CPU Upgrade

I have a cyberpower pc that I bought from Best buy and have so far upgraded it by adding 8 more gb of RAM and replacing the AMD Radeon 570 to a XFX AMD Radeon 580 8gb. I don't know much about CPUs and have though of upgrading mine, it has a AMD Ryzen 3 2300X Processor and I want to upgrade it but I don't know what I should get? Or if I should even upgrade?

1 minute ago, Ragde.soirrab said:

I have a cyberpower pc that I bought from Best buy and have so far upgraded it by adding 8 more gb of RAM and replacing the AMD Radeon 570 to a XFX AMD Radeon 580 8gb. I don't know much about CPUs and have though of upgrading mine, it has a AMD Ryzen 3 2300X Processor and I want to upgrade it but I don't know what I should get? Or if I should even upgrade?

What motherboard do you have? A good option is a ryzen 5 3600. Also, upgrading from 570 to 580 doesn't make much sense, it's a 10% difference between them

That’s one lowball cpu.  Need to know the motherboard. It could be an a series with next to no VRM and a bigger chip could fry it.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

That’s one lowball cpu.  Need to know the motherboard. It could be an a series with next to no VRM and a bigger chip could fry it.

according to an image in the reviews the motherboard is a gigabyte a320m-s2h

Check the board and PSU first. For gaming you could probably take a GPU upgrade first though, but this time at least the RX 5700 or RTX 2060. Otherwise the gain wont be substantial enough to be good for years.

1 minute ago, Nathat23 said:

sometimes they come with different boards, but this is a bad sign

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Just now, Nathat23 said:

You read a review? Of the prebuilt.  A series huh? It’s iffy.  Look up a review for that particular board.  You might be able to go as high as a 3600 with no overclock.  Might.  Need to confirm it.

if it will work, you’ll want to update the firmware to the very newest stuff before you swap the cpu.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

On 11/29/2019 at 12:09 PM, boggy77 said:

What motherboard do you have? A good option is a ryzen 5 3600. Also, upgrading from 570 to 580 doesn't make much sense, it's a 10% difference between them

My bad, I meant a 2gb rx560. Thanks for the advice though, the Ryzen 5 3600 looks like a good option. 

On 11/29/2019 at 12:17 PM, Bombastinator said:

You read a review? Of the prebuilt.  A series huh? It’s iffy.  Look up a review for that particular board.  You might be able to go as high as a 3600 with no overclock.  Might.  Need to confirm it.

if it will work, you’ll want to update the firmware to the very newest stuff before you swap the cpu.

yeah i think ill go with the 3600. How would i update the firmware? I dont know much about this

On 11/29/2019 at 12:15 PM, Jurrunio said:

Check the board and PSU first. For gaming you could probably take a GPU upgrade first though, but this time at least the RX 5700 or RTX 2060. Otherwise the gain wont be substantial enough to be good for years.

sometimes they come with different boards, but this is a bad sign

yeah, ill upgrade the gpu later on since i just bought this one for black friday, thanks tho

2 hours ago, Ragde.soirrab said:

yeah i think ill go with the 3600. How would i update the firmware? I dont know much about this

Depends on the particular motherboard.  It ranges from nothing at all to scary if it comes with a 2300 to begin with though all you do is run the thing with the 2300 in it and update to the latest firmware and you’re done.  The thing is prebuilts often use the cheapest stuff that will possibly work.  If it comes with a 2300 it might be some low end a series motherboard that literally can’t handle anything faster.  You might be stuck with that 2300 unless you change out your motherboard to something with enough VRM to handle a bigger cpu.

what matters for CPU upgrading is the motherboard make and model.  

The 2300X ain't bad, about the fastest quad core Ryzen CPU, tied with the 3200G. Do you need more CPU performance? What is your performance target, and what games?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

15 hours ago, Fasauceome said:

The 2300X ain't bad, about the fastest quad core Ryzen CPU, tied with the 3200G. Do you need more CPU performance? What is your performance target, and what games?

yeah im looking for a more performance but also dont want to spend too much. I usually play games like destiny 2, gta 5, or beamNG.drive

On 11/29/2019 at 8:06 PM, Ragde.soirrab said:

What is your budget for a CPU? You could try and get yourself a Ryzen 5 3600 or 3700 if your budget allows it. But besides, a Ryzen 3 2300X still is a pretty good CPU. 

17 minutes ago, Skyie said:

What is your budget for a CPU? You could try and get yourself a Ryzen 5 3600 or 3700 if your budget allows it. But besides, a Ryzen 3 2300X still is a pretty good CPU. 

We still don’t know what the motherboard is.  

this is needed to find out what kind of cpu upgrade might be possible.
At this point with an unknown mobo it’s real possible that a CPU upgrade might require a mobo upgrade, so possibly add $65-$120 to whatever the CPU might cost. The 8 core 3xxx stuff also might need faster ram as well.