Fiio output to Edifier via Analog cables (red&white).

That’s it right?

sorry it’s my first time with this and I’m very excited because I really enjoy listening to music a lot so I really hope to get a mid-end audio system for myself in my room :D

4 hours ago, Dipypang said:

Thanks for this long explanation sir, learned something today thanks! ??

Ok I think I’ll purchase Edifier as my next audio system! 
I’m getting a Fiio K5 Pro for my budget DAC/AMP, is it okay sir?

so the setup is:

connect music from PC Spotify via USB to Fiio, then from Fiio output to Edifier via Analog cables (red&white).

That’s it right?

sorry it’s my first time with this and I’m very excited because I really enjoy listening to music a lot so I really hope to get a mid-end audio system for myself in my room :D

Yes that is correct, and the Fiio K5 is pretty damn good, God alot of features for the price.

And the edifiers come with the cables you need, so don't bother buying any other cables

5 hours ago, Derkoli said:

Yes that is correct, and the Fiio K5 is pretty damn good, God alot of features for the price.

And the edifiers come with the cables you need, so don't bother buying any other cables

Yay okay! :D

Do you think it is worth sir to upgrade my Altec Lansing BXR1221 to Edifier S1000DB?