two motherboards 1 psu

Remington

I am working on a new rig. I am leaning towards integrating two motherboards and everything that goes with them into one case, running off of one power supply. I currently have a fully modular Rosewill Lightning 1300 that I am considering using (yes, I know it is old) to run two systems. I have tracked down a psu splitter that Linus discussed on a LTT episode. I have had a difficult time locating a power supply calculator that can take into account two systems. One of my rigs will be used as a plex media server on 24/7, the other will be my daily driver (school, gaming, etc). I am looking to see if this will work for my needs, or should I go with two PSUs? Here are my specs:
system 1 (always on):
Asus Crosshair V formula Z
AMD fx 9590 CPU
Thermaltake water 3.0 ultimate watercooler
4x8 (32) gb ddr3 ram

(possibly Sapphire rx 570 GPU)
6-5 7200 RPM HDDs (anywhere from 1 tb to 8 tb)
1-2 2.5" SSD

System 2:
Asus 570x ROG STRIX motherboard
Thermaltake water 3.0 ultimate watercooler
4x16 (64) gb ddr4
Ryzen 7 3800x CPU
m.2 SSD
1 3 tb HDD

between the two, I expect to have 9 fans (3 per water cooler) and 3 spaced around the case

edit: I am using a RTX 2070 TI, this will be used in system two; system two will be purchased within the next 6 months

Edited by Remington

19 minutes ago, Remington said:

system 1 (always on):
20-30w (onboard devices, chipset etc) Asus Crosshair V formula Z
200w-250w  AMD fx 9590 CPU
10-20w Thermaltake water 3.0 ultimate watercooler
10-15w .. about 2-3w per stick (possibly from 3.3v or 5v) 4x8 (32) gb ddr3 ram

180-200w (possibly Sapphire rx 570 GPU)
~8w each (4w at 5v , 4-5w from 12v) 6-5 7200 RPM HDDs (anywhere from 1 tb to 8 tb)
~2w from 5v, (up to 8-10w during heavy writes) each 1-2 2.5" SSD

System 2:
assume 20-30w Asus 570x ROG STRIX motherboard
same as first Thermaltake water 3.0 ultimate watercooler
about same as first build, 10-15w 4x16 (64) gb ddr4
~ 126w at stock, reserve 150w ... Ryzen 7 3800x CPU
m.2 SSD
1 3 tb HDD

no video card mentioned ?

2-3 w each ... between the two, I expect to have 9 fans (3 per water cooler) and 3 spaced around the case

Do everyone a favor and get rid of the FX 9590 ... from a brute force perspective, it has less power than a Ryzen 1600 which consumes under 100 watts.

You just overload the psu and make that system noisy and hard to cool with so much heat produced.

A cheap B450 board is 60$, a Ryzen 1600 is 100$ or less... sell that bundle on eBay and you'll get $100 for that easily

Mariushm,

I should have specified that system one is my current rig, system two is the one I am planning to get within 6 months. It has performed beautifully and I already have a 360 mm rad water cooler on it, I am not worried about its power consumption. It would be an upgrade for a plex server running a fx 63xx 6 core processor. And time wise, it would save me hours of time getting a new system set up/updated/plex back running fully. I am merely looking to see if my power supply can safely handle two systems, or if I need two PSUs

22 hours ago, APasz said:

Some napkin math shows it'll be about 850ish peak watts. Your 1300w PSU is enough.

I should have mentioned, I am running a RTX 2070 TI

So more like 900ish watts then. Still got plenty of room.

-アパゾ

I don't know how much wattage your AMD FX processor will draw, but I'm sure that no current single consumer CPU+ single consumer GPU system will need more than 650W, if you over clock or add SLI, no more than 1000W. And your specs aren't that high (these numbers are for an i9 and 2080Ti). So, yes 1300W is more than enough. Get that Phanteks power splitter. 

• 1 month later...
On 12/1/2019 at 11:51 AM, Aristotle2019 said:

I don't know how much wattage your AMD FX processor will draw, but I'm sure that no current single consumer CPU+ single consumer GPU system will need more than 650W, if you over clock or add SLI, no more than 1000W. And your specs aren't that high (these numbers are for an i9 and 2080Ti). So, yes 1300W is more than enough. Get that Phanteks power splitter. 

thank you for the info. I did some more digging on that splitter. Its max wattage threshold is lower than what I will need. I did find a PSU that supports two motherboards, however. given the consensus that You all have been kind enough to help with, I am going to snag that power supply