Weird hard drive noise

So i got a Western Digital Black 2tb drive today, and it sounds very weird to me. Whenever i am writing/reading data to/from it, it makes these kind of grinding noises. Kind of sounds like a REALLY loud version of the sound hard drives and especially old ones make when you put you ear close to them. I ran a quick test on WD's own "Data Lifeguard Diagnostics", which it passed, so is it possible that this is just the normal sound, a high performance drives makes? I expected it to be a bit louder than the blue one, which i'm used to, but this is ridiculously loud. I even felt my table (which my case is sitting on) vibrate while running the test. I have checked, that the drive is mounted correctly. of course.

Edit:
I found this video showcasing the sound, i am experiencing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSxT_RH0zWA

boop

hard drives dying copy it onto another one or something 

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

my black does it too, from what i know, the WD Blacks are loud

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled

I had the same problem. I took my HDD outside of my case and put it on top of my mouse mat and turned on my PC. It was way quieter.

Sometimes your PC case can make your HDD sounds louder. You can reduce that noise by getting HDD screws with little rubber pieces that reduces vibrations and noise.

There is a tendency for faulty drives to fail quite early. Put the drive through some stress tests for a day or so and see if it is going to fail early before you use it seriously because I suspect its going to die prematurely. WD black drives do make clicking noises but grinding is not normal.

its hard to know what you mean by loud.  the drive is 7200 rpm so they tend to make a bit of noise.

if its really load it might indicate the drive is dying or has a bad controller or bearings. very loud is bad.  if it sound like a gearbox changing gear badly that very bad.

Is the drive horizontal or vertical ? it its at an angle that no the best.

it actually could be the case, my old pc case worked like a rediculous amplifier... try to pad the drive. If it is loud out of the case i would rma it, maybe it got damaged in shipping the drive will fail early usually.... 

Grinding noise may have been a wrong description.. I found this video showcasing the sound, i am experiencing. Even when my case is closed, it is loud, though.

Grinding noise may have been a wrong description.. I found this video showcasing the sound, i am experiencing. Even when my case is closed, it is loud, though.

It doesn't matter if the case is closed. Take it out of the case put it somewhere safe and soft (I used my mouse mat) and turn on your PC and use you hard drive a bit.

If the hard drive is far more quieter outside of the case then that's not your problem.

I have a Black caviar 640 GB which makes noises too but it's no where near severe sounding as yours and mine only makes noise if i'm doing something like a scan

Could be due to heating issues.....Try to allow more cooling of the hard drive by installing fans near the HDD and see if that helps....and if it doesn't improve anything then probably the HDD will be suffering data loss in sometime...change it because hdds do not make that kind of noise... :)

HDDs even the WD Black, make noise but like a case fan of higher dB...if it makes cracking noise like that there will be chances of data loss...thats a fact...