Ryzen 7 3700x and why users are saying it is so hot (fix)

So just thought I would leave this here for another user to find. I recently had some serious problems with heat with my Ryzen 7 3700x. I was using a ThermalTake 360mm AIO and hitting 86c when just using the Game Boost or the "Extreme Profile" with MSI Dragon Center and 56c at rest. This caused me to pause on my plans to overclock. However, I finally did and I found that when I did overclock manually the temps took a nose dive. Why? Well the default or [Auto] setting for voltage was WAY too high out of the box. It is my belief that multiple motherboard manufacturers are doing this though I don't know why. Simply dropping the voltage reduced temps by as much as 30c.

I am now successfully running 4.35Ghz all core OC with 1.37 volts and maxing out at 79c under full loading running Cinebench R20. With a score of 5009 to boot. Gaming has taken a HUGE step up increasing by as much as 30fps in Gears 5 (no joke, I went from 81fps in the benchmark to 111fps).

So, if you're running hot on a Ryzen 7 3700x or probably any Ryzen 3rd gen chip for that matter, check the factory set voltage of your motherboard!

Those kind of voltages are normal for zen 2. It's boost algorithm is very intelligent and will boost as high as it possibly can with out compromising reliability.

Another thing is your all core OC voltage is not safe and will degrade your CPU, if you want to run 1.37V go for it but you have been warned.

8700K @ 5.2ghz 1.29V, 4x8 Rev.E @ 4040 13-20-20-39 1.7V.

• 2 weeks later...

Well considering it was running at 4v before stock and idling at around 56c and now is running idle around 36c and stable, I cant really drop the voltage without killing the stability of the OC. Suggestions?

BTW it is for the most part done. Still need one more fan for the top.

Yes I realize that the glass is a bit smudged. I'll clean it next time I open it.

20191209_211655.jpg

20191209_212649.jpg

On 11/27/2019 at 3:18 PM, alatron978 said:

Those kind of voltages are normal for zen 2. It's boost algorithm is very intelligent and will boost as high as it possibly can with out compromising reliability.

Another thing is your all core OC voltage is not safe and will degrade your CPU, if you want to run 1.37V go for it but you have been warned.

Here is the stock non OC core voltage. 1.37v so why do you say I'm running too high?

20191209_213200.jpg

For instance, I just turned off my all core OC and went with stock MSI game boost, which is a much less aggressive OC @ 4.2ghz all core and it hit 81c running Cinibench R20. With my settings it hit 77c (these are updated from last time as I was only running at 4.33) max after hammering it for 45 min. I ran it twice with MSIs settings and hit 82c.

Even without a funky Bios issue like what you seem to have i have found the same so far as temps, but was more like 3C reduction under maximum load.  That said I wouldn't recommend going above 1.35V, ideally not more then 1.325V.  Your motherboards bios may try to force extreme voltages because somethings wrong with it, idling super high but none of the Ryzen 3000 were designed to run at like >1.35V+ constantly, only boost up to above that briefly in stock configuration where then cores if need be swap priority, cool down, take load off eachother etc

If you have a x570 or any board that offers a BIOS update with AGESA 1.0.0.4B try updating to that, it should boost just as hard as your overclocks, without the extreme temps your current BIOS is causing, and with safer voltages at low load and idle then running a all-core OC constantly, especially one set as high as 1.37

1 minute ago, Otto_iii said:

Even without a funky Bios issue like what you seem to have i have found the same so far as temps, but was more like 3C reduction under load.  That said I wouldn't recommend going above 1.35V, ideally no more then 1.325V.  Your motherboards bios may try to force extreme voltages because somethings wrong with it, idling super high but none of the Ryzen 3000 were designed to run at like 1.325-1.35V+ sustained, only boost up to above that briefly in stock configuration where then cores swap priority, cool down, take load off eachother.

If you have a x570 or any board that offers a BIOS update with AGESA 1.0.0.4B try updating to that, it should boost just as hard as your overclocks, without the extreme temps your current BIOS is causing, and with safer voltages at low load and idle then running a all-core OC constantly, especially one set as high as 1.37

Well I updated the BIOS when I got it because I could not run RAID 0 on my nvme drives and overclock with the existing bios the update fixed that but I will check to see if there was another update.

Just now, AcesHidden said:

Well I updated the BIOS when I got it because I could not run RAID 0 on my nvme drives and overclock with the existing bios the update fixed that but I will check to see if there was another update.

BTW running MSI Carbon Pro Wifi X570 MB

you might already have, it should state in bios which version you have, 7B93v14 onward (currently on 7B93v15) are 1.0.0.4B
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/MPG-X570-GAMING-PRO-CARBON-WIFI

If you already have one of those check these settings in BIOS, they were originally highlighted by 1usmus for his powerplan (i tried it, official Ryzen chipset seemed to work better for me), but in a interview AMD's own Robert Hallock commented that these settings are exactly what he recommends trying if there is a thermal or power usage issue, which often result in problems like what you have.

