200$ Upgrade Suggestions from M40X?

Tarun10

I have been using my M40X with Brainwavz angled earpads for about 1.5 years and I would like worthwhile upgrade recommendations around 200$.

I watch a lot of stuff that probably doesn't have very high quality audio like on YouTube but I listen to a lot of music. I mostly listen to rock and metal with bits of other genres thrown in. I really like the neutral sound of the M40X and these days, speakers with poor quality annoy me.

I wouldn't mind something not as neutral but I don't like sharp trebles especially when it overpowers the mids and the high-bass. I would prefer it if the mids aren't suppressed and if the bass isn't muddy. Better comfortand soundstage than the M40X is also a must. How much of a step up in fidelity can I expect from my current setup considering I don't use the highest quality source files (Spotify on Very High)?

I live in India and the ceiling fans here are pretty loud and my family members don't appreciate me cranking Metallica or AC/DC, so I think I'll stick with closed back. But I have heard a lot about some open back heaphones like the HD6XX and I would love to know how much of the external environment I would be able to hear and how loud I can go without disrupting people around me?

I would prefer a pair that are easy to drive but if I they go decently loud without an amp and I can unlock their full potential with a decent amp a little down the line I'm up for it.

A dac/amp (fulla 2 is like 70$ rn) + the HE-4XX seem like a good combo. The 6XXs are also great, I like the sound of them. They're not too loud, in a room with people talking and normal volume on them I can't hear them unless I press my ears agains the back. However, you can hear everything.

1 minute ago, Firewrath9 said:

A dac/amp (fulla 2 is like 70$ rn) + the HE-4XX seem like a good combo. The 6XXs are also great, I like the sound of them. They're not too loud, in a room with people talking and normal volume on them I can't hear them unless I press my ears agains the back. However, you can hear everything.

I live in India and I can't try out most of these headphones. Do open backs have a much better sound stage? I forgot to mention this but I mostly use a laptop so a small DAC/amp is preferred and the ability to use the headphones with my phone would be nice. How much of a jump up are the HE-4XX from the M40X? I know it's tough to put in words.

5 hours ago, Tarun10 said:

I live in India and I can't try out most of these headphones. Do open backs have a much better sound stage? I forgot to mention this but I mostly use a laptop so a small DAC/amp is preferred and the ability to use the headphones with my phone would be nice. How much of a jump up are the HE-4XX from the M40X? I know it's tough to put in words.

Massive jump. The bass is godly on the He-400 and so are the vocals. The M40x has meh bass and meh vocals. 

42 minutes ago, kokakolia said:

Massive jump. The bass is godly on the He-400 and so are the vocals. The M40x has meh bass and meh vocals. 

You have any other recommendations for closed or open back? Is the DT series better value or the HE-4XX? What about AKG K series? And what about 4XX vs HD58X??

12 minutes ago, Tarun10 said:

You have any other recommendations for closed or open back? Is the DT series better value or the HE-4XX? What about AKG K series? And what about 4XX vs HD58X??

It all comes down to preference. I wouldn’t even touch a Beyerdynamic with a 10-foot pole. The highs are too much. 

Open back headphones just lack the bass slam to be at the very least enjoyable (unless planar magnetic). 

The HiFiman is for me the de facto choice and the easiest to recommend. They are by far the most fun. 

3 minutes ago, kokakolia said:

It all comes down to preference. I wouldn’t even touch a Beyerdynamic with a 10-foot pole. The highs are too much. 

Open back headphones just lack the bass slam to be at the very least enjoyable (unless planar magnetic). 

The HiFiman is for me the de facto choice and the easiest to recommend. They are by far the most fun. 

I've heard the highs are harsh on those, are they much harsher than the M50X? I'm leaning towards Sennheiser and HifiMan now. I should probably read reviews but do the HE-4XX trade blows with the HD-6XX despite their cheaper price and if you listen to rock, how do they sound on them?

For the massdrop cans the 58x would be the pick but the 4xx are good but not as neutral. The 58x is the smoother headphone. For closed back maybe the akg k371 or akg k 553 mk2 

Just now, rice guru said:

For the massdrop cans the 58x would be the pick but the 4xx are good but not as neutral. The 58x is the smoother headphone. For closed back maybe the akg k371 or akg k 553 mk2 

I want a bit more color and clarity in the bass and trebles than my M40X. Which frequencies do the 4XX emphasize? In terms of pure sound fidelity which of the above four would you recommend? I know DT770s area little shrill but how about fidelity?

35 minutes ago, Tarun10 said:

I want a bit more color and clarity in the bass and trebles than my M40X. Which frequencies do the 4XX emphasize? In terms of pure sound fidelity which of the above four would you recommend? I know DT770s area little shrill but how about fidelity?

The He-400 emphasizes the bass and highs. For rock music the DT770 wouldn’t be good. There’s a dip in the mids and highs are too harsh and annoying for rock. The He-400 is fantastic for rock though. It just shines on very fast prog metal. The bass is so fast. And forget about the Sennheiser. They just don’t have the bass to make rock sound fun. 

28 minutes ago, Tarun10 said:

The 4xx have good clean which bass with good extention to the subbass but doesn't have too much midbass to make room for very intimate present mids. The highs are clear and clean depending on the song I find a bit peaky but not too much that at all offends me. The 770 is great lots of bass really good highs it's like Beyer say the m50 saw what was wrong with it and made a very competent pair of headphones instead. The highs can be too much for treble sensitive but due to the wide sound signature for a closed back there is actual air or room for the treble to sparkle instead of screaminf details directly into your ear. But I would not exactly call it a neutral headphone thus I didn't reccomend it here

1 minute ago, kokakolia said:

The He-400 emphasizes the bass and highs. For rock music the DT770 wouldn’t be good. There’s a dip in the mids and highs are too harsh and annoying for rock. The He-400 is fantastic for rock though. And forget about the Sennheiser. They just don’t have the bass to make rock sound fun. 

