Network share, over two different internet's

WillLTT
Go to solution Solved by Sir Asvald,
On 11/12/2019 at 7:05 PM, WillLTT said:

So i have two different houses, house1 hosts a network share in it.  I want to acess it from house 2.  i cannot acess my parents router, so thats out of the picture. 

How can i do this?

Setup up a VPN from your house and connect to it from your parents.

So i have two different houses, house1 hosts a network share in it.  I want to acess it from house 2.  i cannot acess my parents router, so thats out of the picture. 

How can i do this?

It will be difficult to access anything behind a router without modifying the router's configuration in some way. A router is primarily supposed to keep stuff out that wasn't requested from inside the private network, unless you explicitly open a port and forward that to some other machine on the network.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

I would recommend something like OneDrive, Google Drive, etc. that allows you to have a local copy of all files but keeps it in sync with all other synced locations, plus the cloud.

If you'd rather not involve the cloud and just go point to point, Resilio is a thing.

If storing a copy in both places is not possible or desirable, then you'll have to find a solution that just lets you access the files without keeping a locally synced copy.  OneDrive does offer this, but again if you'd rather not use cloud then that's out.  The main issue with any solution that does this though will be low speed.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

On 11/12/2019 at 7:05 PM, WillLTT said:

How can i do this?

Setup up a VPN from your house and connect to it from your parents.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.