Interview With Seasonic's Product Manager, Kevin Hu

4960X

We had the opportunity to have a conversation with Seasonic's product manager, Kevin Hu. Seasonic was founded in 1975 and they are one of the first manufacture to make power supplies for the PC industry. They are well respected in the power supply industry and are known for making high quality power supplies. Kevin was kind enough to answer some of our questions about power supplies, and the current and future state of the power supply industry.

https://www.relaxedtech.com/interview/kevin-hu/

I really want Seasonic to release an SFX PSU line. The SFF PSU niche is mostly dominated by Corsair and we really need some competition.

5 minutes ago, 4960X said:

I really want Seasonic to release an SFX PSU line

The heck is this thing then

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/V3ndnQ/seasonic-focus-sgx-450w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-sfx-power-supply-ssr-450sgx

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

3 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

An SFX-L PSU.

Speaking of which:

[RT]: Seasonic's Focus SGX line of SFX-L PSUs is great but the Small-Form-Factor (SFF) community would absolutely love for Seasonic to release an SFX PSU line. Are there any plans in the future to release a consumer SFX PSU line?

[Kevin]: The reason why we started with SFX-L to enter the SFF market is that we consider silence as one of the most important feature for a power supply. We insisted to use the 120mm fan in our first small-form-factor PSU to keep the PSU as silent as possible. While we are working on more efficient and higher wattage SFX-L PSU, our team is also committed to developing an SFX line that can be as silent as the SFX-L even with the smaller fan.

My highlighting in Kevin's response. Quite amusing that the Focus SGX-650 is louder than the SF450 Platinum at all loads. The SF450 at 110% load (495W) is quieter than the SGX-650 at 325W. Keep in mind that the SGX is a larger, SFX-L unit, while the SF is a standard SFX unit. And that the SGX uses a 120mm fan vs the 92mm fan on the SF. Good job, Seasonic...

:)

7 minutes ago, seon123 said:

An SFX-L PSU.

I thought those were grouped together, sfx and sfx-L

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

I thought those were grouped together, sfx and sfx-L

In this context, with the content in the linked interview, absolutely not.

:)