If you can't find them don't worry about them, but if you see any of these options in these folder set them as shown below
image.png.77472fda515330bbb15dcbf258e58ae8.png

3 minutes ago, Otto_iii said:

you might already have, it should state in bios which version you have, 7B93v14 onward (currently on 7B93v15) are 1.0.0.4B

If you already have one of those check these settings in BIOS, they were originally highlighted by 1usmus for his powerplan (i tried it, official Ryzen chipset seemed to work better for me), but in a interview AMD's own Robert Hallock commented that these settings are exactly what he recommends trying if there is a thermal or power usage issue, which often result in problems like what you have.

If you can't find them don't worry about them, but if you see any of these options in these folder set them as shown below

Thank you sir. I will check in the morning. Long day at work, then cable mod cables, now dead. Lol.

PBO is also another culprit.  It does nothing appreciable except increase the power draw by 30-50w for no performance gain.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

21 hours ago, Otto_iii said:

Okay, done I will see what the performance is like now. I don't want to give up too much. If a chip lasts me a year but kicks ass for that year I'm cool with that. I'll buy another.

22 hours ago, Otto_iii said:

Okay, so now my temps are great but I lost 1000 points on Cinebench R20 and my chip doesn't boost at all. Simply sits at 3.6ghz all core and doesn't budge.

1 hour ago, AcesHidden said:

Okay, so now my temps are great but I lost 1000 points on Cinebench R20 and my chip doesn't boost at all. Simply sits at 3.6ghz all core and doesn't budge.

okay cool, see what you can get with 1.325v, if it somehow isn't enough for you try 1.35

Easiest stability test is using Ryzen Master + Cinebench R20, and just getting multiple (like 10+) runs while cpu is hot, once you got that number, if its enough for your liking apply it in BIOS

If need be you could run higher voltages, if you do choose to do this and you have a issue within a year, please report on it, or likewise if you somehow still have this CPU in 2+ years and its working fine at 1.37v then advertise that fact.  Official butt gangsters stated 1.325v was highest safe but likely there is some wiggle room, who knows this early on with Ryzen 3000, most stable OC recommendations have years behind them. 

regardless see if 1.325 or 1.35 give you close or basically same OC, worse case we all learn something

So the only way I was able to get my CPU to act normal (you know a variable clock speed) was downloading Ryzen Master after a bios (almost full reset as I'm running raid) and enabling PBO. Doing it through the bios was just not working properly. I can get 4.35 all core @ 1.35v using AMD overclocking however in the bios. The MSI game boost is a joke. Simply a 4.2ghz all core OC, auto OC in Ryzen Master is pretty good as well. I just don't think Windows was properly listening to some of the BIOS settings or something. Weird.

24 minutes ago, AcesHidden said:

I just done think Windows was properly listening to some of the BIOS settings or something. Weird.

Can't report on your board, but yeah, if you cant find a working setting for Ryzen 3000 (in this case with all-core OC), it may be different then others with different motherboard or bios, but if it works no worries. Most recent chipset is always good idea, i didn't have too much issue with my board but it still made a good difference in regards to everything functioning properly. 

23 minutes ago, Otto_iii said:

Can't report on your board, but yeah, if you cant find a working setting for Ryzen 3000 (in this case with all-core OC), it may be different then others with different motherboard or bios, but if it works no worries. Most recent chipset is always good idea, i didn't have too much issue with my board but it still made a good difference in regards to everything functioning properly. 

Yeah, I did have to unset the settings you shared though as for some very weird reason it couldn't keep up with my mouse! O_O it started intermittently stalling and jumping. One of those settings or the combo just kills the USB somehow. (Wireless mouse)

I do still see AMD Ryzen Master pumping 1.4v+ (not constant though) to individual processors. I'm starting to wonder if AMD actually changed the specs. I mean if MOBO manufacturers are setting them up this way and even with AMDs own software doing it, it can't be that bad o_O. I know it isn't totally constant but...

7 minutes ago, Otto_iii said:

Sorry to hear that, wish more motherboard vendors would get their act together regarding AM4, this stuff shouldn't happen. 

^ this * 1000

I should have been able to accept the factory settings on the motherboard and had the chip boost without having to change any settings. The fact that the chip was stuck at its base clock without turning on PBO through Ryzen Master is a bit of a joke. I've been developing software professionally over 20 years and played with Hardware off and on during that time and I have never had a pain in the ass setup as bad as this just getting something to work the way that it should out of the box. I can't help but to think of all the people that would be just capable enough to put a computer together and then just let it sit there at the factory settings of a 3.6 gigahertz base clock.

Sorry for all the edits in advance doing this from a phone and voice-to-text is nowhere close to where it needs to be. ?

My main hope is just that since AMD products are being taken seriously, being bought in droves rather then as a curiosity, or for budget builders, Motherboard makers will actually get there crap together regarding them, i think its likely this will happen but until then some of us will have to deal with crap like what you did