HELP ryzen 2600 vega 56 crashesunder gpu load

rainbrodash666

solved WE PUT IN AN ASUS B450F MOTHERBOARD AND HAD NO PROBLEM SINCE.

helping my friend troubleshoot his build, HIS BUILD (system A) ryzen 2600, msi b450 pro, corsair vengeance lpx ram 16gb, power color red dragon vega 56, ssamsung ssd, coolermaster liquid cooler. corsair cx 750m psu.this crashes when you do something gpu intensive or launch a synthetic stress test (occt) for gpu. or shoot the water in fo4 usuialy does it too.

trouble shooting efforts:

known good (system B) ryzen 1800x, asus strixxx b350-f , team group 3000mhz 16gb memory, asus r9 290, samsung ssd, corsair liquid cooler, cooler master v1200 platinum

swapping ram from  system b into a had no effect worse if anything

moving gpu from top x16 slot to middle 8x slot on system a made it take longer to crash

moving R9 290 from system B into system A seems to make ssystem A stable

testing vega 56 from system A in system B proves stable.

any ideas? see if the problem follows a cpu swap maybe>?

we already sent the motherboard to msi once for this and it was better right after we got it back. but...

solved WE PUT IN AN ASUS MOTHERBOARD AND HAD NO PROBLEM SINCE.

Spoiler

AMD R7 1800X, H100i GTX, AMD Radeon RED DEVIL 5700XT, ASUS STRIX B350-F GAMING, 16gb DDR4 3000, 1Tb, 2 X SEAGATE 1Tb, Coolermaster V1200 Platinum, NZXT H440 red/black, STEEL SERIES AEROX 3, DUCKY X POWER COLOR RED DEVIL KEYBOARD, Microsoft xbox 360 wired controller, LG ULTRAWIDE.

Have you tried uninstalling your display drivers using DDU, and updating the BIOS on your board to the newest rev?

bios is up to date, and no, forgot to try ddu, be right back.

Spoiler

AMD R7 1800X, H100i GTX, AMD Radeon RED DEVIL 5700XT, ASUS STRIX B350-F GAMING, 16gb DDR4 3000, 1Tb, 2 X SEAGATE 1Tb, Coolermaster V1200 Platinum, NZXT H440 red/black, STEEL SERIES AEROX 3, DUCKY X POWER COLOR RED DEVIL KEYBOARD, Microsoft xbox 360 wired controller, LG ULTRAWIDE.

28 minutes ago, Ehmc130 said:

Have you tried uninstalling your display drivers using DDU, and updating the BIOS on your board to the newest rev?

ok, did ddu and it no longer instantly crashes on benchmarks/ stress test but it still crashes in game, and im ralking about crash like someone hit the restart button. 

Spoiler

Just now, rainbrodash666 said:

ok, did ddu and it no longer instantly crashes on benchmarks/ stress test but it still crashes in game, and im ralking about crash like someone hit the restart button. 

Update your BIOS as well.

26 minutes ago, Ehmc130 said:

trying, says bios file not located, its the only file on the selected drive, also noticed it says its a b450 gaming or something like that in part of the bios, but it definitely says "B450-A pro" by the pcie slot. 

Spoiler

8 minutes ago, rainbrodash666 said:

trying, says bios file not located, its the only file on the selected drive, also noticed it says its a b450 gaming or something like that in part of the bios, but it definitely says "B450-A pro" by the pcie slot. 

for anyone in the future having this problem it has to be a fat 32 format thumb drive not ntfs. 

Spoiler

59 minutes ago, Ehmc130 said:

so its saying my bios file does not exist, even after formatting to fat32 instead of ntfs. also tried multiple bios versions.

Spoiler

10 minutes ago, rainbrodash666 said:

so its saying my bios file does not exist, even after formatting to fat32 instead of ntfs. also tried multiple bios versions.

This is where you are looking for your BIOS rev, correct?

13 minutes ago, Ehmc130 said:

This is where you are looking for your BIOS rev, correct?

yes. also tried on a 1gb and 16gb and 32gb flash drive. 

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, rainbrodash666 said:

yes. also tried on a 1gb and 16gb and 32gb flash drive. 

So the flash drive shows up in the BIOS to begin the update but no file is found?

1 minute ago, Ehmc130 said:

So the flash drive shows up in the BIOS to begin the update but no file is found?

yep, it gives a different message if there is no media found. tried with the 3 most recent bios. the bios being the only file AND with the txt file how msi video says, neither works. 

Spoiler

As long as you're doing the following then it should work:

When you format the drive to Fat32 make sure it's NOT a quick format. 

