Help me buy a new system for work

KinSlayer

Hi everyone. I have a laptop and i do everything with it including work.I want to buy a new PC only for my work and i plan to game only with the laptop.

My laptop is Asus S551LN. It has core i7 cpu and nvidia Geforce 840M graphics. Working with it is really frustrating and i get super exhausted after 1 hour because it's laggy and hot like burning all the time. I doesn't perform very well in games either but i can get a good experience at games by setting everything to Low.

By the way i'm new to the Youtube and computers and basically everything they discuss about on youtube.

I do some 3D modeling, animating, rendering and i work a little with Maya, Red Shift, Mental Ray, V-RAY, Substance etc. The laptop can open the programs easily but it doesn't work properly. After 5 minutes of work it get's super hot and fans start to get on my nerve. I always put it on a cooling pad but that does nothing . I even open a window to get good cool airflow. I have it cleaned inside and outside to make sure vents are not clogged. literally i tried everything i could think of but there is no difference afterwards.
I think the laptop can not handle it anymore because my workload is getting intense like the last time i rendered just a single frame in Maya with it, it took 58 minutes for it to finish and that was only 1 frame. I don't know if there is anything else i can do to improve it's performance and get the most out of it.

Yesterday i saw a video on LTT youtube, they said someone from LTT (i don't remember who) had a laptop and he used to do solidworks projects with it and suddenly the laptop broke. I don't want that happen to me, so i'm asking for help on this topic. Please give me a good advise on how and what to choose because i don't know computer stuff that much and i'm just confused with so many things on store shelves. You may consider that i have a limited budget around 3000$, 2800 to be exact but i can pay an extra 200 for a good upgrade that's worth it.

Also i sent an email to LTT and commented my problem asking for help a couple times, no one answered. I have no hope that they'll ever see my comment or read my email at all So if you know anything that can help me, i'd really like to know it.
Thanks for the time you spent on reading this and have a good day.

$2800 can get you a lot of things. Fortunately, you don't need to spend $2800, and everything below can be purchased on Amazon.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor  ($499.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: ASRock X570 Taichi ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($259.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: *G.Skill Sniper X 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($124.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($191.95 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 2 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($299.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 570 8 GB ARMOR OC Video Card  ($159.94 @ Amazon) 
Case: Phanteks P300 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($59.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($114.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1711.83
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-09 20:59 EST-0500

So here's a breakdown of the build:

• The CPU listed has 12 cores and 24 threads. This will work great for your needs, and it comes with a cooler.
  • I picked out a pretty decent mid-ranged X570 motherboard that supports Wi-Fi and should aesthetically work with the rest of the PC.
  • The memory is whatever 3200+ MHz 32 GB kit was the cheapest.
  • The storage is a 2 TB SATA III SSD and a 1 TB NVMe drive. The SATA III SSD is slower, but for mass storage, I feel it would be a lot better than a hard drive nowadays. Make sure to install your operating system on the 1 TB NVMe drive.
  • The GPU is an RX 570. Computational-wise, it's a good, budget graphics card that doesn't cost too much and delivers close to mid-range performance. You said you weren't going to game on this, but even so, this will definitely be better at gaming than your laptop.
  • I picked out a decent budget case.
  • Since the budget allowed for it, I picked out a good power supply that provides room for upgrading.

Actually, I COULD recommend a build that has a Threadripper 2990WX and X399 TR4 board, and that would have even more cores, but it sounds like you're just getting your foot through the door with building computers. The above system I listed should work great for your needs, nevertheless, providing a massive improvement over your current setup.

Remember, you'll also need a USB drive for installing your operating system. It sounds like you'll most likely be using Windows 10, so any 8 GB USB drive should work.

need os/monitor/peripherals?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

1 minute ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

need os/monitor/peripherals?

yeah definitely everything since i have only a laptop and need a Full HD monitor, a good set of mouse and keyboard but i have the OS which is windows 10.

8 minutes ago, Kavawuvi said:

$2800 can get you a lot of things. Fortunately, you don't need to spend $2800, and everything below can be purchased on Amazon.

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: ASRock X570 Taichi ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($259.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: *G.Skill Sniper X 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($124.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($191.95 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 2 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($299.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 570 8 GB ARMOR OC Video Card  ($159.94 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($114.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1711.83
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-09 20:59 EST-0500

So here's a breakdown of the build:

• The CPU listed has 12 cores and 24 threads. This will work great for your needs, and it comes with a cooler.
  • I picked out a pretty decent mid-ranged X570 motherboard that supports Wi-Fi and should aesthetically work with the rest of the PC.
  • The memory is whatever 3200+ MHz 32 GB kit was the cheapest.
  • The storage is a 2 TB SATA III SSD and a 1 TB NVMe drive. The SATA III SSD is slower, but for mass storage, I feel it would be a lot better than a hard drive nowadays. Make sure to install your operating system on the 1 TB NVMe drive.
  • The GPU is an RX 570. Computational-wise, it's a good, budget graphics card that doesn't cost too much and delivers close to mid-range performance. You said you weren't going to game on this, but even so, this will definitely be better at gaming than your laptop.
  • I picked out a decent budget case.
  • Since the budget allowed for it, I picked out a good power supply that provides room for upgrading.

