Second gpu behind first?

The Torrent

So i got a rog strix gpu vertical mounted.

I cant afford another rog strix card the premium for them is too much XD,

If it fits, any negatives of sticking a second card of whatever brand behind my vertical mounted one and disconnecting my vertical mounted one but leaving it mounted so i just get rgb off it?

I feel like it will look better too as when viewing from an angle you'll see the card behind itll be like a block. Anyone done this? Photos?

SLI causes lesser 1 percent low fps and is not worth the money. Just sell both cards and get a better one. Sell both 1060s and get a 5700 and a better CPU

If you want me to see your reply, please tag me @Faisal A

Just now, Faisal A said:

SLI causes lesser 1 percent low fps and is not worth the money. Just sell both cards and get a better one.

I don't think he wants SLI, the front card would be just for visuals, right?

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

I think he wants to not use the old card at all, just leave it disconnected except the RGB for cosmetics...

6 minutes ago, The Torrent said:

disconnecting my vertical mounted one but leaving it mounted so i just get rgb off it?

How's the card RGB driven? Additional plug or built-in? If built-in you'd need the card connected...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

2 minutes ago, Faisal A said:

@Eigenvektor So the card would be non functional ?

That's how I understood it.

9 minutes ago, The Torrent said:

sticking a second card of whatever brand behind my vertical mounted one and disconnecting my vertical mounted one but leaving it mounted so i just get rgb off it?

As @Kilrah said, I have my doubts a disconnected card would give you RGB, plus you'd probably waste some power and/or cables keeping it connected to the PSU just for RGB. Might also block some airflow for the actual card?

6 hours ago, Eigenvektor said:

I don't think he wants SLI, the front card would be just for visuals, right?

Yep,

6 hours ago, Kilrah said:

I think he wants to not use the old card at all, just leave it disconnected except the RGB for cosmetics...

How's the card RGB driven? Additional plug or built-in? If built-in you'd need the card connected...

it’s the rgb on the rog strix cards. I have no clue how it’s powered anyone know? Is it pcie or 6 pin power for the rgb? Or both?

6 hours ago, Eigenvektor said:

That's how I understood it.

As @Kilrah said, I have my doubts a disconnected card would give you RGB, plus you'd probably waste some power and/or cables keeping it connected to the PSU just for RGB. Might also block some airflow for the actual card?

airflows a good point, I’ll guess that depends on clearance though so I’ll have to test that out myself.

10 hours ago, The Torrent said:

it’s the rgb on the rog strix cards. I have no clue how it’s powered anyone know? Is it pcie or 6 pin power for the rgb? Or both?

I don't know, sorry. Either should be more than enough to power rgb. I suppose even without a second GPU or iGPU it should be easy to check, just disconnect it and power on. My suspicion is the card may go into standby without a PCIe connection.