New GPU?

SamB33

Hey guys I currently have an Asrock RX580 and I am considering what I should be my next graphics card in the future. I am pretty well versed on some of my options but I would like to hear some opinions from you guys! I like to overclock my cards I have owned in the past and obviously the 500 series is horrible at OC. I am even open to buying a used card if I can get a great deal on it. The games I play the most are Fortnite, Rainbow Six Seige, Oxygen not Included, Rocket League, GTA V, Risk of Rain 2, and Rise of the Tomb Raider. I play on 1080p 144hz as much as I can but I am not fully using the 144hz to its full extent a lot of the time. I am interesting in seeing what Intels GPU's might look like but right now I am on team red with a ryzen 7 2700x. I have seen some Ebay lists for rtx 2070s which would be cool if I could get one for the right price. The best GPU I have owned so far was from team green but I am still optimistic about the XT lineup from AMD. The rest of my system includes a b450 asus strix board, corsair h100i v2 all in one loop, 16gbs of corsair vengeance 3000hz memory, corsiar hx800i PSU, Sandisk 480GB SSD, and a mix of 2TBs of storage between 2 HDDs.  If you think there is a different area of my computer build that I should spend money on please let me know so I can think about upgrading that instead. Just from my personal opinion I think the GPU is the next thing spend on. 

GTX 1070 and 1070 ti models are enjoying some great eBay prices right now.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

My g/f is rockin a GTX 1070 for 1080p/144Hz, so I'd recommend it for non-AAA titles at Ultra/Very High Settings at those specs.  I'm currently usin a GTX 1070ti, which's workin well for 1440p/144Hz for many games, but not many AAA games'll work at Ultra at max FPS.  The price-to-performance apparently drops immensely after the RTX 2070 Super, so I wouldn't go higher than that at your resolution/FPS combo.

I'm waitin for the RTX 3k series, then I'll upgrade; but what I'm currently usin is workin for at least High Settings at 144FPS.  If you're willin to spend a little more now, then you'll get more instant performance w/more future resistance; instead of needin to upgrade every 1-2yrs or so.  It's beyond worth it and you can resell them for more at that time, since they're a higher Graphics Card to put into a new/upgraded used one.  Food for Thought.

Primary

CPU:      i9-10900k 3.7-5.3GHz (10th gen)

GPU:      EVGA RTX 3080ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming 12gb

MB:         ASUS RoG Maximus XIII Hero (ATX)

RAM:      64gb (4x16) DDR4-3200MHz G.Skill TridentZ Silver/Black (CL16)

HD:         1x 8TB Corsair MP400 NVMe PCIe 3.0 (SSD)

2x 16TB Seagate Exos 7200rpm (HDD)

E-HD:     12TB WD

PSU:       EVGA 1000w G2, 80+ Gold (modular)

UPS:       900w CyberPower

Display:   ASUS 27” 1440p/270Hz IPS 0.5ms (XG27AQM)

Aorus 27" 1440p/165Hz IPS 1ms (FI27Q-P) iGPU

KeyB:      EVGA Z15 (wired)

Mouse:    Logitech G-502 Hero (400/600/800/1000)

Headset: JBL Quantum ONE Gaming Headset

Case:      Cooler Master MasterCase H500P Mesh (ATX)

Other:     XB-1 Wireless Controller Adapter w/Controller

NPET H01 Gaming Mouse Bungee Cord Holder w/4 USB Ports

Gaming Computer Specs.pdf

The conventional wisdom is wait as long as possible to upgrade while keeping an eye on upcoming releases to avoid buyers remorse.  Myself I got a moldy old 970 I really need to upgrade but am gonna try to hold out to see what navi20 will bring.  I may hit up a 5700xt on Black Friday if I can find a serious deal on one though.  My worry is if I do that it’s not totally impossible the new consoles will make the thing near useless.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

8 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

My worry is if I do that it’s not totally impossible the new consoles will make the thing near useless.

That's when you sell the old one, and use the proceeds to subsidize the new one. That's what I'm planning myself.

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

2 minutes ago, BTGbullseye said:

That's when you sell the old one, and use the proceeds to subsidize the new one. That's what I'm planning myself.

