GTX260 to ~$1000 PC or/and wait for High-End Maxwell?

Hi there, first post : )

I love the LinusTechTips videos and thought on becoming an active member on this forum and sorry for starting by asking for you guys advice.  (English is not first language btw)

I have:

Intel i7 920 2.6GHz CPU (first generation)

Gigabyte EX58-DS4 Motherboard

G.Skill 6GB RAM (first gen DDR3 I think)

Gigabyte GTX 260 OC

Its about time for me to get a new computer, and its more of a need too as I will be using the new computer not just for gaming but mainly for business and that includes photo and video editing.

I plan on going high end, with a flexible budget of $5000 AUD.

The problem I have now is apparently everyone's problem; wait for the next generation technologies? Maxwell, DDR4 and Haswell-E or even Skylake. Is there more coming?

I have planned on buying this high-end PC around June-July (after tax return here in Australia) but now I am thinking if its worth it or not, because the difference between one generation and other is huge compared to a refresh but I have also read that the first line of the first generation will be full of problems and will be poorly optimized which means a new built based on the last refresh of the current generation is a wiser move.

So I came in conclusion that I should buy a simple PC of no more than $1000 and wait until Q1 or even Q4 2015 to buy the high end computer I originally planned on buying.

What do you guys think I should do? ANY comments/opinions are appreciated.

What ever you recommend I can't hold on to my current computer much longer.

This is what I originally thought on getting:

GPU: Intel i7 4930K

MB: Asus P9X79-E WS

GPU 1: gtx 780 Ti (maybe 2 of these)

GPU 2: Nvidia Quadro K4000 3GB

RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB 2133MHz

Storage: 2x Asus RAIDR 240GB or 1x OCZ Revo Drive 3 X2 Series 480GB

1x Samsung 840 EVO 1TB and 1x Western Digital Black 4TB

Monitor: Asus PB279Q

Soundcard: Not sure as Asus just release the Essence III. But it will definitely be a high end sound card as I am quite an audiophile.

I also plan on getting liquid cooling but I am still not sure about it and as for the case I will probably use the same one I have which is an Antec twelve hundred V1 or if I get liquid cooling I would buy the corsair 900D

wait for maXwell dont buy any graphiCS CArd From eiTHER amd or nvidia (sorry if you cANt reAD my written text my keyboard and software is broken)
oh my bad welCOME TO the Linus tech tips forum :D hi my naME IS KINGSLEY ;D

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

wait for maXwell dont buy any graphiCS CArd From eiTHER amd or nvidia (sorry if you cANt reAD my written text my keyboard and software is broken)

oh my bad welCOME TO the Linus tech tips forum :D hi my naME IS KINGSLEY ;D

why are you doing this? :P

and yes wait for maxwell @OP.

"Probably Because I'm A Dangerous Sociopath With A Long History Of Violence"

why are you doing this? :P

and yes wait for maxwell @OP.

what do you mean by that :S

Maxwell is a totally new graphics card architecture so be warned that it should be awesome and kick ass + expensive

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

what do you mean by that :S

Maxwell is a totally new graphics card architecture so be warned that it should be awesome and kick ass + expensive

why are you writting with caps on and caps off? ^^

"Probably Because I'm A Dangerous Sociopath With A Long History Of Violence"

I'm in a similar situation with you - I have a GTX 275 though. I've decided to upgrade my graphics card now (just purchased one with my tax refund!) and wait until later in the year to upgrade my entire system (new mobo, cpu, ram). The lack of Sata III and USB 3 really is hindering my upgrade path right now - SSDs aren't performing as well and finding additional, compatible RAM is nearly impossible for me. 

why are you writting with caps on and caps off? ^^

my keyboard is broken sinCE its ChiClet and windows is screwing me over

i don't know if you have thought of a backup drive (maby you have a nas i don't know) otherwise you could get a second wd 4tb

#killedmywife #howtomakebombs #vgamasterrace

I'm in a similar situation with you - I have a GTX 275 though. I've decided to upgrade my graphics card now (just purchased one with my tax refund!) and wait until later in the year to upgrade my entire system (new mobo, cpu, ram). The lack of Sata III and USB 3 really is hindering my upgrade path right now - SSDs aren't performing as well and finding additional, compatible RAM is nearly impossible for me. 

iF you are also COnsidering a graphicS card upgrade in my mind and opinion the best cards on the block for expensive is either the r nine two ninety (MY Kb Is broken so i CANnot type numbers) or the geforcE gtx seven eighty

mid tier is the seventy nine seven or the rebranded two eighty x or the seven seventy from nvidia

anything lower is still a good value for money and gaming

iF you are also COnsidering a graphicS card upgrade in my mind and opinion the best cards on the block for expensive is either the r nine two ninety (MY Kb Is broken so i CANnot type numbers) or the geforcE gtx seven eighty

mid tier is the seventy nine seven or the rebranded two eighty x or the seven seventy from nvidia

anything lower is still a good value for money and gaming

Yep I fully agree. I'm going with the GTX 780 Classified by EVGA - seems like the most bang-for-buck at the price point without stepping into 780 TI waters (which I think is still too expensive for the small performance boost)

Thanks for the replies  and the welcoming guys. I think I will just wait but I still don't know if its worth getting a new cheap computer for the mean time or not. I won't benefit from a new graphics card as my motherboard only supports PCIe 2.0 and I would have to upgrade the PSU as well. It has also been a bit of a problem finding a compatible mid to high en RAM.  I would only benefit from a PCIe SSD as I don't have any SSD.

If I were to buy a cheap computer of around $1000 for the mean time, what are my chances of selling this computer for no less than $700 AUD within one year of purchase? I would buy it in May, so until May 2015.

If there are good chances of me selling it for no less than that then I will go for it and wait for the new generations to come along on 2015 to get that high end computer.

Also, does anyone have anything to say regarding the first line of the new generations? Like I said before since they are the first line wouldn't there be issues with it like compatibility issues, inefficient performance/lack of optimizations and maybe even hardware. The big leap in performance may be big enough to obliterate any problems of the new line and still get better performance than with the current refresh of the latest gen. I am just not sure about it, but I will keep researching.

Any comments/opinions are ALWAYS appreciated!

why wait for maxwell something new will forever be on the way and buying a new pc now will have a MASSIVE performance compared to what you current pc has.

Don't wait for things to be released unless it's 100% confirmed on the release date+ specs have been confirmed and it's not far away.   Get what you need NOW, there's room for future upgrades in a couple of years if you need more performance then.

If you keep waiting for the next best thing you'll never be happy with your parts and you'll never even buy the initial parts in the first place. Just bite the bullet and do it

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

I understand that and every year there is something new, but we don't get new technology every year, we get a new refresh every year. I dont just can wait a few more months, i need to because of the money and because i wont start working on design until the end of this year, im just trying to be careful and plan things ahead to try make the best decision i can.

Thanks for the replies tho, i do need some opinions regardless of the obvious.