Changing SSD Boot Partition

chowbaaron

Hello,

I just recently built my new PC with the help of a friend. While he was helping me set up everything, he made a ~120GB partition on my 1TB Crucial P1 M.2 NVMe drive to install Windows on. After installing selecting that partition and installing Windows into it, the computer instead installed it into the larger partition. Before I start installing all my software back, I wanted to fix this issue. Can someone give me instructions on how to correctly separate the OS/Boot partition (or if this is explicitly recommended anyway)?

Capture.PNG

Sorry to double post, but would love some help with this since I'm new to messing around with my storage drives. I also have some general questions if someone could help me out with those as well: Is partitioning the OS on my 1TB SSD even necessary? If so, how can I move the OS to the smaller 120gb partition like it was intended to be? If not, how can I remove the partitions to have the full drive back instead of having partitioned? Thanks to anyone who can help out!

I believe windows just makes its own partition on the drive when it is installed, prior set partitions be damned, dont quote me on that, the last time I moved windows to a ssd, it just made its own partition so I dont think it is necessary to create a partition for windows, hope this helps! 

In regards to the partition issue, you might be able to use third party software to just reallocate the space to the larger part of the drive.

You'd have to reinstall and correctly select the right partition this time. Quicker than changing layout.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

10 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

You'd have to reinstall and correctly select the right partition this time. Quicker than changing layout.

I thought windows makes its own partition upon installing

If you select free space it'll make one, but if you select an existing one it'll use that.

The friend likely made one, but then left the empty space selected when clicking next. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

So I just removed the empty partition via Disk Management and used AOMEI Partition Assistant to extend the current boot partition to include the 117.19gb one I previously deleted. I'm now back to the full SSD size, but part of my original question still remains. Is it even necessary to partition the OS on an SSD as far as performance goes? I'm only installing programs/games on it, and I doubt I'll ever get to the full 1TB of space. If there's no real benefits I'll call it a day, but if so, I'd like to reinstall Windows and partition correctly before I need to reinstall too much.

@AzrealNoctis and @Kilrah thanks so much for your replies, didn't know if I'd ever get one ? If you have any insight to my question above, please let me know :)