The problem is you won’t know before the rest of the internet.  If the old card won’t play games it won’t be worth much.  My 970 will still manage most games (not quite all) at 1080p but it’s maybe a $100 card atm.  Iirc I payed near $400 when it was newer.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

The problem is you won’t know before the rest of the internet.  If the old card won’t play games it won’t be worth much.  My 970 will still manage most games (not quite all) at 1080p but it’s maybe a $100 card atm.  Iirc I payed near $400 when it was newer.

If the RTX 2080ti still doesn't stop the 5700 XT from running new games, then next gen AMD stuff isn't going to prevent it either. It'll definitely not sell for as high after the new release, but it'll still sell and play new games for years afterwards.

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

1 minute ago, BTGbullseye said:

If the RTX 2080ti still doesn't stop the 5700 XT from running new games, then next gen AMD stuff isn't going to prevent it either. It'll definitely not sell for as high after the new release, but it'll still sell and play new games for years afterwards.

It’s not a high probability.  My concern is the new consoles coming out all come with the same very black box GPU that has 2nd gen hardware raytracing.  A 5700xt will have the raw power, but that might not be all it needs.  Sure ray tracing is more or less pointless atm.  Might not stay that way though.

its low probability.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

A 5700xt will have the raw power, but that might not be all it needs.

I can assure you that it really is all it needs. It should have raytracing performance on-par with the 2060 or 2060 Super once the software allows it. (it already does in the few non-Nvidia-optimized raytracing tasks available, like the SEUS PTGI shaders)

1 hour ago, BTGbullseye said:

I can assure you that it really is all it needs. It should have raytracing performance on-par with the 2060 or 2060 Super once the software allows it. (it already does in the few non-Nvidia-optimized raytracing tasks available, like the SEUS PTGI shaders)

I agree.  The problem is that eats power.  A lot.  There is a world of tanks software tenderer.  It’s super simplified and only does tank shadows.  It was built from the ground up to maintain FPS.  It still cuts frame rates by a staggering amount though.  There’s a pretty good chance a 5700xt will have the muscle to bull through it anyway.  Only pretty good though.  

I still consider it a bit of a die roll.  Not a hard roll, but a roll.

If I see a 5700xt that’s a really good deal I may pick one up.  I thought hard about buying one when they came out, but people were talking about custom cards being cheaper.  That didn’t happen.  They were more expensive.  I like quiet computing.  The reference cards were loud.  If I see the prices I was expecting to see for a custom card I may get one.  If I see a reference blower card so cheap I can buy a CPU cooler to throw on it and MAKE a quiet custom card I may do that too.  If I don’t see anything good though I’m gonna wait.

24 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

If I see a reference blower card so cheap I can buy a CPU cooler to throw on it and MAKE a quiet custom card I may do that too.

Gotta be careful doing that though, and make sure you have enough heatsink and airflow on the VRAM and VRMs, and it's questionable as to its long-term capabilities. Just be careful if you go that route.

13 minutes ago, BTGbullseye said:

Gotta be careful doing that though, and make sure you have enough heatsink and airflow on the VRAM and VRMs, and it's questionable as to its long-term capabilities. Just be careful if you go that route.

Yep.  I got an old 3 pipe arctic cooling CPU cooler sitting around I could use but won’t.  It’s side airflow.  That kind of thing needs top to bottom air and nice finned heat sinks on eeeeverything. VRMs need to be kept at the same temp so they have to go on a single heat sink which could mean I got to cut a copper plate, And then you got to go through it and make sure nothing is heating up.  It’s a PITA.  It would have to be a pretty darn cheap reference card to justify it.

2 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Yep.  I got an old 3 pipe arctic cooling CPU cooler sitting around I could use but won’t.  It’s side airflow.  That kind of thing needs top to bottom air and nice finned heat sinks on eeeeverything. VRMs need to be kept at the same temp so they have to go on a single heat sink which could mean I got to cut a copper plate, And then you got to go through it and make sure nothing is heating up.  It’s a PITA.  It would have to be a pretty darn cheap reference card to justify it.

I'd even go as far as to only use adhesive on the corners or middles of the sides of the chips/VRMs and use good thermal paste for the actual heat transfer material. Will usually provide superior heat transfer. (plus it's easier to fix if something goes wrong, with less chance of breaking things)

Yeah that tape is garbage and the paste I got is plenty sticky

Thanks for the comments guys I will look out for good deals in the ranges you guys laid out :)