can I install an SSD on my 10yo computer?

Windows95

I got this:

CPU: q6660 g0

MOBO:  https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-X38-DQ6-rev-10#ov

the CPU was released on 2008, so I assume my computer is at least 10 years old

Can I install an SSD? im getting warnings of how win 7 is running out of updates by next year, so i want to buy an SSD if possible and run windows 10 there, hopefully it runs decently on my old hardware? I have 7 GB of ram.

if so, which SSD would be addecuate? ideally 2 TB.. but maybe its too expensive?

i was supposed to update to 3900X this x-mas but due the COPPA bullshit my career is at risk of ending cause I do animated content and apparently you arent allowed to make money anymore on youtube from young audiences unless you are a corporation, so im waiting this shit out and staying frugal until then

I have a XEON CPU from the same time, and have no problems with SSD's.

Any SATA SSD should be good (non M.2), try top stick to known brands, e.g. take the

Samsung MZ-76Q2T0BW

Your Motherboard only has SATA 2, so you will be only getting around 300MB/s, but it will still be faster than most harddrives, especionally when it comes to random access.

You could install yourself something like this: https://www.amazon.de/Richer-R-Controllerkarte-Erweiterung-Windows7-Server2003-default/dp/B07D6GB9M3/ref=sr_1_15?keywords=PCIe+auf+SAta&link_code=qs&qid=1573918066&sourceid=Mozilla-search&sr=8-15

if you have PCIe Slots left, to fully profit from the Speed, a SSD will give you.

It should work (provided the mobo has SATA), but you might not get optimal performance out of them. I've updated my father's old notebook with an SSD, and its bus is so slow that the SSD maxes out at around 120-150 MB/s when it should be capable of 550 MB/s ?

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

2 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

It should work (provided the mobo has SATA), but you might not get optimal performance out of them. I've updated my father's old notebook with an SSD, and its bus is so slow that the SSD maxes out at around 120-150 MB/s when it should be capable of 550 MB/s ?

Then your fathers MoBo only has SATA I 1,5Gb/s, the one from Windows95 has SATA II 3Gb/s, so double the Speed

6 minutes ago, JH17002723 said:

I have a XEON CPU from the same time, and have no problems with SSD's.

Any SATA SSD should be good (non M.2), try top stick to known brands, e.g. take the

Samsung MZ-76Q2T0BW

Your Motherboard only has SATA 2, so you will be only getting around 300MB/s, but it will still be faster than most harddrives, especionally when it comes to random access.

You could install yourself something like this: https://www.amazon.de/Richer-R-Controllerkarte-Erweiterung-Windows7-Server2003-default/dp/B07D6GB9M3/ref=sr_1_15?keywords=PCIe+auf+SAta&link_code=qs&qid=1573918066&sourceid=Mozilla-search&sr=8-15

if you have PCIe Slots left, to fully profit from the Speed, a SSD will give you.

interesting, so i just put that card and plug the ssd there? but the connectors remain inside the box or I have to connect the ssd and leave it ouside? I dont like that

Yes, even 10 year old PCs can handle an SSD, and while you may not get the peak sequential speeds, you will likely still get nearly the full benefit in terms of overall system responsiveness improvement, so it'd highly recommended imo

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, JH17002723 said:

Then your fathers MoBo only has SATA I 1,5Gb/s, the one from Windows95 has SATA II 3Gb/s, so double the Speed

Keep in mind that it's a laptop. I bought that originally in 2005 or 2006, before I handed it down to him. I think it came preinstalled with Windows Vista. The SSD upgrade was still worth it, the machine is still in use and feels a lot snappier with an SSD.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

2 minutes ago, Windows95 said:

interesting, so i just put that card and plug the ssd there? but the connectors remain inside the box or I have to connect the ssd and leave it ouside? I dont like that

The SSD and Cable stay inside the case, you may just need a little bit longer SATA Cable, than you would need, when connesting to the MoBo directly.

14 minutes ago, JH17002723 said:

The SSD and Cable stay inside the case, you may just need a little bit longer SATA Cable, than you would need, when connesting to the MoBo directly.

can you give me amazon link for the correct cable to connect the samsung to the pci card?

i also have a concern: the pci card amazon page says:

(1X 4X 8X 16X) Karten für Windows7/8/XP/Server2003/Mac/Linux usw.

so it doesnt support windows 10??

4 minutes ago, Windows95 said:

can you give me amazon link for the correct cable to connect the samsung to the pci card?

i also have a concern: the pci card amazon page says:

(1X 4X 8X 16X) Karten für Windows7/8/XP/Server2003/Mac/Linux usw.

so it doesnt support windows 10??

Almost everything compatible with Windows 7 works just the same with Windows 10.

https://www.amazon.de/deleyCON-SATA-Kabel-S-ATA-Datenkabel-Rot/dp/B01F24PLLQ/ref=sr_1_9?__mk_de_DE=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&keywords=sata+3+50cm&qid=1573920307&sr=8-9

You may need one of these, if you keep your hdd in and don't have a SATA Power Connector left free:

https://www.amazon.de/Wentronic-Internes-Stromadapterkabel-Kupplung-Stecker/dp/B003ZA8UWM/ref=sr_1_8?__mk_de_DE=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&crid=17P01QAJZCHX&keywords=sata+power+splitter&qid=1573920390&sprefix=sata+power%2Caps%2C196&sr=8-8

1 minute ago, JH17002723 said:

very nice, my only concern now is there is a commentary on the amazon page of my country that says

"it works, but when i used it with my hdd at the same time my computer slowed down...."

what could cause this??