getting into pfsense

intertan

Finally this weekend installing pfsense on some hardware I have kicking around. This is not a production server yet just playing with it.

now I do want to go fully in with pfsense. I have a few requirements to future proof what I hope to do

First is the options to use 2 isp accounts at the same time. Not looking at combining them into 1 connection. more like isp1 vlan 100 and isp 2 vlan 200 setup. then configure my switches after that.

Also have a fail over if one isp goes down.

Because of this potential 2gbps or more in the future I want the output to handle 10gbps. an x8 slot is needed for sfp+ ports. 

ipmi is also nice.

2u or smaller case

low power yet room to expand.

I will be using an ssd as the main drive.

Now I haven't dug to much into the advanced setup of pfsense or even my unifi equipment I have in use.

16 minutes ago, intertan said:

First is the options to use 2 isp accounts at the same time. Not looking at combining them into 1 connection. more like isp1 vlan 100 and isp 2 vlan 200 setup. then configure my switches after that.

PFsense will do isp round robin and wan balancing just fine. Google for guies.

17 minutes ago, intertan said:

2u or smaller case

Id just get a used server like a dell r210 ii or simmilar. Cheaper than going diy.

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

PFsense will do isp round robin and wan balancing just fine. Google for guies.

Id just get a used server like a dell r210 ii or simmilar. Cheaper than going diy.

but can it do an x8 gen 3 pcie card? part of what might be happening is using a sfp gpon adaptor. Drop the isp ont. Been finding some success with both bell and telus.

1 hour ago, intertan said:

but can it do an x8 gen 3 pcie card? part of what might be happening is using a sfp gpon adaptor. Drop the isp ont. Been finding some success with both bell and telus.

I think its gen2, but the r220 is gen 3.

But you don't need gen3 for a 10gbe nic with gpon, as its 2.5/1.2 max.

13 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

I think its gen2, but the r220 is gen 3.

But you don't need gen3 for a 10gbe nic with gpon, as its 2.5/1.2 max.

its sort of future proofing myself. rather spend the extra money now then down the road. I am hopping sometime in the future were I can somehow drop my isp (sasktel) equipment and go straight fiber to pfsense. the other shaw as well. I do realize they will not support it but it is less equipment to fail.

I am doing that now with the ont connected directly to my unifi usg device. Not supported but not frowned upon by my isp now.

17 minutes ago, intertan said:

its sort of future proofing myself. rather spend the extra money now then down the road. I am hopping sometime in the future were I can somehow drop my isp (sasktel) equipment and go straight fiber to pfsense. the other shaw as well. I do realize they will not support it but it is less equipment to fail.

I am doing that now with the ont connected directly to my unifi usg device. Not supported but not frowned upon by my isp now.

Really pcie gen 2 x8 will be plenty for 10gbe, and Im guessing you won't see more than 10gbe wan any time soon, and you will want faster hardware anyways. Id go with those older dell servers here.

27 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Really pcie gen 2 x8 will be plenty for 10gbe, and Im guessing you won't see more than 10gbe wan any time soon, and you will want faster hardware anyways. Id go with those older dell servers here.

Will consider that. Got to get use to pfsense first. Nice thing is I have 2 static ip addresses so I can actually with a little work get the network up and going while not affecting my main one.

1 minute ago, intertan said:

Will consider that. Got to get use to pfsense first. Nice thing is I have 2 static ip addresses so I can actually with a little work get the network up and going while not affecting my main one.

ALso if you just want to play with network, id fire up some vms. That way its a lot easier to try new configurations and much quicker to setup than with physical networks.

7 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

ALso if you just want to play with network, id fire up some vms. That way its a lot easier to try new configurations and much quicker to setup than with physical networks.

I have my 2nd unraid licence here. might look into that provided I can pass through my card. its 10+ yo hardware.

4 minutes ago, intertan said:

I have my 2nd unraid licence here. might look into that provided I can pass through my card. its 10+ yo hardware.

IF you want to mess with vms, id use something like proxmox or esxi. Its much better at unraid than running vms, and both of those oses are free as well.