M.2 ssds overheating

idkwhatimevendoin

if i install my most played games on an m.2 nvme (100gb partition for windows, and 800gb partition for storgae) will it overheat?

1 minute ago, RollinLower said:

probably not. gaming isn't a very intensive load on your storage.

if you are worried about overheating tough, you could always get an aftermarket heatsink?

yeah, seems like a hassle. might just get the m.2 for windows, and store my games on the hdd

1 minute ago, TheGlenlivet said:

You won't overheat an M.2 playing games.

Moving 4K video files from drive to drive or benchmarking over and over will slow the drive due to heat, but gaming shouldn't be a concern.

Thank you!

7 minutes ago, TheGlenlivet said:

You won't overheat an M.2 playing games.

Moving 4K video files from drive to drive or benchmarking over and over will slow the drive due to heat, but gaming shouldn't be a concern.

and even if you overhead the drive, it will trottle after a certain temp and slow down a bit(you may not even notice). The drive won't just die if it gets too hot.

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

and even if you overhead the drive, it will trottle after a certain temp and slow down a bit(you may not even notice). The drive won't just die if it gets too hot.

sorry if this is irrelevant to the post, but is the sabrent rocket a good choice theres an offer that ends in 7 hours lol

Don't parition your drive like that if you don't plan on dual booting. Just partition it once during Windows installation and then just install your games once Windows is done. You will not overheat your drive, however M.2 drives that are PCIe Gen 4 do get hot, but they usually come with a heatsink (some of them anyway).

I don't know anything about the Sabrent Rocket, so I can't comment on it. However Samsung, Seagate, Western Digital, Crucial, and Intel all make very good SSDs and you can't go wrong with either of those brands.

1 minute ago, TempestCatto said:

Don't parition your drive like that if you don't plan on dual booting. Just partition it once during Windows installation and then just install your games once Windows is done. You will not overheat your drive, however M.2 drives that are PCIe Gen 4 do get hot, but they usually come with a heatsink (some of them anyway).

I don't know anything about the Sabrent Rocket, so I can't comment on it. However Samsung, Seagate, Western Digital, Crucial, and Intel all make very good SSDs and you can't go wrong with either of those brands.

so dont partition it just install windows on the entire drive right?

1 minute ago, mhdshoukry said:

so dont partition it just install windows on the entire drive right?

Yes, just create one big partition of the whole drive. Windows will make one or two really small partitions for itself, which is normal. You'll install Windows on the biggest one, and then you're off to the races.

No, you are just fine!

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

17 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

Yes, just create one big partition of the whole drive. Windows will make one or two really small partitions for itself, which is normal. You'll install Windows on the biggest one, and then you're off to the races.

is there any specific reason putting windows on the entire drive will benefit me? I feel like it would be more organized if I make a big partition for the stuff im gonna put on the m.2, and a small partition for windows

10 hours ago, mhdshoukry said:

is there any specific reason putting windows on the entire drive will benefit me? I feel like it would be more organized if I make a big partition for the stuff im gonna put on the m.2, and a small partition for windows

There's just simply no point. If you want more than one drive, get more than one drive. When installing software, like games for example, it's still the same physical drive. It also is just easier when installing and using software. There was a time, back in the days of XP and beyond, where this was normal. And quite frankly, I still don't understand why.

7 hours ago, TempestCatto said:

There's just simply no point. If you want more than one drive, get more than one drive. When installing software, like games for example, it's still the same physical drive. It also is just easier when installing and using software. There was a time, back in the days of XP and beyond, where this was normal. And quite frankly, I still don't understand why.

yea i guess it makes sense to just put my most played games with c drive lol. thx