Psu requirements for ryzen 5 3600 and 1660 super

XenonRxd
Go to solution Solved by Vejnemojnen,

@sphbecker

:) please check it again. Use the PSU calculator in my sig.

I calculated with a 1070, as there was no 1660Super in the database. With 5 fans, 3 SATA drives, 3600 and a 1070 card, I got 298watts max consumption, therefore, a 450w will suffice.

If I consider, that 1660Su even needs less power, I'd guess his total system power consumption will be around 270 watts. With overclock, perhaps another 40-50. A 450w unit (whisper M, Formula Gold, Straight Power...) should handle that thing even with OC. Of course one can always oversize the PSU, but, he shall be fine with 450watts, without any issues. Worth getting a bigger unit, if the costs are not significantly higher.

The outervision calculator should be banned. 

I am going to build a pc with ryzen 5 3500,1660 super,8x2 ram 2 hdd 1ssd and 5 fans...now i already have cooler master b500v2 80+ psu...is it enough for this or i need to upgrade?

just checked, it's a CWT GPM, a platform a bit wider used than just CM

because of it being group regulation, i would highly recommend to replace if you can

500 watts is probably fine, but 550 or 600 gives you more headroom. Seeing that you already have the PSU, I would give it a try.

If you buy new, look for 80+ Bronze. The basic 80+ cert is pretty relaxed and typically means it is a low-end PSU.

12 hours ago, sphbecker said:

500 watts is probably fine, but 550 or 600 gives you more headroom. Seeing that you already have the PSU, I would give it a try.

If you buy new, look for 80+ Bronze. The basic 80+ cert is pretty relaxed and typically means it is a low-end PSU.

Can you tell me which one is better cx 650 or corsair veangence 650 silver?

5 hours ago, XenonRxd said:

Can you tell me which one is better cx 650 or corsair veangence 650 silver?

vengeance silver

Even 450w is more than enough... There would be enough room for OC-ing with a good 450w unit

Life is really challenging. I don't always suceed: )

1 hour ago, Vejnemojnen said:

Even 450w is more than enough... There would be enough room for OC-ing with a good 450w unit

Not sure if you considered his hard drives or 5 fans, but that setup needs about 380 watts, so once you factor in a healthy PSU buffer, 450 would be the minimum and leave very little headroom. 450 is fine if you are sure you will never add additional hardware or overclock. You don't want to push a PSU to its limit (especially not a cheap one). For this setup I stand by my 500 watt suggestion.

@sphbecker

I calculated with a 1070, as there was no 1660Super in the database. With 5 fans, 3 SATA drives, 3600 and a 1070 card, I got 298watts max consumption, therefore, a 450w will suffice.

If I consider, that 1660Su even needs less power, I'd guess his total system power consumption will be around 270 watts. With overclock, perhaps another 40-50. A 450w unit (whisper M, Formula Gold, Straight Power...) should handle that thing even with OC. Of course one can always oversize the PSU, but, he shall be fine with 450watts, without any issues. Worth getting a bigger unit, if the costs are not significantly higher.

Life is really challenging. I don't always suceed: )

29 minutes ago, Vejnemojnen said:

@sphbecker

Maybe I was using a bad calculator. The 1660 Ti is probably a closer pick for the GPU (that is what I did), but I agree that either will use less than a 1070.

2 hours ago, Vejnemojnen said:

it's just that outervision has some... odd factors marked in

like cap degredation

and it likes to recommend some... odd choices sometimes

anyways, derail over

Thank you guys i will stick with the 500w for now will upgrade later if i decide to upgrade gpu