Actually, I COULD recommend a build that has a Threadripper 2990WX and X399 TR4 board, and that would have even more cores, but it sounds like you're just getting your foot through the door with building computers. The above system I listed should work great for your needs, nevertheless, providing a massive improvement over your current setup.

Remember, you'll also need a USB drive for installing your operating system. It sounds like you'll most likely be using Windows 10, so any 8 GB USB drive should work.

Alright i get that you are not going for an overkill but i just got more confused since you said you also recommend Threadripper cpu witch has more cores. I think later i'm going to regret that why didn't I use the entire budget to get something that could really be the top tier for my work and could do better by spending a little more and that feeling is going to kill me. But i totally respect your viewpoint and also thanks for mentioning the tips. I will add everything you said to my list because i think at least you know many things about computers and certainly more than me.

14 minutes ago, KinSlayer said:

yeah definitely everything since i have only a laptop and need a Full HD monitor, a good set of mouse and keyboard but i have the OS which is windows 10.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler  ($48.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($164.99 @ B&H) 
Memory: OLOy 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($99.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Inland Premium 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($104.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($79.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB BLACK GAMING Video Card  ($484.98 @ Newegg) 
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox NR600 (w/o ODD) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($69.98 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Rosewill Capstone 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  ($54.89 @ Newegg) 
Monitor: VIOTEK GN34CW 34.0" 3440x1440 100 Hz Monitor  ($379.99 @ Amazon) 
Keyboard: Rosewill RK-9000V2 RE Wired Standard Keyboard  ($49.99 @ Amazon) 
Mouse: Logitech G403 Prodigy Wired Optical Mouse  ($34.99 @ Best Buy) 
Total: $2073.76
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-09 21:28 EST-0500

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

44 minutes ago, KinSlayer said:

Alright i get that you are not going for an overkill but i just got more confused since you said you also recommend Threadripper cpu witch has more cores. I think later i'm going to regret that why didn't I use the entire budget to get something that could really be the top tier for my work and could do better by spending a little more and that feeling is going to kill me. But i totally respect your viewpoint and also thanks for mentioning the tips. I will add everything you said to my list because i think at least you know many things about computers and certainly more than me.

All right. If you want a PC with the best Threadripper CPU in terms of compute performance, here you go. Note that this won't be top tier in a few months from now, since AMD is updating their Threadripper line-up in a bit, but this should still be quite good. Building this PC will be a little more involved, though, particularly with CPU and cooler installation, but there are many guides online on how to do this.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Threadripper 2990WX 3 GHz 32-Core Processor  ($1718.48 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U9 TR4-SP3 46.44 CFM CPU Cooler  ($69.90 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte X399 AORUS PRO ATX TR4 Motherboard  ($279.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: *G.Skill Aegis 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($124.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Silicon Power A80 256 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($43.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($64.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: XFX Radeon RX 570 8 GB Video Card  ($139.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($109.99 @ Amazon) 
Monitor: Asus PB278Q 27.0" 2560x1440 60 Hz Monitor  ($339.99 @ Amazon) 
Keyboard: Logitech MK235 Wireless Standard Keyboard With Optical Mouse  ($14.99 @ Best Buy) 
Total: $2967.29
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-09 21:49 EST-0500

Since you wanted your budget to include a monitor as well as a keyboard and mouse, I chose a pretty good but also good-value 1440p monitor and a fairly cheap keyboard and mouse.

Having to include a monitor did mean that I had to cut back on the storage and graphics if I wanted the build to stay under $3000. Thus, it's no longer all SSD, and the boot drive is a little slower. Also, the graphics card is a somewhat cheaper RX 570, but it should still perform similarly. Also, this isn't entirely available at Amazon, anymore, since other places have better deals, so it might be a little less convenient getting the parts.

Also, note that this motherboard does not have onboard Wi-Fi, so you will need to plug in an RJ45 Ethernet cable to connect to a network. You can buy a PCIe wireless NIC, but that will increase the price to around $3000.

To support the Threadripper CPU, I also upgraded the power supply to a 750 W power supply which should be more than enough for your PC. The 650 W PSU would have probably still have been fine, but this will perform a little more efficiently.

I also included a RAM kit that had 4 DIMMs instead of 2 DIMMs so you can take advantage of four memory channels. Be sure to read the motherboard manual for information on how to do this.

Lastly, the CPU does not come with a cooler, so I added a Noctua NH-U9 air cooler which should be just fine for the CPU. Liquid cooling is another option, but I just don't personally feel it's worth paying extra.

Oh, and if you're okay with getting a 24 core CPU instead of a 32 core CPU, get the 2970WX instead. This will drop the price by about $800.

Edited by Kavawuvi
added some more options for you