RX 5700 flickering like old VHS tape

Ozz

So I just did a complete upgrade to my system.

Ryzen 5 2400G to a Ryzen 5 2600 

2x8/2x8 3200 16gig kits for a total of 32gig @2400 (any higher is unstable) to a proper 4x8 3200 kit of corsair vengeance (at 3000, 3200 is BSOD)

RX 580 8 to a RX 5700.

for refrence, the PSU is EVGA 750BQ Bronze, and B450 Aorus M

The 2600 is working fine, and the ram is stable. but that. GPU is... a problem. I use an ultrawide 16/9 screen with freesync @75hz because i like to have youtube playing as well as keep an eye on discord chat on the left, with my windowed game taking up the right. Since I upgraded from the RX 580, I now get screen flickers when i play games. It's pretty distracting and looks like an old VHS with tracking problems (for those of you who even know what that means). I have the newest driver I got from PowerColors driver page. I have no issues in games that run full screen. its just windowed mode thats the issue, which is a problem for me since that is my preferred. any clues as to why my RX 5700 thinks its a crusty old VHS?

1 minute ago, Ozz said:

So I just did a complete upgrade to my system.

Is free-sync on or off?

Might just have some bug with it's firmware and Navi

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Don't use the drivers provided by Powercolor, chances are they are multiple versions behind the current version. Head here and get the latest version direct from AMD.

Download and run DDU, reboot to safe mode when asked, run DDU again, select Graphics > AMD then click Clean & Restart and wait for the PC to reboot.

Install the latest version from AMD.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Freesync is on. I'm connected via display port. Otherwise I'd have to use HDMI and be limited to 60htz.

Thanks for the driver tips. I'll get ddu and clean things up tonight and let you know if it helped. 

5 hours ago, Ozz said:

Freesync is on. I'm connected via display port.

You might need a higher quality DisplayPort cable for the 5700 to work properly with your monitor. I have had at least 2 monitors in my family that had a similar sounding issue fixed with a nice high quality DisplayPort cable. (note that I said high quality, not expensive, as price has absolutely NOTHING WHATSOEVER to do with quality)

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

8 hours ago, BTGbullseye said:

You might need a higher quality DisplayPort cable for the 5700 to work properly with your monitor. I have had at least 2 monitors in my family that had a similar sounding issue fixed with a nice high quality DisplayPort cable. (note that I said high quality, not expensive, as price has absolutely NOTHING WHATSOEVER to do with quality)

Good news everyone ! I'd turns out it was just a simple driver issue. The drivers from PowerColor were in fact, out of date, and the latest drivers from AMD fixed the issues. My system is working great now! Thanks all for the suggestions and help. Next time I'll just get my drivers from the source and not the partner. Save myself some headache.