Gaming Laptop Or Normal Laptop?

Hi,

I was searching for a new laptop that has decent hardware within my budget. I found two laptops that I think the best. (I don't prefer a desktop because I want my PC to be portable, and I think Acer is a good brand. My previously Acer laptop is 6-7 years old and still working good.)

Acer Nitro 5 (AN515-54-526L) and Acer Aspire 3 (A315-55G-74LX).

I will use the new laptop mostly with web surfing, photo/video editing, and some gaming. 

The Acer Nitro 5 has an Intel i5-9300H processor, Nvidia GeForce® GTX 1050 (up to 3 GB) GPU, 4 GB DDR4 RAM, and 256 GB SSD storage.

The Acer Aspire 3 has an Intel i7-8565U processor, Nvidia GeForce® MX230 (up to 2 GB) GPU, 4 GB DDR4 RAM, and 256 GB SSD storage.

Both of them have about the same price. But Acer Aspire 3 has less weight and has more battery than Nitro 5. However, I also read that gaming laptops have better air circulation and more optimized.

Which of them is better with my PC usage?

Thanks, will be waiting for a response.

Are you going to move it alot? 

There are pros and cons to both, the Nitro 5 has alot better gaming performance, but it gets really loud under load and well weight alot more. The battery is also not that good. The Acer Aspire 3 is giving up alot in the performance section for a sleeker design, but the biggest problem here is the 4GB DDR4, id say its unacceptable to have so little memory in 2019, try to find something with more.

1 minute ago, apebanan said:

Are you going to move it alot? 

There are pros and cons to both, the Nitro 5 has alot better gaming performance, but it gets really loud under load and well weight alot more. The battery is also not that good. The Acer Aspire 3 is giving up alot in the performance section for a sleeker design, but the biggest problem here is the 4GB DDR4, id say its unacceptable to have so little memory in 2019, try to find something with more.

Which part of the world do you live in? 

I wouldn’t pick either. 4GB of ram won’t cut it. At least get a laptop with 8GB of ram. 

what is your budget and location ?

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

Neither models are good first of all

3 hours ago, Muhlis Gursoy said:

I think Acer is a good brand

no brand is 'good'

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

I'm in Malaysia, my budget is 3000 RM (around 725$). I search the laptops from the Acer's official website (click here). It's English.

I prefer Intel's CPU and GPU if possible, and yes, I also think RAM is important. 

I saw the Acer Swift 3, which is about 200-300 RM cheaper than laptops that I said before. It has i5-8265U CPU, Nvidia Geforce MX250 (up to 2 GB) GPU, 8 GB DDR4 RAM and 256 GB SSD storage. It does not have much difference than Nitro 5 or Aspire, just the processor is a bit low-end if compared. It weighs 1.35 kg (the Nitro was 2.5 kg). I just didn't sure does the Swift 3 is upgradeable?

1 minute ago, Muhlis Gursoy said:

I'm in Malaysia, my budget is 3000 RM

Hi from Malaysia

Budget cannot stretch further?

1 minute ago, Muhlis Gursoy said:

I prefer Intel's CPU and GPU if possible

Any particular reason?

2 minutes ago, Muhlis Gursoy said:

I also think RAM is important

Do you need more than 8GB RAM though

Also FYI choosing laptops isn't depending on specs only

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

Just general tips for choosing

• Atleast 8gb DDR4
  • Only SSDs, i cant recommend HDDs anymore, no matter what size 
  • Minimum a GTX 1050 for actual gaming 
  • Check if the laptop has overheating/throttling problems before buying 

1 minute ago, apebanan said:

Just general tips for choosing

• Atleast 8gb DDR4
  • Only SSDs, i cant recommend HDDs anymore, no matter what size 
  • Minimum a GTX 1050 for actual gaming 
  • Check if the laptop has overheating/throttling problems before buying 

Also that Acer website is scamming everyone into buying more RAM and having 4GB base models, dumb