I say the 58x definitely do. Have the bass to make it somewhat fun but they do have the mids to make it great and engaging.the thing I like about it is if your into alternative rock or indie something lo fi like the velvet underground it is a really forgiving headphone and won't make it sound awful the 4xx can be pretty forgiving but not as smooth as the 58x. But for percussion or things that are acoustic I do find myself reaching for the hifimams more they have a really good house sound that really compliments guitar and percussion tracks

I really like the idea of the HE-4XX and it's at a great price. I like rock pretty good enough even on my M40X and find the bass to be sufficient but a little muddy. I am probably gonna stay away from BeyerDynamic for now. So the HD58X and HE4XX differ mostly only on sound signature? What about comfort? Also, does the HE-4XX need an amp and could you recommend something around 50$? How neutral are the AKGs?

@rice guru @kokakolia

5 minutes ago, Tarun10 said:

I really like the idea of the HE-4XX and it's at a great price. I like rock pretty good enough even on my M40X and find the bass to be sufficient but a little muddy. I am probably gonna stay away from BeyerDynamic for now. So the HD58X and HE4XX differ mostly only on sound signature? What about comfort? Also, does the HE-4XX need an amp and could you recommend something around 50$? How neutral are the AKGs?

No $50 is going to power the 4xx well unfortunately. And the 58x differs a lot as it images differt as well as it has a narrower more intimate sound stage.the akgs are what is considered Harman target neutral. It's a unique sound signature and people are pretty split if they like it or not I personally enjoy the Harman trmarget but for many it's not their.cup of tea. 

7 minutes ago, rice guru said:

No $50 is going to power the 4xx well unfortunately. And the 58x differs a lot as it images differtlt and has a narrower more intimate sound stage.the akgs are what is considered Harman target neutral. It's a unique sound signature and people are pretty split if they like it or not I personally enjoy the Harman trmarget but for many it's not their.cup of tea. 

Some one recommended the Fulla 2. I know Schiit is pretty good. Any other budget options I can expect on sale soon?

1 minute ago, Tarun10 said:

Some one recommended the Fulla 2. I know Schiit is pretty good. Any other budget options I can expect on sale soon?

If you live in India pay attention to the fiio k5 pro imo much more worth the money than the schiit fulla . 

3 minutes ago, rice guru said:

If you live in India pay attention to the fiio k5 pro imo much more worth the money than the schiit fulla . 

In terms of straight up clarity and fidelity across the spectrum and a more natural sound and comfort which would you recommend between the 4XX and 58X? Would you recommend I upgrade now or save up more for 6XX and 300$ price range?

I live in India but I know someone who can get me the gear form USA or I wouldn't be upgrading. I paid close to 150$ for my M40X when the INR was stronger

2 minutes ago, Tarun10 said:

In terms of straight up clarity and fidelity across the spectrum and a more natural sound and comfort which would you recommend between the 4XX and 58X? Would you recommend I upgrade now or save up more for 6XX and 300$ price range?

I live in India but I know someone who can get me the gear form USA or I wouldn't be upgrading. I paid close to 150$ for my M40X when the INR was stronger

I would say the 58x it doesn't win in the fun factor but in terms of drivability and overall fidelity as well as neutrality nthe 58x definitely is the way to go. It's to me the perfect easy to drive all rounder headphone. 

4 minutes ago, rice guru said:

I would say the 58x it doesn't win in the fun factor but in terms of drivability and overall fidelity as well as neutrality nthe 58x definitely is the way to go. It's to me the perfect easy to drive all rounder headphone. 

You are making this really tough for me. Maybe I should see if there are any audiophile events in my city and see if I can listen to both of them, even if I miss black friday. How about in terms of comfort especially clamping force? I wear glasses.

4 minutes ago, Tarun10 said:

You are making this really tough for me. Maybe I should see if there are any audiophile events in my city and see if I can listen to both of them, even if I miss black friday. How about in terms of comfort especially clamping force? I wear glasses.

I also wear glasses initially the 58x are tight and clamp a lot of but get better with use now they are very comfy also super light and doesn't get too warm. The 4xx are immediately comfortable but gets warm easily and also pretty heavy.

And build the 58x has slightly cheaper feeling build but i don't see anyone breaking them except if they were abusing them . And the 4xx has some build quality concerns if you look at the massdrop discussion a you will see what I mean but so far so good on my end.but it  feels solid in the hand

4 minutes ago, rice guru said:

And build the 58x has slightly cheaper feeling build but i don't see anyone breaking them except if they were abusing them . And the 4xx has some build quality concerns if you look at the massdrop discussion a you will see what I mean but so far so good on my end.but it  feels solid in the hand

In US, what would be your cheapest recommendation for an amp that could power the HE-4XX?

2 hours ago, Tarun10 said:

In US, what would be your cheapest recommendation for an amp that could power the HE-4XX?

Fiio k5 pro. If you need a dac/amp . But just a dedicated amp a JD's labs atom or monoprice liquid spark. There is the fx audio dac x6 which is powerful enough but the output impedance is waaaaay too high for the he 4xx to accept