23 minutes ago, Ehmc130 said:

As long as you're doing the following then it should work:

When you format the drive to Fat32 make sure it's NOT a quick format. 

exactly as im doing and no luck. 

Spoiler

You've tried multiple USB ports I'm assuming? On a side note there's a spelling mistake in your member title, it should be totally not totaly. 

8 minutes ago, Ehmc130 said:

You've tried multiple USB ports I'm assuming? On a side note there's a spelling mistake in your member title, it should be totally not totaly. 

that has been there for years omfg and yes also. 

Spoiler

so I also wanted to test the psu so I setup my old FX9590 and crosshair v formula z with 8gb of ram with the RXvega 56 and it worked fine under load which im assuming is way more stress than a ryzen 5 puts on the psu. 

and I also swapped my r7 1800x for his r5 2600 and it also crashes in the msi board. 

this I so confusing I hate it. it seems like the gpu works fine in my asus products but hates this msi board. so do I fault the gpu or the board when my asus 290 gpu's work fine in all the boards around. 

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

On 11/21/2019 at 5:33 PM, Ehmc130 said:

Spoiler

Socket AM4 MSI boards aren't the best. You've tested the card in another system and it worked. You attempted to flash the boards BIOS multiple times and it failed, just RMA the board.   

1 hour ago, Ehmc130 said:

Socket AM4 MSI boards aren't the best. You've tested the card in another system and it worked. You attempted to flash the boards BIOS multiple times and it failed, just RMA the board.   

yeah, i just threw my board into the system and it seems stable only difference is the asus b350 board.

Spoiler

Oh man, I had this issue too when updating the BIOS on my MSI motherboard 

-------  I don't recall how I did it finally 100% but  --------

You need to click on the file where you stored the BIOS while in flash BIOS mode, back out and then select the other option (file or directory) that's when it suddenly detected the new BIOS and the update worked fine too... 

Also I'm pretty sure my USB was formatted NTFS,  I don't think it matters. 

And I'm sorry I'm aware my description is lacking a lot,  but hopefully you'll know what I mean,  you should if your BIOS flash mode is anything similar to mine lol.

It was an absolute PITA haha,  but yeah, it eventually worked - by selecting the *wrong*  file / directory on the USB stick! 

6 hours ago, Ehmc130 said:

Not against what you're saying,  but,  it does seem to be a bug within the MSI BIOS flashing tool - I eventually got it to work (see above) 

EDIT:

Unfortunately I don't have a pic of exactly what would be needed,  but it's right before this screen, you have to select the *wrong* or apparently empty directory on the USB 

DSC_2979.thumb.JPG.87aea17df634847f2706f31a6a501a31.JPG

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

3 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

Not against what you're saying,  but,  it does seem to be a bug within the MSI BIOS flashing tool - I eventually got it to work (see above) 

I mean if the board is fine but the BIOS utility is trash OP could just contact MSI to see if they have a viable workaround.

18 minutes ago, Ehmc130 said:

I mean if the board is fine but the BIOS utility is trash OP could just contact MSI to see if they have a viable workaround.

I kinda doubt they are aware of this bug,  but yeah trying couldn't hurt! 

I mean - I didn't explain it well as I don't recall it exactly anymore but if OP posts screens of this setting where you chose the BIOS it'd be fixed in 5 minutes lol.

Like I said,  you basically only need to choose the *wrong* file path / directory. 

It's also important to put only the BIOS folder onto the USB root after extracting it, without doing any changes to the structure, no other files / folders must be present either. 

Sounds definitely more complicated than it is (or should be lol)

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 11/23/2019 at 6:17 AM, Mark Kaine said:

I kinda doubt they are aware of this bug,  but yeah trying couldn't hurt! 

I mean - I didn't explain it well as I don't recall it exactly anymore but if OP posts screens of this setting where you chose the BIOS it'd be fixed in 5 minutes lol.

Like I said,  you basically only need to choose the *wrong* file path / directory. 

It's also important to put only the BIOS folder onto the USB root after extracting it, without doing any changes to the structure, no other files / folders must be present either. 

Sounds definitely more complicated than it is (or should be lol)

mine never gets that far, it brings up a place to choose the storage media the file is on then it says "BIOS FILE DOES NOT EXIST press any key to reboot" or something to that effect.

also I have the board packed up to be sent back to msi.

all of the components work fine together in my strix b350-f AND his 750 watt psu has no trouble pushing the loaner FXX9590 8gb of ram and crosshair v formula z the vega while we wait.

Spoiler