Looking for school/uni laptop with touch (500-1000€)

Hi everyone,

as I've already said in the title, I'm currently looking for a new laptop (more like my first, actually) for around 500-1000€, but I'd be willing to go higher, if it's a superb machine and/or heavily discounted. I will be used as a daily driver, without heavy gaming or content creation/editing in mind, so mostly for media consumption and office productivity. It should hold for a couple of years, I'm not planning to upgrade soon after. Concerning specs I'm already pretty sure what they should be, but I have a hard time actually deciding on something, maybe you have some tips or recommendations.

Preferred specs:

- 2nd/3rd gen Ryzen 5 CPU (I like the added value of the Vega iGPU)

- 8 GB RAM

- no discrete GPU (not worth the battery life loss and cost to me)

- 1080p display w/ touch (2-in-1 as well, but no detachables)

- 256+ GB SSD

- of course lighter is better

- no I/O preferences

Thanks in advance!

If you're OK with no 2-in-1 or no Ryzen (pick one you don't have), a Thinkpad X395 is great.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

5 minutes ago, Frizzer107 said:

I'm currently looking for a new laptop

what exactly are you taking in school

because a basket weaving course is different then say a multi-media course

(going for the extreme ends of the spectrum, but you get the idea. basket weaving is a generic term for a course that involves little work, and it increases your overall grade score. things like cooking, or knitting, sports)

8 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

If you're OK with no 2-in-1 or no Ryzen (pick one you don't have), a Thinkpad X395 is great.

Looks pretty good, although I don't really like their touchpad layout (especially the button positioning)

5 minutes ago, Frizzer107 said:

Looks pretty good, although I don't really like their touchpad layout (especially the button positioning)

It's still a clickpad. Good luck finding a modern laptop with dedicated click buttons below the trackpad.

Also, trust me, once you use the Trackpoint for a few days or weeks chances are you'll fall in love with it.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

16 minutes ago, amdorintel said:

what exactly are you taking in school

because a basket weaving course is different then say a multi-media course

(going for the extreme ends of the spectrum, but you get the idea. basket weaving is a generic term for a course that involves little work, and it increases your overall grade score. things like cooking, or knitting, sports)

Thanks, I updated the original post (TL;DR: not quite basket weaving, but pretty close)