780ti and a AMD gpu in the same machine?

Jhewett95
Go to solution Solved by Cosmos_i7,

Okay, so i built a system with the intent of having one SSD as a boot drive for windows, and the other for a mystery operating system that i was going to research, and i came across OSX mavericks, which won my decision as a no BS OS, i had debian wheezy on the other SSD for a while and after trying to fix many things such as the resolution as well as other things. So i already have a 780ti in my machine playing nicely with windows 8.1, however I have read posts around the interwebs that the 780ti doesn't exactly work with opencl, which is clearly a big issue when it comes to OSX. I saw a linus video the other day where the PC had 2 780ti in SLI and 2 290X in crossfire. 

Would it be worth getting an AMD card?

Would i be able to set it to turn on when OSX is booted, but not when windows 8 is booted and vice versa with the 780ti?

If so, i was thinking a 270X, is that a good choice.

Please only reply if you know what you're talking about, i know im only a rookie in the forums but i have got so many answers on my threads that tell me what i already know, and then i just end up searching it anyway.

Much appreciated.

AMD cards don't really work that well in OSX, you're better off using an Nvidia card, but the 780, 780ti and Titan don't support it in 10.9 Mavericks. You could always play it safe an run 10.8 Mountain Lion, there isn't that much difference. The 780ti will support OpenCL only in 10.8 Mountain lion not 10.9 Mavericks. 

Don't buy an AMD card for OSX as it will most likely not work if at all and use 10.8 for opencl. 

Okay, so i built a system with the intent of having one SSD as a boot drive for windows, and the other for a mystery operating system that i was going to research, and i came across OSX mavericks, which won my decision as a no BS OS, i had debian wheezy on the other SSD for a while and after trying to fix many things such as the resolution as well as other things. So i already have a 780ti in my machine playing nicely with windows 8.1, however I have read posts around the interwebs that the 780ti doesn't exactly work with opencl, which is clearly a big issue when it comes to OSX. I saw a linus video the other day where the PC had 2 780ti in SLI and 2 290X in crossfire. 

Would i be able to set it to turn on when OSX is booted, but not when windows 8 is booted and vice versa with the 780ti?

Please only reply if you know what you're talking about, i know im only a rookie in the forums but i have got so many answers on my threads that tell me what i already know, and then i just end up searching it anyway.

Much appreciated.

Do you really need OpenCL?

For OSX i have been lead to believe so.My apologies for the bluntness of this, but did i not say to only comment if you know what you are talking about? Either offer me a solution or skip the thread.

Much appreciated.

AMD cards don't really work that well in OSX, you're better off using an Nvidia card, but the 780, 780ti and Titan don't support it in 10.9 Mavericks. You could always play it safe an run 10.8 Mountain Lion, there isn't that much difference. The 780ti will support OpenCL only in 10.8 Mountain lion not 10.9 Mavericks. 

Don't buy an AMD card for OSX as it will most likely not work if at all and use 10.8 for opencl. 

For OSX i have been lead to believe so.My apologies for the bluntness of this, but did i not say to only comment if you know what you are talking about? Either offer me a solution or skip the thread.

You don't need OpenCL for OSX. If your using a Hackintosh you're better off with Nvidia.

hello

You don't need OpenCL for OSX. If your using a Hackintosh you're better off with Nvidia.

OpenCL is actually very useful for OS X. Its required in stuff like Final Cut Pro and Motion 5 and it is definitely needed to support the CPU with rendering tasks. But if you're not editing video using software that supports OpenCL like that then its fine. I can't use it without OpenCL personally though.

Thank you very much, also if i may ask if nvidia cards struggle in mavericks, and so do AMD cards.. What does work with mavericks? 

Thank you very much, also if i may ask if nvidia cards struggle in mavericks, and so do AMD cards.. What does work with mavericks? 

GTX 770,760,680,670,660/ti, etc. Basically the GK104 chips. I have a GTX 770 which should work fine in Mavericks though I haven't tested it. But yh if you want to go with Mavericks then pick a GK104 chip. Here is a useful link: http://www.tonymacx86.com/406-building-customac-buyer-s-guide-january-2014.html#gfx_cards

GTX 770,760,680,670,660/ti, etc. Basically the GK104 chips. I have a GTX 770 which should work fine in Mavericks though I haven't tested it. But yh if you want to go with Mavericks then pick a GK104 chip. Here is a useful link: http://www.tonymacx86.com/406-building-customac-buyer-s-guide-january-2014.html#gfx_cards

Well thanks, i will definitely be using mountain lion.